RW Joshua Ho-Sang - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2014, 28th overall, NY Islanders) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I wouldn't be surprised if MDC makes the team in 2015/16

you could be right..

2 things he has that Strome didn't at the same age

1) Size
2) he can play in all three zones

Strome really had work on his defensive game where as MDC is pretty good defensively for his age...

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
you could be right..

1) Size

Strome really had work on his defensive game where as MDC is pretty good defensively for his age...

Defense is an issue for both MDC and JSH. I could care less about their defensive abilities at this point. Hone their offensive skills. That's what these guys were drafted to do. Put up points. We can worry about defense later.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Defense is an issue for both MDC and JSH. I could care less about their defensive abilities at this point. Hone their offensive skills. That's what these guys were drafted to do. Put up points. We can worry about defense later.

"He quietly goes about his business, not flashy but always good. He kills penalties and plays the point on the power play. Dal Colle is a versatile guy. He's fluid and capable of scoring big goals. He's going to be a really good pro."
-Chris Edwards of NHL Central Scouting

"Dal Colle is a bull who uses his natural talents well. He's got an imposing frame and already shows great balance and strength on his skates. He plays a two-way game, battles hard and displays quick hands for his size."
-Eliteprospects.com

I agree that the Offense is their Bread and Butter but Dal Colle is absolutely NOT a defensive liability..

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
I think people forget these players getting drafted are prospects. Outside of the top 5, there are projects. This is why it frustrates me that the modern NHL does not seem to place a lot of weight on coaching and development. I am a Penguins fan. When an idiot coach can't stand up and say "Letang, you are playing like an idiot. You can skate faster than half the players in the league and score with the best of them, but you pinch like a moron," he should be fired. Immediately. We have two of the best players in the league and constantly get ousted in the playoffs year after year, and people always attest it to choking or something. Coaching and skill development is crucial, and you can't let the players run wild. Ho-Sang has amazing skills, that is the hard part already done. He obviously needs a more well rounded game and to stop being a puck hog from all of your descriptions, that should be the easy part. This guy with the right coach will bloom in the NHL. We need more guys like Herb Brooks. For example, I'm curious to see how Ovechkin plays now after Trotz semi-called him out in the media. It is sad that people almost write off a player before he even plays an NHL game.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
"He quietly goes about his business, not flashy but always good. He kills penalties and plays the point on the power play. Dal Colle is a versatile guy. He's fluid and capable of scoring big goals. He's going to be a really good pro."

"Dal Colle is a bull who uses his natural talents well. He's got an imposing frame and already shows great balance and strength on his skates. He plays a two-way game, battles hard and displays quick hands for his size."
-Eliteprospects.com

I agree that the Offense is their Bread and Butter but Dal Colle is absolutely NOT a defensive liability..
Coming from someone who has watched him for the past two years, he definitely needs to work on his defense. It's not completely missing like it is with Ho-Sang, Dal Colle puts in effort, but he's not a stalwart by any stretch of the imagination. He needs to learn defensive positioning and assignments still. The effort is there, so it's not at all a concern.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Coming from someone who has watched him for the past two years, he definitely needs to work on his defense. It's not completely missing like it is with Ho-Sang, Dal Colle puts in effort, but he's not a stalwart by any stretch of the imagination. He needs to learn defensive positioning and assignments still. The effort is there, so it's not at all a concern.

I said he was "pretty good defensivelyfor his age"

was not trying to imply hes Bergeron Nielsen Datsyuk Toews level defenders, but the kid def is committed to the the defensive side of the game and will get better..

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Don't think I would have traded up for him if I was new York. Guy's talented but seems like to much of a head case for me.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site

-Eliteprospects.com

Not that I have any opinion whatsoever about MDC's defensive abilities, but being a PK'er does not make a player effective defensively. Guys who can forecheck, skate, and anticipate can be good PK'ers but being meh in their own zone. See Michael Grabner for an example.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I said he was "pretty good defensivelyfor his age"

was not trying to imply hes Bergeron Nielsen Datsyuk Toews level defenders, but the kid def is committed to the the defensive side of the game and will get better..
Even for his age he isn't quite there. He is by far the weakest of the top 4 forwards taken.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Well to be Fair Reinhart and Bennett are exceptional defensively.

Fair enough.

I don't think we're far apart, I'm more or less just stating that he still needs a lot of work, but the effort is there to build from. He'll be fine.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I liked at the draft when Garth Snow said, "hey, they **** on me too", and it froze that humorless prude Duthie. Then the camera fixed on Snow as he looked down at the desk, and appeared to reflect on what he said.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
So it seems Ho-Sang was a huge hit today at the Islanders Development Camp.

Matt Saidman @MattSaidman
Ho-Sang is miles and miles away from any other forward out here. He already skates like an NHLer #Isles
6:03 PM - 8 Jul 2014

Matt Saidman ‏@MattSaidman
I came away from today's #Isles camp very impressed with Ho-Sang, both on and off the ice. Aside from his taste in tv shows #GossipGirl

Daniel Friedman @DFriedmanOnNYI · 7h
Man, this Ho-Sang kid can fly. Almost looks like someone's hitting the speed burst button. #Isles

Daniel Friedman @DFriedmanOnNYI · 6h
He's got a bit of a personality to him, but Ho-Sang is a good kid. He's just more outspoken. Ridiculous that he slipped in the draft. #Isles

Jeff Capellini @GreenLanternJet · 6h
If this hockey thing doesn't work out, Josh Ho-Sang should run for office. Dude's the mayor of Uniondale already. #Isles

Looking forward to watching him skate in the prospects game on Thursday night.

Here is an interview he gave today:
[NHL]628060[/NHL]

Last edited:

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
you could be right..

1) Size

What?

Isn't Dal Colle like 170 lbs on a 6'2 frame?

Barzilla

Sep 16, 2009
Dirty O
After watching the prospects game last night, this kid can flat out skate. He's shifty and has the wheels to skate right by you. That breakaway goal he scored was very impressive. I hope someone posts a video of it in here.

He did try to so alittle to much stick handle 2-3 times but he learned from it, and got two assists on the shortened scrimmage. I guess he's just so selfish, can't play with anyone and is a total head case though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad