News Article: Rutherford confident Penguins are ready for playoffs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This is 10000000% true. Everyone in the organization believes this.

guy-with-a-plan.gif

Look, that said I bet on virtually every board of every team there are threads like this. Well except for the teams dreaming of the first overall pick.

So technically in a way he is correct but only regarding the collective suckage in the NHL. There really is not a dominant team or teams in the NHL this year. There are three or four on a tier above where the Pens are, who by comparison only seemingly are better set for the playoffs, but that tier is not sky high.

So I guess we can honestly say that in a world where the best looking chick is Roseanne Barr we might have a chance in a beauty contest.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yeah there just aren't any great teams out there this season.. Its not a stretch to see them winning the thing if they can make it to the ECF's, but the first two rounds will be the big test...

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'm happy. If they fail, it's 100% with their team and their moves. If that doesn't wake them up, nothing will

Not sure how getting a combined 4 goals this year from forwards Shero drafted over the entirety of his time here is "JR's team", but sure, failure to win a cup this year should "wake them up".

Maybe wake them up into trying to go back in time and fire Shero, I guess.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm happy. If they fail, it's 100% with their team and their moves. If that doesn't wake them up, nothing will

But Kunitz still had issues with the iron deficiency, we really missed Maatta, and Dupuis. Oh and Downie is undisciplined.

They already have built in excuses ready. At least a young defense can't be blamed anymore.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Not sure how getting a combined 4 goals this year from forwards Shero drafted over the entirety of his time here is "JR's team", but sure, failure to win a cup this year should "wake them up".

Maybe wake them up into trying to go back in time and fire Shero, I guess.

Man, your passive-aggressiveness is the Bee's knees, man. The Bee's knees.

Bees don't have knees, goddamnit.

Edit: in the middle of something, will give a more-substantial reply when I'm done, but suffice to say you're wrong. They spent assets acquiring players that fit their vision. They chose to do that because they thought they were close. They had offers that would allow them to change their 3C and 2Lw. They chose not to. Because they're happy with this team.

Actually. **** it, here's my reply to you: the excuse that Shero make mistakes is irrelevant when they are the ones feeling like the roster is completed. Further, if you don't feel it's complete, you don't make the Winnik or Despres moves. They are happy with this roster. Shero's existence notwithstanding.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Aiastelmon, let me just say that while I enjoy your posts, I know that you do not enjoy many of mine. I understand the issue: you're a person who sees a move and wants to watch it play out and develop before you make a judgment.

I prefer to take my knowledge of the situation(s) and make an immediate proclamation. You (probably) assign this to some sort of fanaticism or emotion, when the reality is, I just believe that, more often than not, a situation doesn't need time to fully flesh itself out.

I have knowledge and I have instincts and I am more than comfortable applying both in forming my opinion. I don't believe in hindsight. My way has worked out quite well for me. If you don't appreciate its finer aspects, that's cool. I don't expect everyone to be a fan of my brilliance. But it's probably pointless for you to concern yourself with it. You take your time, let things play out, and we can get have a powwow in a few years and see how it all played out.

The Penguins are arrogant. They are beyond confident in their way, their players, their beliefs, their system. They don't see an issue with Kunitz or Sutter or Ehrhoff or Scuderi or whomever else you or this board might have an issue with. They see themselves as having one of the best rosters in the entire NHL.

I believe they are wrong. I believe their process is flawed. I believe their approach to roster building is flawed. It is my sincere hope that, IF I'M RIGHT it's enough to bring them over to the correct way of thinking.

And, let's face it. I'm not wrong. Q_Q

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah there just aren't any great teams out there this season.. Its not a stretch to see them winning the thing if they can make it to the ECF's, but the first two rounds will be the big test...

There may not be that many "great teams", but there aren't many pushovers either. Every round is going to be very competitive. I guess not being the favorites could do them so good, but it's going to be a tough, tough schedule to get to the finals.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Aiastelmon, let me just say that while I enjoy your posts, I know that you do not enjoy many of mine. I understand the issue: you're a person who sees a move and wants to watch it play out and develop before you make a judgment.

I prefer to take my knowledge of the situation(s) and make an immediate proclamation. You (probably) assign this to some sort of fanaticism or emotion, when the reality is, I just believe that, more often than not, a situation doesn't need time to fully flesh itself out.

I have knowledge and I have instincts and I am more than comfortable applying both in forming my opinion. I don't believe in hindsight. My way has worked out quite well for me. If you don't appreciate its finer aspects, that's cool. I don't expect everyone to be a fan of my brilliance. But it's probably pointless for you to concern yourself with it. You take your time, let things play out, and we can get have a powwow in a few years and see how it all played out.

The Penguins are arrogant. They are beyond confident in their way, their players, their beliefs, their system. They don't see an issue with Kunitz or Sutter or Ehrhoff or Scuderi or whomever else you or this board might have an issue with. They see themselves as having one of the best rosters in the entire NHL.

I believe they are wrong. I believe their process is flawed. I believe their approach to roster building is flawed. It is my sincere hope that, IF I'M RIGHT it's enough to bring them over to the correct way of thinking.

And, let's face it. I'm not wrong. Q_Q

Wait, so you're saying bringing in 10 to 15 new players every year to finish builder our roster is not the right thing to do? :sarcasm:

Despite having Crosby and Malkin, if the team continued to draft and develop players the way they SHOULD HAVE like the Hawks and Kings who also won Stanley Cups we would be in a much better situation. This win now attitude that the Pens have had for years killed them, next thing you know Crosby and Geno are 34-35 and we never even got back to the SCF\

But you're right, 1 of the biggest problems is arrogance and it's starts from the top.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Uh they beat LA and the Caps recently and handled the Wings a loss(not Sunday's game but the last one at Consol) when they had a full complment of players.

I agree with JR. This is a good playoff team, IF everyone is healthy.

They won against LA on the scoreboard but didn't win with the eye test IMO.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Pens management doesn't care..

They're printing $$ and charging $100/seat for regular season games in peanut heaven... in a blue collar city with an average annual income of ~$50K. In a brand new arena paid for by blue collar taxpayers. That's what you call winning.

I'm sure Mario / Ron Burkle don't take the playoff losses too hard when they look at their financial statements.. follow the $$.

Until fans stop showing up at games, which will never happen, you can expect more of the same.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012

They're printing $$ and charging $100/seat for regular season games in peanut heaven... in a blue collar city with an average annual income of ~$50K. In a brand new arena paid for by blue collar taxpayers. That's what you call winning.

I'm sure Mario / Ron Burkle don't take the playoff losses too hard when they look at their financial statements.. follow the $$.

Until fans stop showing up at games, which will never happen, you can expect more of the same.

Except ticket prices have gone down in the aftermarket and last year things got a little hairy with the sellouts.

Burkle is too good of a businessman to not notice this far before it becomes a serious problem. The pens organization may make some bad choices or run things the wrong way. But nothing they have done screams not caring.... the contrary actually.

Michael8771*

You're very wrong about that. I know they've had to practically giveaway tickets to a few games both this year and last just to keep the streak alive. Don't get me wrong, the demand is largely still there, but it's not as much as it was say three years ago. If this team keeps dropping off so will the fan base.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Except ticket prices have gone down in the aftermarket and last year things got a little hairy with the sellouts.

Burkle is too good of a businessman to not notice this far before it becomes a serious problem. The pens organization may make some bad choices or run things the wrong way. But nothing they have done screams not caring.... the contrary actually.

You're very wrong about that. I know they've had to practically giveaway tickets to a few games both this year and last just to keep the streak alive. Don't get me wrong, the demand is largely still there, but it's not as much as it was say three years ago. If this team keeps dropping off so will the fan base.

Wrong. Check Stubhub.. I don't know where you guys are coming up with these ideas. Tickets are in demand and priced high.

Cheapest ticket against AZ (worst team in league).. $100. You guys are cray.

http://www.stubhub.com/pittsburgh-penguins-tickets/

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
Wrong. Check Stubhub.. I don't know where you guys are coming up with these ideas. Tickets are in demand and priced high.

Cheapest ticket against AZ (worst team in league).. $100. You guys are cray.

http://www.stubhub.com/pittsburgh-penguins-tickets/

I go to about 5 games per year usually. This year I have gone to more like 15 as I have gotten free tickets from ticket holders and I have gotten convinced to buy tickets as they were so cheap (paid 40 dollars on craiglist for 3 different games, about 10 rows back in uppers for all of them).

My evidence is anecdotal, but I'm not sure using stubhub as a gauge for ticket demand is always great. The average ticket buyer is a little more savvy now and more likely to use other outlets. Not to mention this is the playoff push so tickets in more demand.

Ticketmaster retail prices are incredibly high too and last year the playoff tickets didnt go fast.

If the pens played better at home this would all be a non issue, but they suck at home. Who wants to pay to see that consistently

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Who cares if they've gone down in after market? How does that effect the Pens?

In the short term, people are buying the tickets at the high list prices. I only went to one game this year and bought it the day tickets went on sale. The cheapest seats I could fine were over 100 a ticket.

There is still a long ass season ticket waiting list. Cassius is right here. The Pens are likely monitoring fan interest, but it's really not a concern.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Because it indicates a clear trend re: fan interest in the team/league?

You're right the the bottom line isn't touched, though.

For now.

Yeah I mean long term that trend will hurt. I just think it will take a long time to see the negative effects hit them financially.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Not to mention - I'm sure merchandise sales and advertising/partnership revenues are at an all time high too.. Pens are in great shape financially.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I mean long term that trend will hurt. I just think it will take a long time to see the negative effects hit them financially.

I hope that's the case. For the sake of the fans that still care and the city, itself.

But I'm of the opinion that fan interest can dry up pretty damned quickly. People already don't have the entertainment dollars to spend they once did. The league is taking steps backwards. The Penguins are finding new and interesting ways to make laughingstocks out of themselves as every season clicks over to the next.

I think it could change pretty fast.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not to mention - I'm sure merchandise sales and advertising/partnership revenues are at an all time high too.. Pens are in great shape financially.

For sure. And Root is one of the most watched NHL broadcasts for a local market. I don't remember the specifics, but I remember reading about that.

The point is, the Penguins popularity is very much still on the rise in Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad