Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed that it would be a risk but I think this org needs to start taking more of them if they actually want to win it all.

I agree they need to be bolder, more aggressive but that is more like buying lottery tickets as a retirement plan.

I think it has to be structured so that the risk is acceptable.

Reactions: surixon

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I just don’t really see it with Laine his last 4 seasons due to injuries, missed games, Player assistance, he has registered 12, 26, 22, and 6 goals. Towards the end of his tenure here he was part of the locker room drama, never really happy with his deployment etc.

Either way my give a shit factor on Laine is pretty much close to zero, if we trade for him I will be happy for you guys but I’m less rosy on what the outcome might look like.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I don't agree with that. 2 years away is a long time to a 20 YO. 1 year away to a 21 YO is not nearly as long. It is just too close to UFA at that point. Or maybe he narrows the field to just 1 team he will sign with, like Fox did.

The sooner it gets done, the better.
Maybe his buddy Cutter tells him how much losing night after night sucks

• Haha
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Sean Renyolds has gone full on tin foil hat on McGroarty . Saw him on Winnipeg Sports Talk today. Basically calling McGroarty's previous enthusiasm a fraud. He thinks McGroarty has been treated well by the Jets and he is pulling a Trouba by manufacturing a reason to want out .He thinks he never wanted to be here . If he's right it's actually worse than Trouba because McGroarty wants out before even suting up for a frigen game.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Sean Renyolds has gone full on tin foil hat on McGroarty . Saw him on Winnipeg Sports Talk today. Basically calling McGroarty's previous enthusiasm a fraud. He thinks McGroarty has been treated well by the Jets and he is pulling a Trouba by manufacturing a reason to want out .He thinks he never wanted to be here . If he's right it's actually worse than Trouba because McGroarty wants out before even suting up for a frigen game.
Remis had some light speculation along those lines when the news first broke too. "Did he just have the wool over our eyes the whole time?"

Reactions: kenobiwan

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I know the Jets will likely take the high road ... But if it's true that McGroarty's issue is NOT developmental, then that narrative needs to be challenged. Otherwise more future prospects will think twice about signing here due to a potentially false narrative.

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
The one thing with Laine is the dream still lives. What if his stint in the player assistance program allowed him to find himself and refocus his life? And now at age 26 he starts working towards the player he can be? If you got him for a song and retention it could turn out to be one hell of a move. He probably is 100% loyal to the organization going forward and just maybe we get the player we drafted 2nd O/A in 2016 after all. Or maybe I'm just grasping at straws? :laugh:

My thoughts and what I've been trying to explain when I started the Idea of it possibly being a great move for us last week.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
An 18 year old kid would have to be a sociopath to come to develop camp last year and put on that performance and not really mean it
Not 100 percent disagreeing. But by that same token, if that enthusiasm (and apparent lock step mindset on where he sees himself long term with the team ) was all real and genuine , you would think that profile of a person would try just a bit harder to repair any misunderstanding and have a bit of a longer leash with the team that drafting him. I'm not so sure that at least some of that enthusiasms was manufactured given the situation we are in now. If he was getting the exact same development path with a big market US team, I'm not so sure he would be this desperate to get out.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Not 100 percent disagreeing. But by that same token, if that enthusiasm and (apparent lock in step mindset on where he sees himself long term with the team ) was all real and genuine , you would think that profile of a person would try a bit harder to repair any misunderstanding and gzve a bit of a longer rope with the team that drafting him. I'm not so sure at least some of that was manufactured given the situation we are in now. If he was getting the exact same development pathwith a big market US team, I'm not so sure he would be this desperate to get out.
So hard to speculate without knowing exactly what happened

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Did I miss something with all this Laine talk?
Did he say he wants to come back to the Jets?
Is he training ... getting into shape for his comeback?
I find there's 2 kinds of people .... people who say just talk about doing something and then there's the people who don't talk and just do it.
Maybe instead of Laine posting pictures of himself on the beach or eating healthy food on social media how about posting pictures of yourself working out.
Sorry too many red flags for me from his past ... what happens if a new fortnite is released in the fall?
Sure I enjoy a good comeback story ... I hope he successes but that $8.7 M is untouchable for a contending team even at 50%.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Did I miss something with all this Laine talk?
Did he say he wants to come back to the Jets?
Is he training ... getting into shape for his comeback?
I find there's 2 kinds of people .... people who say just talk about doing something and then there's the people who don't talk and just do it.
Maybe instead of Laine posting pictures of himself on the beach or eating healthy food on social media how about posting pictures of yourself working out.
Sorry too many red flags for me from his past ... what happens if a new fortnite is released in the fall?
Sure I enjoy a good comeback story ... I hope he successes but that $8.7 M is untouchable for a contending team even at 50%.

You did
No, he has been silent since entering the players assistance program. The rumor started based on the belief that he loved the city.
I am sure he is training. He took a mental leave of absence not physical.

When the offseason has been almost silent, the hope that Winnipeg re-acquires a player who had such a strong impact on the team is enticing. It is the allure of a teenager who had 80 goals in 155 games to start his career. It is the hattrick Laine, or even the 5 goal Laine that we dream of having.

It's this:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Waddell openly confirned that he is trying to find a move for him for a re-start. Both sides are trying to make that happen.
Meanwhile, multiple WPG media voices said that they heard Laine would like to come back to Winnipeg. One source (I think it was one) said that he heard Chevy was listening or working on a deal.

Waddell also confirmed that Laine is on a good way and about to leave the player programme. For the record: a player can be traded while in the programme but the League needs to approve it. However, other teams aren't allowed to talk directly to a player in the programme but they are allowed to talk to his agent.

All that was during the days leading up to July 1st. Nothing heard of it since. There is no confirmation from any side about actually having contact between CBJ/Laine and WPG. But it makes a lot of sense that Laine would be interested in coming back, IMO. It is only rumored though.

Besides WPG, the only team having been mentioned in rumors around Laine AFAIK is MIN. But also purely based on media rumor.

As Chevy didn't sign any cap relevant contracts over the last two days, maybe it has partly to do with him needing the cap space for the Laine trade. Again - purely speculating here.

All of the CBJ side Info is easy to find an re-read in the CBJ player thread on their board.

Bottom line: it is the only trade rumor besides McG out there right now - but nothing more. Intetestingly enough, CBJ is one of the 3-4 teams having been mentioned by multiple sources of wanting McG.

*Edit

I just realized this is the McG thread so sorry for turning it into the general rumor thread. For any more discussion, let's take it over there.

Last edited:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
An 18 year old kid would have to be a sociopath to come to develop camp last year and put on that performance and not really mean it
1720075268568.gif

American Psycho!!!

I think the Jets should just be willing to accept the 2 nd round compensation in 2027 draft…

They could get more by trading his rights before the August 15 2026 UFA deadline …. But set the tone and narrative and make him wait the entire 4 years to become a UFA.

McGoatery wants to be playing in the NHL in April 2025 using up his 1 st year of hus ELC…

If he gets hurt in college in 2024/25/26 and never plays an NHL game ( like Jets draft pick Foley) …. The Jets still get a 2nd round pick as compensation.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
So hard to speculate without knowing exactly what happened
Very true but i can only see Rutger's side wanting this to become public not Chevy. This looks like a kid seeing another kid getting what he wanted and now he wants that too . I wouldn't be happy about this if Rutger was a 1st overall draft pick let alone where he was drafted. I really hope Chevy waits to get what he wants on this one.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Retention and a favourable price. Like a good return on Mcg and/or Ehlers.

Over his last several years. The last year maybe not that either, though he didn't play much.

He could be a good player, but he would be a big risk.

If we got both retention and enhanced return on McG (within reason) I think there is even room to sweeten from the Jets. It’s starting to feel like a complicated deal but I could see the motivation from Columbus’s side. Getting the boy band back together, swap big contract of an asset that needs change winger for winger and that aligns age wise with your young emerging future core.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
No space for him? On the Jets? You're joking right?

Who is he suppose to replace? Barron? Appleton? Especially since Lambert and Chibrikov both are further than McG in their development.

If he blows them away at Training Camp - sure okay. But that is part of the entire argument to begin with. If he earns it, okay. But you can't gift him a spot. Who do you want to take out of the lineup for him without having him played for even one minute on NHL ice? What If he doesn't win a spot in camp since he refuses to play any games in the AHL?

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
There was only two 17 year olds in all of Div 1 hockey that I was aware. Cellebrini and Buim.

Yes, NCAA play less games but more of a pro experience at the big schools like UND and Denver. Top notch training facilities. UND may be better than the Jets with their altitude training on campus. Fly charter, top hotels etc…..
There is also a transfer portal where teams like Central Michigan stock up on players 20+ years old.

NCAA May not play a lot of games but the league is pretty damn good. Wait till CHL players start moving to the NCAA once the rule change is official.
and yet I'v got a list of Hobey baker finalists who went on to accomplish pretty much nothing...... guys like Bobby Butler. or Jimmy Vessey....

tweeners and flops...

NCAA is 100% not the pro league and 100% not a guarantee of development.
Sure KFC did it...and Sure Makar...but the odds for flop are better than Hero.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Reynold is pretty good reporting on the Jets so if this is true I hope Chevy screws McG over and makes him the full 2 years. Sure the Jets lose a player but it’s worth it to teach these kind of players a lesson.
I think is time for the Jets to invest in more scouts watching Canadian kids or at least watching more CHL games.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Waddell openly confirned that he is trying to find a move for him for a re-start. Both sides are trying to make that happen.
Meanwhile, multiple WPG media voices said that they heard Laine would like to come back to Winnipeg. One source (I think it was one) said that he heard Chevy was listening or working on a deal.

Waddell also confirmed that Laine is on a good way and about to leave the player programme. For the record: a player can be traded while in the programme but the League needs to approve it. However, other teams aren't allowed to talk directly to a player in the programme but they are allowed to talk to his agent.

All that was during the days leading up to July 1st. Nothing heard of it since. There is no confirmation from any side about actually having contact between CBJ/Laine and WPG. But it makes a lot of sense that Laine would be interested in coming back, IMO. It is only rumored though.

Besides WPG, the only team having been mentioned in rumors around Laine AFAIK is MIN. But also purely based on media rumor.

As Chevy didn't sign any cap relevant contracts over the last two days, maybe it has partly to do with him needing the cap space for the Laine trade. Again - purely speculating here.

All of the CBJ side Info is easy to find an re-read in the CBJ player thread on their board.

Bottom line: it is the only trade rumor besides McG out there right now - but nothing more. Intetestingly enough, CBJ is one of the 3-4 teams having been mentioned by multiple sources of wanting McG.

*Edit

I just realized this is the McG thread so sorry for turning it into the general rumor thread. For any more discussion, let's take it over there.

If we end up trading McG for Laine I will be way beyond pissed, even if Laine's presence convinces Ehlers to stay.

Even if Laine rediscovers his shot and his game, he is nowhere on the list of Jets needs.

Reactions: Huffer

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Very true but i can only see Rutger's side wanting this to become public not Chevy. This looks like a kid seeing another kid getting what he wanted and now he wants that too . I wouldn't be happy about this if Rutger was a 1st overall draft pick let alone where he was drafted. I really hope Chevy waits to get what he wants on this one.

I don't want to rush and take back a bad return - but I don't think waiting particularly improves the return. If anything it is just the opposite.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Who is he suppose to replace? Barron? Appleton? Especially since Lambert and Chibrikov both are further than McG in their development.

If he blows them away at Training Camp - sure okay. But that is part of the entire argument to begin with. If he earns it, okay. But you can't gift him a spot. Who do you want to take out of the lineup for him without having him played for even one minute on NHL ice? What If he doesn't win a spot in camp since he refuses to play any games in the AHL?

I don't know what makes people think Lambert and Chibrikov are more developed than McGroarty. I mean, they might be, or not. He might be more NHL ready than they are. We don't have any direct comparison data.

He could replace Barron, or Appleton, or Iafallo, or even Ehlers if he won't extend. Not saying we should give him one of those spots. But there is room if Jets wanted him on the roster.

Reactions: Bigfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad