Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
and then look at Adam Fox.... i think the caliber of player matters more here. Rutger is a recent mid-1st and seems to be trending well & has tools for a pretty safe NHL floor, he'll get opportunity

i think you're overstating things a bit. If it is true that the Jets said you have to go to the AHL for this year, getting NIL $$$ playing in college + college lifestyle at Michicgan for 1 year i don't see as a huge deal. Perhaps better than AHL ( :dunno:, IllegalCurve guys was saying the NIL money is comparable but 0 proof) & evidently a path he is comfortable going.

There's potential of injury call ups for sure, over the years it isn't guaranteed it's been a young prospect guy though (ie: toninato, AJF or kuhlman off waivers).

IMO the Jets aren't going to let him walk to UFA for nothing, i know fans on here say "let him rot" "let him sit" etc. but that's another wasted or underperforming 1st round pick from the Jets. At least capitalize on an asset while it still has some value - that's good asset management. so he will dealt get next year if he still is refusing to re-sign and probably play in the NHL. so 1 year behind your buds idk to me isn't enough to fret over.
I am not saying to never trade him under any circumstances. I am saying that we tell Rutger we will not be trading him under any circumstances and call his bluff. Obviously if the right move comes around, you can make it. But to be out actively shopping him is the wrong signal.

Rutger might believe that he's fine with just one more year in college if he gets a deal next year. But he might not be fine in college if we tell them he's stiuck there until 2026 unless he signs in WPG. Its a game of chicken and we don't need to flinch.

There is long-term value, especially in Winnipeg, to protecting the franchise's rights to drafted players, especially high-end 1st round picks. To play that game, your analysis would be "its better to not get optimal value for Rutger McGroarty here in 2024 so that we aren't dealing with this garbage again anytime in the medium or long-term."

Reactions: FrankGallagher

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed. I was trying to say the same thing. Didn’t articulate it as clearly, apologies if it came across as I was implying otherwise.

Dude is smelling his own farts like it’s perfume after a good world juniors. Like yeesh.

If perfetti is having problems with the speed of the game I can only imagine how it would impact Rutger. You can’t do too much about speed. Most of it needs to be compensated by hockey iq, positioning and experience. A lot of which is garnered in the AHL.

I didn't miss take your post. Sorry if I implied that. :laugh:
Just expanding on it a bit.

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
McGroarty’s camp never said they weren’t talking to the Jets. McGroarty’s camp refused to talk to Friedman.
This might be splitting hairs a bit, but if I were GM and got a trade request from McGroarty or even Trouba/Kane as RFAs, I would give them very specific instructions: if asked, you and your camp are to deny all rumors of asking for a trade and we want you to say that you love the organization and want to play/sign here long-term.

Not always doable, especially when you are dealing with personalities like Kane or Overhardt/Trouba. But its really in their interest to deny it.....as it makes a deal much more likely. The second it becomes public, their value decreases and makes a fair trade a lot less likely.

Once its public and not denied by the player, I would tell them to hang in there cause this could take years and they have no one to blame but themselves and their agents.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Who is this guy? Thinking has entitled to step into the NHL right away like he is top-five pick of a draft year.
After development camp last year There is so much hype about him being the next future captain of the Jets
Oh that captain-leader-of-men-character player BS is all out the window. And coincidentally - a lot of his "value" was stocked up in that. Kyle Connor almost doubled McGroarty's production in their freshman years. Get real kid.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I am not saying to never trade him under any circumstances. I am saying that we tell Rutger we will not be trading him under any circumstances and call his bluff. Obviously if the right move comes around, you can make it. But to be out actively shopping him is the wrong signal.

Rutger might believe that he's fine with just one more year in college if he gets a deal next year. But he might not be fine in college if we tell them he's stiuck there until 2026 unless he signs in WPG. Its a game of chicken and we don't need to flinch.

There is long-term value, especially in Winnipeg, to protecting the franchise's rights to drafted players, especially high-end 1st round picks. To play that game, your analysis would be "its better to not get optimal value for Rutger McGroarty here in 2024 so that we aren't dealing with this garbage again anytime in the medium or long-term."
Or alternatively deal him for something and capitalize on an asset, and just not draft these players again.

This is the first time it's happened in 14 drafts to a high 1st rounder....so make a supposed point that's not guaranteed to even stick, for something that's not even a common occurrence?

Idk to me if the relationship is beyond repair I'm not losing a draft pick of his caliber for nothing just to hope this sets some stern precedent of a 1/14 occurrence.

If the Jets had other American 1sts that wouldn't sign within a few years or CHL prospects 1sts within 2 years, then yeah a precedent probably needs to be set.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Or alternatively deal him for something and capitalize on an asset, and just not draft these players again.

This is the first time it's happened in 14 drafts to a high 1st rounder....so make a supposed point that's not guaranteed to even stick, for something that's not even a common occurrence?

Idk to me if the relationship is beyond repair I'm not losing a draft pick of his caliber for nothing just to hope this sets some stern precedent of a 1/14 occurrence.

If the Jets had other American 1sts that wouldn't sign within a few years or CHL prospects 1sts within 2 years, then yeah a precedent probably needs to be set.
Not drafting these players again means not drafting any Americans planning to goto College. Given that the US makes up most of the growth in youth hockey, that is a non-starter.

Both Cutter Gauthier and McG pulling the same shit in the same year.....that could be a one-off, or it could be a new trend. Who knows.

But if the choice is between a 2nd round compensatory pick + sending a message to every kid in the future vs a late first from some vulture team + bad precedent, I am going with the former.

Reactions: WolfHouse

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

What counts as "capitalizing on the asset"? Would you accept the same offer as the Flyers did for Gauthier? That is probably the best one can hope for if the Jets are intent on trading him no matter what and Cutter is a much better prospect than McGroarty. That type of trade would be awful for the Jets.

Being comfortable with holding on to his rights for 2 years is the best course of action rather than an artificial deadline like the draft, TC or the trade deadline or next year's draft/TC. That gives the Jets a chance to be in on any new opportunities popping up like another good prospect or player falling out of favor with their org (imagine if Philly had held on to Gauthier instead of panic trading him, they'd have gotten a much better prospect today) and even if nothing pans out it is not the end of the world as we still get a compensatory pick and don't lose an asset for nothing. Is a 45th overall pick that much worse than Drysdale whose value I imagine is close to a late 1st or an early 2nd at this point?

I am only moving him if I am getting great value, like a similar type of prospect or an established good player with term. I am not moving him for a prospect that was once highly touted but has fallen in value (Drysdale/Krebs etc) or mid-late 1st round pick which all things considered don't have that much more value than the compensatory pick.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What counts as "capitalizing on the asset"? Would you accept the same offer as the Flyers did for Gauthier? That is probably the best one can hope for if the Jets are intent on trading him no matter what and Cutter is a much better prospect than McGroarty. That type of trade would be awful for the Jets.

Being comfortable with holding on to his rights for 2 years is the best course of action rather than an artificial deadline like the draft, TC or the trade deadline or next year's draft/TC. That gives the Jets a chance to be in on any new opportunities popping up like another good prospect or player falling out of favor with their org (imagine if Philly had held on to Gauthier instead of panic trading him, they'd have gotten a much better prospect today) and even if nothing pans out it is not the end of the world as we still get a compensatory pick and don't lose an asset for nothing. Is a 45th overall pick that much worse than Drysdale whose value I imagine is close to a late 1st or an early 2nd at this point?

I am only moving him if I am getting great value, like a similar type of prospect or an established good player with term. I am not moving him for a prospect that was once highly touted but has fallen in value (Drysdale/Krebs etc) or mid-late 1st round pick which all things considered don't have that much more value than the compensatory pick.
wasn't aware that they receive the 45th overall pick. a 2nd round pick 2 years now, is another 3 years away from being anything with high % chance of them not even playing out a full ELC of gp. Drysdale has more value than that i think you're writing his career off way to early based on being a dumpster fire team that has made the top-10 of their draft their home the last 5 years. in any case, i move him for help now, a prospect or draft pick of similar tier any of that given the alternative is a 45th overall pick which we likely don't see until play an NHL game until ~2030 (assuming it's the 2026 draft). a mid to late 1st or Drysdale still has more value than a mid 2nd round pick. do you think philly trades Gauthier for 2x2nds? i dont think so but :dunno:. also a 1st in trades has more value as well as higher chance of nabbing a difference maker in the nhl.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Both Cutter Gauthier and McG pulling the same shit in the same year.....that could be a one-off, or it could be a new trend. Who knows.
If McGroarty is successful, that makes the next move like this by a NCAA player all the more likely IMO. These NCAA guys already have the 'wait 4 years in school and I'm an UFA' option. This appears to be the new shortcut.

I'd secretly love Chevy to let him sit two more years, that would certainly send a message to NCAA players and their agents, but Chevy's job is to make the Jets better and this would not do that.

I suspect he waits until he gets an offer he can work with and then Rutger is gone, joining other Winnipeg fan favourites like Kane and Trouba.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If McGroarty is successful, that makes the next move like this by a NCAA player all the more likely IMO. These NCAA guys already have the 'wait 4 years in school and I'm an UFA' option. This appears to be the new shortcut.

I'd secretly love Chevy to let him sit two more years, that would certainly send a message to NCAA players and their agents, but Chevy's job is to make the Jets better and this would not do that.

I suspect he waits until he gets an offer he can work with and then Rutger is gone, joining other Winnipeg fan favourites like Kane and Trouba.
The cats already out of the bag for the top NCAA guys. McGroarty is just following the new play book. Chevy moving him will have no impact on future players as they already know the new leverage play. Chevy just needs to get as much value back as possible, and then be very careful with anyone heading to the NCAA in the future.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Perfetti saucing passes to Laine? Yes please. Just let Laine be Laine. Don’t try to reinvent him.
If we got him back, you have to reinvent him to some extent. There isn't much place in today's NHL, for a player who just takes saucer passes and doesn't do much else. Did you see even a single player in the playoffs play that role? He would no doubt help our PP, but I would hope as his career goes on and he gets himself mentally healthy, that he works on becoming a much more complete player, including the dedication to the off ice work needed. Saying that, I'm probably more open to bringing Laine back than most posters around here.

Reactions: Snot Rocket

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Chevy really needs to take care of the Rutger issue. Apparently he was close at the draft with Minny, but that ship has sailed. I'm not sure he is going to get a premium prospect back? While Rutger is a good prospect, he is still is only likely to be a middle 6 winger in the NHL. And his so called leadership qualities have taken a pretty significant hit. I think Chevy needs to take the best deal possible over the next few days and move on. There seems to be enough interest to get pretty good value back. Maybe something like Barron and Beck from the Habs. 2 good prospects/young players, a center and a RHD, a notch below blue chip, but both likely to be NHLers in some capacity.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I think Chevy really needs to take care of the Rutger issue. Apparently he was close at the draft with Minny, but that ship has sailed. I'm not sure he is going to get a premium prospect back? While Rutger is a good prospect, he is still is only likely to be a middle 6 winger in the NHL. And his so called leadership qualities have taken a pretty significant hit. I think Chevy needs to take the best deal possible over the next few days and move on. There seems to be enough interest to get pretty good value back. Maybe something like Barron and Beck from the Habs. 2 good prospects/young players, a center and a RHD, a notch below blue chip, but both likely to be NHLers in some capacity.
No way ... Chevy has to stand firm on McGroarty.
Just check out the other teams social media ... every fan base in the US wants McGroarty even the Hab fans.
Goal medal Captain of the USA juniors ... its almost the same frenzy as when LaFreniere won for the Gold for Canadian Juniors. I'm not saying McGroarty is at the same level as him but its the same buzz in the states. I still think McGroarty signs with the Jets in September.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No way ... Chevy has to stand firm on McGroarty.
Just check out the other teams social media ... every fan base in the US wants McGroarty even the Hab fans.
Goal medal Captain of the USA juniors ... its almost the same frenzy as when LaFreniere won for the Gold for Canadian Juniors. I'm not saying McGroarty is at the same level as him but its the same buzz. I still think McGroarty signs with the Jets in September.
GMs make trades not fans. McGroarty is probably as over rated as a prospect can be with fans. The evidence seems to be GMs aren't drinking the same Kool Aid.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

NCAA guys don’t “have to wait 4 years”

it’s 100% their own choice.

they could enter a jr draft if they want.
they choose the NCAA And delaying their. careers

more I honestly believe they hinder their development because they play so few games against amature boys when if they went the typical pro route they would already be playing against professional men.

I’ve seen as many college players flop as I’ve seen hit … and more than a few Hobbey Baker award finalists.

Reactions: hockeyarena

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
NCAA guys don’t “have to wait 4 years”

it’s 100% their own choice.

they could enter a jr draft if they want.
they choose the NCAA And delaying their. careers

more I honestly believe they hinder their development because they play so few games against amature boys when if they went the typical pro route they would already be playing against professional men.

I’ve seen as many college players flop as I’ve seen hit … and more than a few Hobbey Baker award finalists.

The AHL is full of players around the college age. The only disadvantage the NCAA has for me is the number of games they get to play. It's not like kids drafted out of the CHL are playing against men yet either, 95% of them get sent back to junior until they're 20.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
GMs make trades not fans. McGroarty is probably as over rated as a prospect can be with fans. The evidence seems to be GMs aren't drinking the same Kool Aid.
The GMs job is to put fans in the seats.
The first GM of Tampa ... Phil Esposito after signing the first female to an NHL contract stated: "I don't care what anybody thinks, I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't using it for the publicity. The fact is, if I could put a horse in goal ...." if it bring people to the game.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad