RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Luckily he’s the most talented player up for the Calder , so perhaps he can win despite Torts .

Torts is about the only one capable of sinking Matvei. The fact any team hired him after he made an ass out of himself complaining about the Zegras/Milano goal being “bad for the game” on National TV is mind boggling. Let these dinosaurs go extinct already.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Number one overall big physical playmaker, two number one overall level players who have potential to be generational, very talented sniper and a couple of solid centers? All them play together?
I think there would be not so many arguments against them, even with average centers.

But again, we will never know. It is a very different picture with Reinbacher. Still very good.
I think firstly there is an assumption that everyone reaches their peak potential or close to it. If we are using that metric other teams will look just as good if not better though.

They have Reinbacher and apparently another superstar Dman in Hutson by my guess is that Montreal isn't exactly scaring a ton of teams yet as potential is one thing but all of it coming together is quite the reach and seldom happens.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I think firstly there is an assumption that everyone reaches their peak potential or close to it. If we are using that metric other teams will look just as good if not better though.

They have Reinbacher and apparently another superstar Dman in Hutson by my guess is that Montreal isn't exactly scaring a ton of teams yet as potential is one thing but all of it coming together is quite the reach and seldom happens.
Its easier to peak when you have better players around you. When they are so good - its a straight line road.

Wait what ? Which Players have generational talent ? It would be a good top 6 if they all panned out but half of them are total question marks / unproven . I do think Michkov does help the outlook tremendously. Oh well
There are two. Go and watch their game, you will find out.

Last edited:

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Why not both ?
Because HuGo was never going to use consecutive 5OA picks on forwards, without snagging a potential top-pairing right D, which was a huge organizational need. BPA, yada, yada, but you can also use the upper end of the draft to help construct a roster. Had they drafted MM last year, they likely would have drafted Parekh or Yakemchuk this year. Reinbacher-Demidov fits their needs more than Michkov-Parekh/Yakemchuk would have. They're just very lucky that Demidov fell to them, obviously.

In the last three drafts they've picked up Slafkovsky, Hutson, Reinbacher, Fowler, Demidov and Hage. That's an impressive haul.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseum but I really hope Torts doesn't stifle his game. I can't see him getting as long of a leash as other Calder favourites unfortunately.
You can tell who never watched the flyers.

Owen Tippett, one of the few offensive bright spots, got a shit ton of playing time over the last season or two despite not infrequent defensive lapses at times

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Its easier to peak when you have better players around you. When they are so good - its a straight line road.
I'm not even sure what this means here as the 2 most important factors are talent level and how it's developed but sure in general better covers means less rushed prospects but does this really apply to Montreal?

It's kind of a mixed bag there.

There are two. Go and watch their game, you will find out.
Generational gets thrown out alot but Michov has been one of the most skilled forward prospects since McDavid for sure maybe only one or two other players can match his offensive skillset in draft day.

Time will tell how much if any of the 2-6 teams in that draft made a mistake.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Torts is about the only one capable of sinking Matvei. The fact any team hired him after he made an ass out of himself complaining about the Zegras/Milano goal being “bad for the game” on National TV is mind boggling. Let these dinosaurs go extinct already.
In his defense, he’s really the only coach who can produce with an abysmal roster, he was going to make play offs with the Flyers if not for the Hart situation

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Because HuGo was never going to use consecutive 5OA picks on forwards, without snagging a potential top-pairing right D, which was a huge organizational need. BPA, yada, yada, but you can also use the upper end of the draft to help construct a roster. Had they drafted MM last year, they likely would have drafted Parekh or Yakemchuk this year. Reinbacher-Demidov fits their needs more than Michkov-Parekh/Yakemchuk would have. They're just very lucky that Demidov fell to them, obviously.

In the last three drafts they've picked up Slafkovsky, Hutson, Reinbacher, Fowler, Demidov and Hage. That's an impressive haul.

This, it was never going to happen. It was one or the other, had the habs grabbed Michkov they were taking a RD in this draft. The habs were extremely fortunate that it worked out as it did after passing on Michkov. Had the habs won the 2nd overall pick in this year's lottery they were going with Demidov, they absolutely love him and have had their eyes on him for a very long time.

They couldn't be more pleased, for whatever reason they just didn't like Matvei and preferred the organizational fit with Reinbacher. Top pairing RD's are hard to come by without drafting them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guess and HabzSauce

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
This, it was never going to happen. It was one or the other, had the habs grabbed Michkov they were taking a RD in this draft. The habs were extremely fortunate that it worked out as it did after passing on Michkov. Had the habs won the 2nd overall pick in this year's lottery they were going with Demidov, they absolutely love him and have had their eyes on him for a very long time.

They couldn't be more pleased, for whatever reason they just didn't like Matvei and preferred the organizational fit with Reinbacher. Top pairing RD's are hard to come by without drafting them.
We’ll see what Reinbacher becomes. Not a given. But they were never taking both Russian wings, rightly or wrongly.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
1721963143248.gif

• Haha
Reactions: kp61c

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
How would they know a year out where they would be drafting ? Like if they finish middle of the pack neither is available to them .
I said they got lucky that that Demidov fell to them but my point was that had they drafted Michkov last year, they would not have taken Demidov this year. But they obviously had no interest in Michkov, for whatever reasons (which we’ll never know exactly what those were).

Reactions: HabbyGuy

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
How would they know a year out where they would be drafting ? Like if they finish middle of the pack neither is available to them .

Agreed, as I said they were extremely fortunate. I personally would have pulled the trigger on Michkov last year, you don't get many opportunities to draft players of his ilk. But they just didn't like him, and went D first.

They lucked out with Demidov.

That said they were never taking both.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Agreed, as I said they were extremely fortunate. I personally would have pulled the trigger on Michkov last year, you don't get many opportunities to draft players of his ilk. But they just didn't like him, and went D first.

They lucked out with Demidov.

That said they were never taking both.
I don’t see the issue at all in taking both ( you can never have too much skill / game breakers ) . Accumulate talent then figure out how everyone fits ; but what do I know , maybe it works out

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
this is so racist in so many levels, not you but the chain of thought
Xenophobia isn't racism. And if you can't acknowledge that there would be SIGNIFICANT risk in choosing to consecutively select 2 players from a region that can't properly be scouted, then you're being deliberately obtuse. Prejudice against their country of origin would have nothing to do with the "chain of thought" you're referring to.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Xenophobia isn't racism. And if you can't acknowledge that there would be SIGNIFICANT risk in choosing to consecutively select 2 players from a region that can't properly be scouted, then you're being deliberately obtuse. Prejudice against their country of origin would have nothing to do with the "chain of thought" you're referring to.

I dunno. For a player who couldn't be properly scouted, Hab fans sure are confident of Demidov's abilities!

Reactions: Fantomas

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
this is so racist in so many levels, not you but the chain of thought
If you say so

I think the original comment is dumb
If Montreal liked michkov they would have drafted him

Then they would have picked whoever they liked the best this year, which would have still been demidov

But, for whatever reason, right or wrong, they didn’t like something about michkov and that is the only reason why the habs don’t have both Russian wingers

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Has there been any explanation why SKA wants nothing to do with this kid? Michkov is a great player but they refused to play him. I'd imagine he'd be the best player in the league for the final two years of his deal but they willingly let him go free. Either the coach doesn't like him or there's something else going on behind the scenes or in the locker room.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad