RW Daniel Sprong (2015, 46th, PIT; traded to ANA)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Embarrassing prospect management by the Penguins.

Pretty much exactly what not to do with an 18 year old prospect. Piss away a year of their ELC but don't make it worthwhile for their development from a playing time perspective.

Not sure what's going to happen in Charlottetown or even what I prefer to happen, but at least if they miss the playoffs or make them and get bounced early he can join the baby Penguins sooner and make up more of that lost playing time.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Agree again. Also Perlini and Gauthier.

Plus put Marner and Strome back in the list and there's no room for Sprong.

He's a nice prospect but reading things like "he would be the best player on team Canada" or even "he would %100 make the team" are silly to me.

well i have to say after watching team canada
i can say sprong would not have been best player

he would have been by far....

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Seems to be adjusting to life back in the Q well. 6 goals in his first 4 games.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
Would you have taken Sprong first round?

He was taken 46th overall, but I remember some posters would have been happy if their team had taken him with their first. To me, he's looked good in his exposure to the nhl game. Not to say that highlight reel goal he just scored in the Q. So, it sounds like his attitude scared some teams off, but if you had a pick in the 20-30 range, would of you taken a gamble on him? I would of. Pittsburg has a future 30 goal scorer in his prime if he keeps on this pace. Thanks for your time.:)

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Sure, had him 16th on my list.

Pretty high chances he becomes a top 6 winger with that skill level. If we're only taking skills into account, his skillset isn't less impressive than Konecny, Marner or Barzal IMO. His toolbox ain't quite as good but still. He can be a sniper at the NHL level.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I would consider it. Depends where my pick would be, as a Flyers fan, there's no way that I would draft him over Konecny.

But I would prefer Sprong over these players: Carlsson, Merkley, Juulsen, Senyshyn, DeBrusk, Zboril.

My answer is, yes, I would draft him late in the 1st round.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
the wild picked around 20. if i were the wild gm sprong had the speed & skill i would have been looking for. we went with the conservative pick ek erikson. 21st pick was colin white whose doing great in college hockey. you never know for sure.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
Flyers POV, if we we're picking at 24 again, I take Konecny over Sprong, even though Sprongs a good player

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
When Philly was sitting at #29 I was fine with going after him because I wanted a potential steal. I wanted a guy with high upside, as opposed to someone who was a safer pick with less upside.

Happy we got Konecny, disappointed Pitt got Sprong.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
How has he been playing in the Q so far? His production looks good, not great, but his team also looks like they aren't scoring much to help him out.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think he should be top 20-25 in a re-draft.
Maybe, the draft was insanely deep. I see some guys he could pass such as Svechnikov, and the two boston forwards, but guys like White, Konecny, Boeser, and Aho, have improved theirs. I can see him maybe sneaking top 25, 20 might be pushing it. Also, some of the concerns about him seemed to extend past the ice, so team may still have those reservations.

DangleSprong

DekesFromAmsterdam
Oct 24, 2013
PEI
What's everyone thoughts on Sprong's progression?

He's upped his PPG slightly from last season from 1.29ppg to 1.39ppg. He had quite the goal scoring drought where he scored 1 goal in his last 9 regular season games. But has 12 points in 8 playoff (1.5ppg).

His two way game has improved to the point where he does engage more on the backcheck when the game is tight and is more responsible in his own end. He's no two way player by any stretch of the imagination but he doesn't have to be.

His team was 17th/18th in the QMJHL before his arrival and finished 9th at the end of the season. Had the third best record since Christmas.

The Hockey News has him just outside their top 50 NHL affiliated prospects while Corey Pronman (ESPN) has ranked him 4th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad