Value of: RW - Igor Larionov, Jr., Torpedo Novgorod (KHL), (2018 NHL Draft, never selected)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Couldn't find any information about him other than an article at the start of last season when the Russia media was critical of his father for signing him to a KHL contract despite an unimpressive career both in junior and pro hockey.

He ended up with decent numbers last year in 36 games and is now in his second season with Torpedo.

Is there something to his game as a 25-year-old "late bloomer" or are those numbers merely a reflection of the dominance of Torpedo and the club's wide open style of play?

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
8 points in 16 games is thread worthy?

Am I missing something?
I think his father may have been a decent player, which is likely why some may consider it thread worthy (you may not)... in case that wasn't apparent by the post title, or you haven't been around hockey long enough to know the name.

OP also posts a question about whether or not he was a "late bloomer"; people who watch the KHL can probably opine on that here pretty easily, and some might find it an interesting discourse.

On the other hand, perhaps you weren't really missing something, and it was likely just a nasty little jab of a post at someone who created a topic of interest on a forum.

Cheers

Reactions: Dr Awesome

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think his father may have been a decent player, which is likely why some may consider it thread worthy (you may not)... in case that wasn't apparent by the post title, or you haven't been around hockey long enough to know the name.

OP also posts a question about whether or not he was a "late bloomer"; people who watch the KHL can probably opine on that here pretty easily, and some might find it an interesting discourse.

On the other hand, perhaps you weren't really missing something, and it was likely just a nasty little jab of a post at someone who created a topic of interest on a forum.

Cheers

I was born in the 60's, so I know Larionov senior well enough. The question was purely a what am I missing here... is 0.5 ppg at 25 years old indicative of a later bloomer in the KHL? He's outside of the top 100 in scoring in the KHL... in a league where AHL veteran Ryan Barber in his first year in the KHL, is top 10 in scoring. The OP thought something about Larionov's performance was worth talking about, I looked it up... and then asked what am I missing here... I mean, legit question no?

Maybe, maybe not, but this certainly wasn't post-worthy by you.
Thankfully you provided some real quality here.

Reactions: Hawkeye8

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Cheers
Not to be nitpicking (and maybe you were just understating on purpose, if so disregard this being pointed at you) but to call his father a decent player is like saying Mark Messier was a decent player.

The Professor is one of the best and certainly smartest centers of all time and was the center of both one of the greatest lines in hockey history, the KLM line….and much later on, one of the best and most successful 5-man “units” in the NHL with Detroit.

Of course the points of Larionov Jr being not even remotely in the same stratosphere as his dad are valid.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
It's an important year for him, since alot of NHL will follow Torpedo to see Anton Silayev. Also, the Habs will follow them closely this year (and next) because of Bogdan Konyushkov.

Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
value of?
ELC from a team like the Sharks maybe, where he'd likely end up in the AHL. But his stats don't indicate he belongs in the NHL.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
OP need to dig a little to understand JR has had injury problems even since his JR days. His name only got him so far

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
JR is a legit KHL calibre player but that’s his peak. Good on him though because when he signed there, it looked like a nepotism signing he didn’t deserve. He’s played well enough to prove people wrong but he’s pretty much at his peak now I imagine.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
OP need to dig a little to understand JR has had injury problems even since his JR days. His name only got him so far

Thanks for sharing that. Knew little other than what I'd read in the nepotism article from last year - and a cursory look at his stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad