RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I want to re re re emphasize that Matvei credibly told several teams not to draft him. While there's no confirmed report of him directly telling the sharks he wouldn't report (other than vague comments where you can connect the dots), it was obvious on draft day that he was an immense talent. him falling out of top 2-4 had little to do with his hockey.

Exciting to see him in the NHL and happy he's not in the West :p

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I want to re re re emphasize that Matvei credibly told several teams not to draft him. While there's no confirmed report of him directly telling the sharks he wouldn't report (other than vague comments where you can connect the dots), it was obvious on draft day that he was an immense talent. him falling out of top 2-4 had little to do with his hockey.

Exciting to see him in the NHL and happy he's not in the West :p

Yeah, sure, he would have refused to live and play in California...

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I am trying to justify why people are saying that Michkov basically hand picked the team that drafted him - what’s so special about the Flyers for him to refuse to play for Arizona, Montreal and Washington for them ?

Reactions: The Wizard

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I am trying to justify why people are saying that Michkov basically hand picked the team that drafted him - what’s so special about the Flyers for him to refuse to play for Arizona, Montreal and Washington for them ?
Philly is close to New York. Closer than WSH. And Arizona was a dump organization playing in a college arena.

MTL I don't think he would say no to

dendazen

Sep 29, 2024
It was a favorite team NHL team of his father, given what happened to his father in the draft year, I guess he made it his mission to play for the team, considering that in all of his Russian interviews he was praising that his father gave him everything, every day was taking him to Perm for practices 2 hours drive one way. I think that is the main reason.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
It was a favorite team NHL team of his father, given what happened to his father in the draft year, I guess he made it his mission to play for the team, considering that in all of his Russian interviews he was praising that his father gave him everything, every day was taking him to Perm for practices 2 hours drive one way. I think that is the main reason.
Interesting, I didn’t know that. Do you have a link to an article where he says that ?

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA

IDK his reasoning, it's just stuff his agent credibly said:

It seems pretty clear that at least some of the teams who passed on him did so because he said he didn't want to play there.

This article singles out AZ and WSH so I'm not sure about the others, but if he's picking and choosing and your team is going off the board is a reasonable conclusion that, in the interview, it's possible that the player was giving off "don't draft me" vibes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad