RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I don’t see any reason why any of Anaheim, Columbus or San Jose would draft Michkov now in a 2023 re-draft. They all wanted top 6 centers. Michkov is not a center. He’s a 5’10” wing, albeit a very talented one. The Habs wouldn’t take him either again. Maybe Utah would take him at 6.

• Haha
Reactions: Hockeypete49

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
I guess I just disagree and would be interested to see how lopsided it'd be in a poll.

If you removed the "russian factor" of the geopolitical climate when he was selected (being one year removed would probably lessen this impact), his contract commitment, and him actively telling some clubs that he didn't want to play for them, I don't believe there is a way in which he wouldn't go Top 5.

It is also reflected in the fact that Michkov is favorited for the Calder everywhere over Will Smith, who was selected 4th. And this isn't by HF pundits but hockey writers and professionals across the spectrum.
don't forget Hutson

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I don’t see any reason why any of Anaheim, Columbus or San Jose would draft Michkov now in a 2023 re-draft. They all wanted top 6 centers. Michkov is not a center. He’s a 5’10” wing, albeit a very talented one. The Habs wouldn’t take him either again. Maybe Utah would take him at 6.
The post above yours suggests that the Flyers may actually try him at centre . If he becomes a center ( I have no idea if it would be a success ) would they change your evaluation? He certainly has the iq to play the pivot but could be a rough ride w that added defensive responsibility given the limited experience there .

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I totally agree with you there was obviously some other things they didn't like about his profile (which were stated multiple times by our organisation) If it was just the contract they would have taken him. I don't understand why you are getting push back on this take anyways only time will tell if they made a mistake. If the kid is a 100 point player does it even matter why we passed on him? We will probably have egg on our faces regardless if he does ends up a franchise player. He also denied interviews all year and they didn't get to know him very well. Since 2019 we have changed our draft strategy and character is a huge thing they are looking for
Yet we have Lapointe saying it was absolutely a factor /concern . Dress it up how you want / deny it etc but tell me why he would specifically mention the contract / uncertain time frame if it wasn’t a factor …

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I totally agree with you there was obviously some other things they didn't like about his profile (which were stated multiple times by our organisation) If it was just the contract they would have taken him. I don't understand why you are getting push back on this take anyways only time will tell if they made a mistake. If the kid is a 100 point player does it even matter why we passed on him? We will probably have egg on our faces regardless if he does ends up a franchise player. He also denied interviews all year and they didn't get to know him very well. Since 2019 we have changed our draft strategy and character is a huge thing they are looking for
I’m getting pushback for two reasons

1. The cult of Michkov refuses to believe that there could possibly be something about michkovs game that caused him to fall to 7

They tell themselves that nhl execs are idiots and were simply afraid of the russian factor and the khl comtract

2. Anti habs trolls that get their kicks by fantasizing about montreal being mismanaged and habs fans agonizing for two decades about missing out on this player

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I’m getting pushback for two reasons

1. The cult of Michkov refuses to believe that there could possibly be something about michkovs game that caused him to fall to 7

They tell themselves that nhl execs are idiots and were simply afraid of the russian factor and the khl comtract

2. Anti habs trolls that get their kicks by fantasizing about montreal being mismanaged and habs fans agonizing for two decades about missing out on this player
1. A cultist complaining about another cult

2. This is a Michkov thread. stop bringing up Montreal and there would be less people talking about it. basic common sense.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

2. This is a Michkov thread. stop bringing up Montreal and there would be less people talking about it. basic common sense.
lol this . Backfamous and Frank Drebin are the Hab/anti fun police . Gotta shoot down any positive talk . Better call Oj for backup !

Last edited:
Reactions: Xirik

test101

Aug 29, 2024
this thread is basically this image. (except the word soy is replaced with whatever flavor of demidov/michkov "cultist" you want)
31c89ba117632aacafe5038caab9cfeb3d4bebcc47051b5c5cd8e237e96b1b5d_1.jpg

Please let's just wait a few years before saying who is better between prospects/players and what decision was a mistake and whatever. In my opinion reinbacher/michkov and demidov are going to be good players but nothing is guaranteed.

Now, since this is a michkov thread, can we focus on michkov? :rolly:

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015

This is the right approach. I get that he's uber talented and guaranteed an offensive role, but you also have Torts there to keep it productive.

He's always going to be offensively inclined, but with his vision and IQ being his best assets, he could turn into a pretty responsible def player too if given the right push. Torts is the perfect coach for him imo.

Reactions: Hockeypete49

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

This is the right approach. I get that he's uber talented and guaranteed an offensive role, but you also have Torts there to keep it productive.

He's always going to be offensively inclined, but with his vision and IQ being his best assets, he could turn into a pretty responsible def player too if given the right push. Torts is the perfect coach for him imo.
This is what I hope too . Torts is hard but more often than not fair .

Reactions: Canadienna

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

I’ve been discussing michkov and speculating on the possible reasons why he slipped in the draft

If you don’t like what i have to say slap a passive aggressive laughing emoji on it and go troll a habs thread somewhere

Lazytrout

Dec 8, 2021

Michkov is one of the more interessing storyline for me this season, can't wait to watch him do his magic against NHL players

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The post above yours suggests that the Flyers may actually try him at centre . If he becomes a center ( I have no idea if it would be a success ) would they change your evaluation? He certainly has the iq to play the pivot but could be a rough ride w that added defensive responsibility given the limited experience there .
He’s not exactly known for his defensive prowess. Ideally, he’s better suited at wing

Lazytrout

Dec 8, 2021
lol this . Backfamous and Frank Drebin are the Hab/anti fun police . Gotta shoot down any positive talk . Better call Oj for backup !
on the same note, Xirik act like the anti-habs fan police, lurking and waiting any chance he get to jump in and ''correct'' them, it's pretty funny

I do agree that some people should let it go, bait posts are easier to ignore than engage with

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
on the same note, Xirik act like the anti-habs fan police, lurking and waiting any chance he get to jump in and ''correct'' them, it's pretty funny

I do agree that some people should let it go, bait posts are easier to ignore than engage with
only about ten of them. TBH

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I’ve been discussing michkov and speculating on the possible reasons why he slipped in the draft

If you don’t like what i have to say slap a passive aggressive laughing emoji on it and go troll a habs thread somewhere
You’re not above passive aggressive emojis yourself

Lazytrout

Dec 8, 2021
As for why Michkov slid to 7 I think his contract was obviously the biggest factor but I was always the impression there might have been some stuff we don't know. It really doesn't matter anywai, we'll know eventually if and who made a mistake not drafting him. It's silly to try and find justification for why said team didn't draft him. Let's just see what happens and point fingers in a couple years instead.

I'll end up with this, I'm a habs fan myself and followed Michkov/Bedard all of their draft year dreaming of what ifs, not drafting him was a shock at first but since then, and with the Demidov pick I warmed up a lot of Reinbacher, still love Michkov and that's why I'm here so I don't want to derail that thread.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
As for why Michkov slid to 7 I think his contract was obviously the biggest factor but I was always the impression there might have been some stuff we don't know. It really doesn't matter anywai, we'll know eventually if and who made a mistake not drafting him. It's silly to try and find justification for why said team didn't draft him. Let's just see what happens and point fingers in a couple years instead.

I'll end up with this, I'm a habs fan myself and followed Michkov/Bedard all of their draft year dreaming of what ifs, not drafting him was a shock at first but since then, and with the Demidov pick I warmed up a lot of Reinbacher, still love Michkov and that's why I'm here so I don't want to derail that thread.
Happy to see that at least 1 Montreal fan acknowledges the incredibly obvious KHL contract factor. My thanks for your rational thought process .

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Well when you keep repeating yourself with untruths after you’ve been corrected they’re more than deserved
lol “ Corrected “ ,even others in your own fan base are starting to acknowledge what is a super obvious to everyone else , and further confirmed by your own head amateur scout. You’ve lost . Take a lap . It was a factor , whether big or small . But sure keep your head in the sand . It’s really a great look

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

Hopefully with Michkov the Flyers get a lot better, just not to much though. As a Devils fan I enjoy watching the Devils beat the Flyers.:devdance:

The Metro division is a lot more exciting when the Devils, Rangers, and Flyers are firing on all cylinders

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
lol “ Corrected “ ,even others in your own fan base are starting to acknowledge what is a super obvious to everyone else , and further confirmed by your own head amateur scout. You’ve lost . Take a lap . It was a factor , whether big or small . But sure keep your head in the sand . It’s really a great look
Is that why ARZ took Simashev over him, who was in the exact same boat contract wise?

Is that why the Habs passed on him at 5th, but had no problem taking Demidov at 5th the very next year, who is in the exact same situation contract wise?

Is that why the Penguins still took Malkin at 2nd overall, despite him having an even worse contract situation than any of the above?

Michkov “dropped” to 5th because teams liked other players better. End of story.

The narrative that he told teams not to pick him makes no sense either. Lindros did that, and the Nordiques picked him anyway, and then traded him for a franchise-altering haul after. Thats the precedent in that type of situation. Imagine them letting him drop to 2nd lmao. That’s what would’ve happened if Michkov was as talented as the fanboys in here would have you believe.

He isn’t.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad