TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
No one felt that the khl contract would actually be a problem

Reinbacher won’t be a regular until Michkovs original deal expired anyway

Teams passed on the player not the contract

Dumb move? Time will tell
He had a 3 year contract . There was no inkling whatsoever that he would be getting out of it early prior to draft . It was a factor whether you want to admit it or not. Maybe it was the right move but certainly not an exciting one

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He had a 3 year contract . There was no inkling whatsoever that he would be getting out of it early prior to draft . It was a factor whether you want to admit it or not. Maybe it was the right move but certainly not an exciting one
So Montreal passed on generational talent Michkov, who wouldn't be able to play in the NHL until 26-27, in favor of Reinbacher, who will be, best case scenario, a sophomore defenseman that year?

You're suggesting that Montreal valued Reinbacher playing in North America that much for 2024-25 and 2025-26 that they were willing to pass on Michkov because of it?

I mean its pretty clear they didn't draft or need to draft a defenseman that was going to come into the league and be an impact player, but somehow Michkov not being available for 3 seasons was a deal breaker.

Makes zero sense to me.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
So Montreal passed on generational talent Michkov, who wouldn't be able to play in the NHL until 26-27, in favor of Reinbacher, who will be, best case scenario, a sophomore defenseman that year?

You're suggesting that Montreal valued Reinbacher playing in North America that much for 2024-25 and 2025-26 that they were willing to pass on Michkov because of it?

I mean its pretty clear they didn't draft or need to draft a defenseman that was going to come into the league and be an impact player, but somehow Michkov not being available for 3 seasons was a deal breaker.

Makes zero sense to me.
They felt so dumb about it that they just drafted another player just like him. It was a mistake at the draft it's a mistake now it doesn't matter about the reasons why.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
They felt so dumb about it that they just drafted another player just like him. It was a mistake at the draft it's a mistake now it doesn't matter about the reasons why.
Montreal's scouting staff already said that they picked the player who would give them the best chance to win in the playoffs. It has nothing to do with timeline or Russian factor. And no one can say that Michkov will be a better player in the playoffs, let's just wait and see.

Montreal already mentioned at the time they drafted Reinbacher that they were interested in Demidov.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
If you say so

I think the original comment is dumb
If Montreal liked michkov they would have drafted him

Then they would have picked whoever they liked the best this year, which would have still been demidov

But, for whatever reason, right or wrong, they didn’t like something about michkov and that is the only reason why the habs don’t have both Russian wingers
I made it clear that being Russian was not why they wouldn’t have taken both. They just happened to both be Russian.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Montreal's scouting staff already said that they picked the player who would give them the best chance to win in the playoffs. It has nothing to do with timeline or Russian factor. And no one can say that Michkov will be a better player in the playoffs, let's just wait and see.

Montreal already mentioned at the time they drafted Reinbacher that they were interested in Demidov.
Who cares though. They had no idea where they’d be drafting . Hab fans are acting like it was some master plan . It’s just silly . You are happy w the Demidov pic ; great . Has nothing to do w last year . They could’ve been drafting 20 th for all they knew . Whether he’s better in the playoffs is anyone’s guess : what we do know is he’s likely to be more impactful given the talent divide .

Reactions: Devonator

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Who cares though. They had no idea where they’d be drafting . Hab fans are acting like it was some master plan . It’s just silly . You are happy w the Demidov pic ; great . Has nothing to do w last year . They could’ve been drafting 20 th for all they knew . Whether he’s better in the playoffs is anyone’s guess : what we do know is he’s likely to be more impactful given the talent divide .
The point was that the team isn't trying to 'fix their mistakes'. And all this talk about the contract, that wouldn't have changed their decision.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
You can tell who never watched the flyers.

Owen Tippett, one of the few offensive bright spots, got a shit ton of playing time over the last season or two despite not infrequent defensive lapses at times
Hasn't Torts publicly said that he gives Tippett more leash because that's how he gets the most out of him? I'm not super worried about Torts and Michkov. I can see it being like one game in the middle of the season he gets benched and that's it. It wouldn't be anything drawn out. Can't see that. He's gonna love him for the most part

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Has there been any explanation why SKA wants nothing to do with this kid? Michkov is a great player but they refused to play him. I'd imagine he'd be the best player in the league for the final two years of his deal but they willingly let him go free. Either the coach doesn't like him or there's something else going on behind the scenes or in the locker room.
Allegedly, they disliked his attitude and how he acted in the locker room and on the ice. Michkov has lazy bouts and tends to cherry-pick at times. But then they picked up Galchenyuk... so who knows really?

The kid will have the opportunity to start anew with a clean slate with the Flyers. I wish him the best.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Allegedly, they disliked his attitude and how he acted in the locker room and on the ice. Michkov has lazy bouts and tends to cherry-pick at times. But then they picked up Galchenyuk... so who knows really?

The kid will have the opportunity to start anew with a clean slate with the Flyers. I wish him the best.

Lol, I bet most (if not all) of these storries were invented by Montreal management or journos to whitewash the organization for not picking Michkov.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Lol, I bet most (if not all) of these storries were invented by Montreal management or journos to whitewash the organization for not picking Michkov.
Why would they make up stories about not picking the player, instead of just picking the player? This is bordering on ridiculous.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Philly, of course. You couldn't pick a worse combo of coach & player if you tried.
Both dudes absolutely hate losing, hence the "Michkov character concern" bs. Same mold as Mackinnon. Seems like a good match to me.

Why would they make up stories about not picking the player, instead of just picking the player? This is bordering on ridiculous.
Because of the crazy blowback they got, obviously.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Because it's hard to pick the player after the draft?
They never had interest in picking him in the first place.

Both dudes absolutely hate losing, hence the "Michkov character concern" bs. Same mold as Mackinnon. Seems like a good match to me.

Because of the crazy blowback they got, obviously.
I don't think HuGo gives a rat's ass about what the fans think . . . nor should they. As Sam Pollock famously said when he the Habs GM, "If you do what the fans want, you'll eventually be watching the games with them."

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Yah why would they ever want the 2 nd best player in the draft ? Whose dynamic ability they sorely lack / lacked ….
We're not arguing with you that they shouldn't have had interest.

But in the end, it all worked out. They got Demidov and Reinbacher. I'd rather be lucky than good.
They were never going to use both 5OA picks on wings, no matter how good they are.

Last edited:

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
They never had interest in picking him in the first place.

I don't think HuGo gives a rat's ass about what the fans think . . . nor should they. As Sam Pollock famously said when he the Habs GM, "If you do what the fans want, you'll eventually be watching the games with them."
Sure, you'll just lose your job like Berg after his Kotka draft failure.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Sure, you'll just lose your job like Berg after his Kotka draft failure.
HuGo have drafted Slaf, Hutson, Rienbacher, Fowler and Demidov so far. I don't think they're losing their jobs anytime soon. Also, MB wasn't fired solely because of one draft pick. That's just a stupid take, bro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad