RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Being on the radar and being one of the most anticipated players , especially grouped w the 2 best prospects in hockey is just another attempt for your look at me attitude . He doesn’t belong , and 2 nothing games at the end of the season doesn’t change this . Again good prospect , maybe at top 25 guy and he’s plenty interesting but there are levels ..
Lol. That’s what’s been said about Hutson at every new level when he starts there . . . and then he’s elite at that level. I expect the same in the NHL within a couple of years max.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don’t hate the player. I haven’t even watched him enough to form an opinion on him. I would be more excited about montreals future if michkov was in our prospect pool over reinbacher.

That said, I just refuse to believe that the team that i cheer for is run by people so dumb and so gullible that they passed on a can’t miss player because they were afraid of a contract that everyone here on hf knew wouldn’t be a major issue.

This kid ends up being an 90+ point star I’ll have no problem saying my opinion on Montreals drafting team was wrong and they made a moronic move passing on him

Right now the story has not been told so let’s not talk like it has. When michkov has established himself as a better nhler than the players chosen 2-6 i will have no problem admitting that.

If that makes me a hater so be it

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t hate the player. I haven’t even watched him enough to form an opinion on him. I would be more excited about montreals future if michkov was in our prospect pool over reinbacher.

That said, I just refuse to believe that the team that i cheer for is run by people so dumb and so gullible that they passed on a can’t miss player because they were afraid of a contract that everyone here on hf knew wouldn’t be a major issue.

This kid ends up being an 90+ point star I’ll have no problem saying my opinion on Montreals drafting team was wrong and they made a moronic move passing on him

Right now the story has not been told so let’s not talk like it has. When michkov has established himself as a better nhler than the players chosen 2-6 i will have no problem admitting that.

If that makes me a hater so be it
If you haven’t watched him enough to have an opinion, why are you in this thread?

Question goes for a number of people who are purposely taking this thread off topic for their own partisan reasons.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Yeah, we are not trying to make our guys better and we are objective. Celebrini, Michkov and Hutson btw for the entire world, boyz.

Yeah.
Yeah you are absolutely objective by saying Michkov is a generational talent and anything under 100 points for him is impossible and if we dare to say we prefer another highly talented Russian forward as a prospect we are regarded as being a homer, hater, delusional and someone who shouldn’t have an opinion according to you.

If you haven’t watched him enough to have an opinion, why are you in this thread?

Question goes for a number of people who are purposely taking this thread off topic for their own partisan reasons.
Your Michkov thread would be dead if this was a prerequisite. Most people on HFboards base their opinion on what’s out there online, highlights and the WJC, which Michkov have never been played in

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

I have been speculating on reasons why he went 7th. That is allowed. It doesn’t have to be all cheerleading.

I’m not interested in pretending i know more about prospects by watching game tape then guys that spend time with the players and coaches and have dozens of live viewings of the player

And i don’t take those that pretend to know better seriously either

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have been speculating on reasons why he went 7th. That is allowed. It doesn’t have to be all cheerleading.

I’m not interested in pretending i know more about prospects by watching game tape then guys that spend time with the players and coaches and have dozens of live viewings of the player

No, you are in here to muddy the water because your favorite team decided not to pick him and you want to mark your territory that the discussion will be on Habs related terms.

An absolute joke that this type of off topic trolling has been allowed for what seems like two months straight.

Majority of people reading this thread don’t care about whether the Habs passed on Michkov and just want to read about the player.
Your Michkov thread would be dead if this was a prerequisite. Most people on HFboards base their opinion on what’s out there online, highlights and the WJC, which Michkov have never been played in
It’s not my Michkov thread. Most people don’t care if your team passed on the player. You’ve shown no appetite to discuss the player on any terms that don’t relate to your team.

Most people just skip the thread when they see antics like this. Crazy this has been allowed to go on for months and months like this with no instruction to discuss the player on non-Habs related terms.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
1725828172799.png

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Yeah you are absolutely objective by saying Michkov is a generational talent and anything under 100 points for him is impossible and if we dare to say we prefer another highly talented Russian forward as a prospect we are regarded as being a homer, hater, delusional and someone who shouldn’t have an opinion according to you.

Yes, because I have arguments, I have logic and consistent in this. Even than I'm always said that he is 80/90-100 points player with even better ceiling. But I said many times about injuries, mediocre team and questionable management.

And again and again and again you are using false as an argument. I didn't say "if we dare to say we prefer another highly talented Russian forward as a prospect we are regarded as being a homer, hater, delusional and someone who shouldn’t have an opinion" its another pure lie. Is it some kind of illness? I always said that Demidov is high regarded prospect, he is absolutely deserved the hype and mtl made right decision and fans should be absolutely happy, I spent some post on arguing about Demidov who should be and is higher regarded than Reinbacher and that he is more important for franchise. Even if I like Michkov more, I personally think that gap isn't as big and Demidov is in much better place now, so it could be easier for him to turn into player with closer outcome to Kaprizov.
But it was another profanity, not the first one. The only real my beef was about defending "wrong decision of management to draft Reinbacher and protecting it by false narratives". And its not that hard to find in my posts.

Like someone said - Hutson is intriguing prospect, may be top 25 may be even better, but he isn't in the same tier with Michkov and Celebrini, who is great too. At least now. He isn't as physically talented as Celebrini, he isn't as smart and isn't as fast in decision making, both Celebrini and Michkov have everything for their jobs. Hutson should survive as defenseman to prove that he isn't pp qb for easier competitions, that he can survive against big and strong top pros with his size and physics, Michkov proved it against layers in the second best league that he can create and survive, he doesn't need to be defensively good. Even below average would be okay. Celebrini has tools and physics, he has vision to play two way game. Its just a bigger list if questions for Hutson. To call him future dominant defenseman. Its a big gap between Gost and Quinn Hughes and there are many shades of grey. Is he future NHLer? I think so. Will he produce on NHL - I think so. Is he having this two way 70-80 points ceiling? Its harder for him and we just can't pencil him for this yet. Even with his production on NCAA level. Eiserman and Perreault are good examples - both are intriguing prospects, both are productive, both still can't be penciled as NHL prospects with pure elite potential and some kind of star "middle level".
Because Celebrini and Michkov are top prospects, its a rare group. If both will become 60-65 points players it will be bad for their trajectory and expectations - as expectations of fans, as of their team, as of themselves. If Hutson will become 45 points pp qb - it would be very good for him. He doesn't need to prove more, if he can - great. It will open more space for players of his profile.

Reactions: Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

Michkov was drafted in the 2023 draft. The "reason why he went 7th" topic has been been discussed. mostly by you in May, July, and August. The same information has been brought up again and again and you deny said information before coming back awhile later and starting all over again.

No new information has come out regarding "the reason why he went 7th" for a long while and I doubt we will get any new information for a long time if ever.

THE WELL IS DRY!

If this topic still intrigues you so much maybe you should hire a private investigator.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Michkov was drafted in the 2023 draft. The "reason why he went 7th" topic has been been discussed. mostly by you in May, July, and August. The same information has been brought up again and again and you deny said information before coming back awhile later and starting all over again.

No new information has come out regarding "the reason why he went 7th" for a long while and I doubt we will get any new information for a long time if ever.

THE WELL IS DRY!

If this topic still intrigues you so much maybe you should hire a private investigator.
Forwards picked before Michkov:
Bedard
Carlsson
Fantilli
Smith

Pretty good group of guys.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

THE WELL IS DRY!

THE WELL IS DRY!

Ignore my posts and discuss what youd like

Engaging and scolding just takes us further off topic

• Haha

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Why Michkov went 7th is a matter of public record. We heard plenty in the lead-up to his draft that the fears over his 3 year contract and the geopolitical situation were making him slip.

Ignoring that public record and insisting that it must have been something else is just being obtuse in order to imply that Michkov had some sort of other noteworthy deficiencies that would justify passing on him.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Why Michkov went 7th is a matter of public record. We heard plenty in the lead-up to his draft that the fears over his 3 year contract and the geopolitical situation were making him slip.

Ignoring that public record and insisting that it must have been something else is just being obtuse in order to imply that Michkov had some sort of other noteworthy deficiencies that would justify passing on him.
he was the second out of 4 Russians selected in the first round

Most russian picks in the first round since 2020

The geopolitical situation must have just affected his draft position

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jfhabs and Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Flyers’ Matvei Michkov Could Soar in 2024-25 Based on Historical Trends - The Hockey Writers Flyers Prospects Latest News, Analysis & More

Those four finished in the 99th, 99th, 97th, and 68th percentiles for NHL P/G scoring in their D+2 campaigns respectively—that averages out to the 91st percentile. If we go off of this unscientific projection, that would place Michkov at around 75 points over the course of 82 games in 2024-25. Of course, he’s not on the level of McDavid or Crosby and is probably closer to someone like Eichel or Hughes. Still, that’s very promising.

Elias Pettersson of the Vancouver Canucks had similar totals if we look at percentiles. In HockeyAllsvenskan, a professional league in Sweden but not the best (so, somewhat comparable to the VHL), he was in the 97th percentile in P/G during his DY. Taken fifth overall in 2017 by Vancouver, he lived up to that hype in his D+1 season by finishing in the 99th percentile for Swedish Hockey League (SHL) P/G—this is the top league in Sweden and more or less on par with the KHL.

Michkov at this stage is a better prospect than Pettersson was for my money

So to me it sounds like he projects Michkov to hit around 66 points this season with the chance of 75pts.

Pretty good for a rookie.

• Haha
Reactions: Frank Drebin

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Flyers’ Matvei Michkov Could Soar in 2024-25 Based on Historical Trends - The Hockey Writers Flyers Prospects Latest News, Analysis & More

Those four finished in the 99th, 99th, 97th, and 68th percentiles for NHL P/G scoring in their D+2 campaigns respectively—that averages out to the 91st percentile. If we go off of this unscientific projection, that would place Michkov at around 75 points over the course of 82 games in 2024-25. Of course, he’s not on the level of McDavid or Crosby and is probably closer to someone like Eichel or Hughes. Still, that’s very promising.

Elias Pettersson of the Vancouver Canucks had similar totals if we look at percentiles. In HockeyAllsvenskan, a professional league in Sweden but not the best (so, somewhat comparable to the VHL), he was in the 97th percentile in P/G during his DY. Taken fifth overall in 2017 by Vancouver, he lived up to that hype in his D+1 season by finishing in the 99th percentile for Swedish Hockey League (SHL) P/G—this is the top league in Sweden and more or less on par with the KHL.

Michkov at this stage is a better prospect than Pettersson was for my money

So to me it sounds like he projects Michkov to hit around 66 points this season with the chance of 75pts.

Pretty good for a rookie.
Pettersson had amazing advanced stats and was a line driver for his team in Sweden. Michkov struggled last year to exit his own zone and enter the OZ with possession. He also regressed a lot when it came to setting up his teammates/creating chances for his teammates in the OZ. His puck battle wins were also pretty bad in the KHL. The rest however is elite (outside of his D work).

He really doesn’t trend to become a Pettersson or Kaprisov - At least not in the way he play on the ice. I do think he’ll find a way to produce as he has high hockey IQ. 50-60 points would be a very good first season considering how meh Philly is offensively. 70+ points is a wet dream imo. If all goes well, he should peak at 75-80 points with the odd PPG+ season here and there

• Haha

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Excellent observation. Michkov was the first winger off the board
As was Demidov this year. Unlike fans, GM’s tend to value projected top 6 centers and top 4 d-men more than top 6 wings, especially if your team has a glaring need at those positions, most things being equal.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabzSauce

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
No, you are in here to muddy the water because your favorite team decided not to pick him and you want to mark your territory that the discussion will be on Habs related terms.

An absolute joke that this type of off topic trolling has been allowed for what seems like two months straight.

Majority of people reading this thread don’t care about whether the Habs passed on Michkov and just want to read about the player.

It’s not my Michkov thread. Most people don’t care if your team passed on the player. You’ve shown no appetite to discuss the player on any terms that don’t relate to your team.

Most people just skip the thread when they see antics like this. Crazy this has been allowed to go on for months and months like this with no instruction to discuss the player on non-Habs related terms.
Every time we try to steer the discussion back to Michkov, the usual band of trolls takes it right back off topic. And those typically aren't Habs fans.

Let's all just be excited for his regular season debut. I know I'm looking forward to watching, because he's an exciting player.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
As was Demidov this year. Unlike fans, GM’s tend to value projected top 6 centers and top 4 d-men more than top 6 wings, especially if your team has a glaring need at those positions, most things being equal.
Slafkovsky is center? Lafrenier is center? RDs i guess.

Last edited:

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Slafkovsky is center? Lafrenier is center? RDs i guess.
I said “tend to” and “most things being equal.” And Lafraniere, in hindsight, was a mistake. Rags would have been better off with either Stutzle or Byfield.

“My team didn’t take him so they had a good reason and could not possibly be wrong”
I would have taken Michkov. But you need to understand that NHL GM’s tend to value centers and D over wings, most things being equal.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If the draftees are considered in the same tier, then for sure clubs will select the D or C ahead of the winger. But Michkov was in a tier of his own. That class was Bedard and then Michkov and then the next group.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
If the draftees are considered in the same tier, then for sure clubs will select the D or C ahead of the winger. But Michkov was in a tier of his own. That class was Bedard and then Michkov and then the next group.
That’s an assumption - that he was in a tier of his own. Perhaps he wasn’t for some of the teams drafting top six last year.

Reactions: viceroy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad