Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Whether he would or would not have made the team this fall isn't really all that relevant as from what we've heard it was the team not guaranteeing him a starting spot on the our playoff roster 3 gamed before the end of the year that was the deal breaker for him.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't know what makes people think Lambert and Chibrikov are more developed than McGroarty. I mean, they might be, or not. He might be more NHL ready than they are. We don't have any direct comparison data.

He could replace Barron, or Appleton, or Iafallo, or even Ehlers if he won't extend. Not saying we should give him one of those spots. But there is room if Jets wanted him on the roster.
Maybe people make that assumption because they've achieved success at a level of play (AHL) that's closer to the NHL equivalent than Rutger has (NCAA)

Kile Connor was 1.87PPG in his freshman year at Michigan, whereas Rutger was 1.0

Last season, as a sophomore, he was 1.44

Nothing concrete since they are different types of players, but it provides a reference point

As for replacing Barron or Appleton, I don't think he has the skating or the defensive awareness to play their roles in the NHL yet. With Iafallo, you need to watch him closely to realise how sneaky-good he is along the boards as a puck hound in the offensive zone - Rutger doesn't have that

Style of play is different between college/junior and pro. So is the pace of play. That's why it's usually a good idea to let a prospect learn the style at a lower pace (AHL) rather than trying to get them to adapt to both at the same time. I'd argue that doing that actually sets youngsters back, and ultimately can stunt their long term growth. I'd attribute some of the recent top 5 picks "busting" to them being rushed to the NHL

Reactions: GJF

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
The experiences of Heinola, Stanley and McGroarty are fundamentally different.

Stanley would be very lucky to have gotten any opportunity with any other team given what he's shown. That he's even on an NHL roster is frankly amazing. If his camp thinks he's being held back in WPG, they are drunk.

We can pull out like 15 quotes from McGroarty in the last few months about how happy he was that the Jets werent pressuring him to leave college and told him to focus on a championship and they'd do business after the season. We have 4-5 UFA wingers in the next year and lots of room on the team for prospects who earn a spot.

Heinola, you can put a legitimate case for poor development and bad luck.

Murat should not be writing articles supporting any of McGroarty's nonsense in the middle of a negotiation. If he wants to use prospects to support a narrative, it needs to be balanced - Heinola (bad) vs Scheifele, Lowry, Copp, Trouba, Morrissey, Ehlers, Hellebuyck, Connor, Laine, etc etc etc (good).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Seems that most are starting to clue in on the Jets needing to do a better job with their young players.
Part of it can be the messaging to players. Young players might want to be told we see you in this role in the future on the Jets, while the Jets messaging is we need your skating/transition play/positioning to improve to this level etc.

I find that Murat is so negative about the Jets even when we put up a huge season last year. Its a bit annoying his doom and gloom reporting
Yeah I find him trending this way as well. At one time he seemed to be much more balanced.

Reactions: Jets 31

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Stalkers never think they are stalking
I don't think you know what stalking is... had that person who posted it went thru all his likes to see this then yes, that would be stalking, but opening up a winnipeg jets post and seeing who liked it is not stalking...

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad