Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
That’s too bad, seems to be a good player.

Hopefully they can flip him for something good.

From captain material to ..
Haha that's one thing I was thinking, this guy was supposed to future captain material, Mr. intangibles, team player etc. when we drafted him so I thought no way there will be any issues arising with this guy. Fast forward to today and here we are..

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
From here on in, I don't care how glowing a Jets prospect is on being a Jet including any long term talk. ,I'm taking any of that chatter with grains of salt moving forward.:mad:

Would love to have been a fly on the wall during McGroarty's pre-draft interview with the Jets . Wondering If the the Jets asked him something along the lines of " How would you feel, if we draft you, on a development path that could include some initial time in the AHL" and if he responded with something like " oh yeah for sure, I would do what you think is best for my development "

Obviously most prospects would say whatever they feel is expected of them . But the body language and the way you come across I'm sure is noted by the teams doing he interviews.

IF it went down like that, ( McGroarty being as pro want-to-be-here with the team as he was in the media) - I'm wondering if the Jets themselves will start to take what prospects tell them during interviews with large grains of salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeyarena

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
Normally I think young players can't be entitled about getting ice time or what role they want, or when they'll get brought up. Gotta earn it. But in this case with McG I think the Jets have bungled things. We're not a market most players would choose. When you do draft well and develop talent, give them a shot. This relationship souring is a serious question mark on Winnipeg's part imho.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Normally I think young players can't be entitled about getting ice time or what role they want, or when they'll get brought up. Gotta earn it. But in this case with McG I think the Jets have bungled things. We're not a market most players would choose. When you do draft well and develop talent, give them a shot. This relationship souring is a serious question mark on Winnipeg's part imho.

Except we don't actually know if McGroarty was asking for a shot or a guarenteed roster spot. I see those as 2 different things.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He woujld have been given a shot in TC and if he earned a spot, he would have been given one...just like it should be.

McG for Kulich and a 2nd in 25?

Personally, I don’t think he gets a shot at the opening day roster by having a good training camp.

I think the organization would want him to spend some time in the AHL. We are in a win now mode and I don’t think that aligns with prospects going from the NCAA strait into the NHL. I am not saying TNSE are wrong either. If McG did well I could see him getting called up to the Jets by mid season (if injuries occur) or by the start of the 2025-26 season.

My 2 cents

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sammy the scarf, on Kenny and Renny post- draft show, made a lot of sense. he said this probably doesn't happen without what cutter did. cutter started something, and all the Canadian teams should be concerned (and likely are).

can't draft Russians or yanks anymore

There's been a few before. Fox, Kerfoot, Vesey, Hayes off the top of my head. Generally most of them waited the full 4 years but more and more players are just saying nope early.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If the rumors are true about McGroarty ... he is not signing with the Jets the NHL needs to step in and change the rules
If a 1st round pick doesn't want to sign ... the team is rewarded a 1st round pick or the players has to sit for 7 years.
Who knows maybe teams are tampering telling rookies how to holdout.
I'm tried of seeing small market teams getting shafted.

#NHLJets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff just told the assembled media here in Las Vegas that he didn't have an update on the Rutger McGroarty situation, other than he won't be attending development camp next week.
Absolutely f***ing not. Even if we disregard the latter part, which the NHLPA would laugh at uncontrollably, why do you deserve compensation for picking a prospect who doesn't want to be with your organisation? You have scouts to figure out that well ahead of time.

We have actively made ourselves a worse landing spot for prospects. We're in no position to complain and ask the league for help, when it's coming back to bite us.

Reactions: Bigfish

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I will reserve judgment until we find out if he demanded an NHL roster spot or wanted to play in a game last year to start his ELC. If he demanded only NHL then screw him and his camp….If he wanted to start his ELC last year and we used the BS excuse about being in the hunt for home ice and not giving him 5 min on the 4th line for one game the Jets are stupid.

I’m sure the truth will come out when all is said and done… Until then it is all a guess who is at fault.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Would like you to expand on this a bit please. Especially compared to clubs that are better than us at this.
Preferring veterans over prospects in roster construction, not giving up proper chances for prospects to prove themselves (/setting them up to fail in roles that they aren't suited for), over-cooking prospects in the AHL (largely tied to the first point, and likely relevant regarding McG), coaches deploying systems that complicate promoting new talent into meaningful roles. Examples of these have been posted numerous times by numerous posters.

If I was McGroarty, it wouldn't be the first two points I was worried about - the Jets have generally been alright with top prospects, although most of them were promoted into an AHL level roster a long time ago. But as for the latter two, I'd absolutely want a guarantee that I didn't have to spend 2+ seasons in the AHL earning nothing, with the potential of only getting a fourth line job with no prospects of becoming a top six guy down the line (because there wasn't a top six spot open and nothing was done about it).

This whole issue could be down to numerous factors, but as not all of them are in the Jets' hands, I think it's best to focus on those that are - treating prospects well, making roster decisions that support their careers, and so on.

Reactions: robertocarlos

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Absolutely f***ing not. Even if we disregard the latter part, which the NHLPA would laugh at uncontrollably, why do you deserve compensation for picking a prospect who doesn't want to be with your organisation? You have scouts to figure out that well ahead of time.

We have actively made ourselves a worse landing spot for prospects. We're in no position to complain and ask the league for help, when it's coming back to bite us.
Do you know the whole story?
Maybe he agreed with the Jets and someone a year later talked him out of it and showed him how to play the system.
Calgary had to trade away the rights to Adam Fox because he did not want to sign there .... I'm sorry but that's BS.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

There is already compensation if a 1st round pick doesn't sign for a team... it is a pick in the 2nd round at that same spot. The Jets got such compensation when Atlanta wasn't able to sign Daulton Levelllie, Jets got a compensatory 2nd round pick which turned into Comrie. The compensatory pick needs to be moved to the same spot in the first round. You can't predict the mind of an 18 year old 2 years in advance. Offering the same pick as compensation would go a long way to help teams recover assets and also give teams some leverage in situations such as this.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Maybe he agreed with the Jets and someone a year later talked him out of it and showed him how to play the system.
Players and prospects do have leverage, and that's a wonderful thing. They have next to no say in who they're drafted by at 18 years of age: it's only fair that they get to exercise the little leverage they have in the beginning of their careers. In McG's case here, returning to Michigan likely costs him money - money that he'll hope to recoup later on by playing somewhere else.

Yes, it's not always beneficial for the Jets, but it can also send the org a message: become an org that players want to play for. I think we've seen that it can happen - and happens, just look at our UFA extensions from recent times.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
As Chevy and others have said, this is a deadline driven league.

Rumours heating up for Rutger are likely due to the draft (if 2024 picks were to be involved) as there is a finite date attached to it. I'm now wondering if Rutger made it clear in April that he had no interest in signing with the Jets ever, and this just has come out now because of trade chatter as we near the draft and that imposed deadline. Both parties said the right things in April, but Chevy has secretly been working the phones pre-draft. EF finds out as one team or source has loose lips - or Rutger's camp wants it to be known to put some pressure on Chevy to get a deal done by the draft.

Next deadline likely is TC and start of the season, though Rutger will be back in school by then so an acquiring team wouldn't see him until later in the spring after his season. So the next real deadline would be the TDL in spring. I honestly don't see anything happening until then, unless he's packaged up in another deal that comes sooner.

A cap team may want to add his ELC to their roster, but there is no guarantee that Rutger would make their team. A non-playoff team would have a spot, but are they desperate to get Rutger into their lineup, or would they rather wait?

I'm hoping for a big college year from Rutger that puts his value at an all-time high. Play center. Be their captain. Score 60+ points. Sure it would suck not to have him join the team afterwards in spring, but the return should be better with multiple suitors.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
As Chevy and others have said, this is a deadline driven league.

Rumours heating up for Rutger are likely due to the draft (if 2024 picks were to be involved) as there is a finite date attached to it. I'm now wondering if Rutger made it clear in April that he had no interest in signing with the Jets ever, and this just has come out now because of trade chatter as we near the draft and that imposed deadline. Both parties said the right things in April, but Chevy has secretly been working the phones pre-draft. EF finds out as one team or source has loose lips - or Rutger's camp wants it to be known to put some pressure on Chevy to get a deal done by the draft.

Next deadline likely is TC and start of the season, though Rutger will be back in school by then so an acquiring team wouldn't see him until later in the spring after his season. So the next real deadline would be the TDL in spring. I honestly don't see anything happening until then, unless he's packaged up in another deal that comes sooner.

A cap team may want to add his ELC to their roster, but there is no guarantee that Rutger would make their team. A non-playoff team would have a spot, but are they desperate to get Rutger into their lineup, or would they rather wait?

I'm hoping for a big college year from Rutger that puts his value at an all-time high. Play center. Be their captain. Score 60+ points. Sure it would suck not to have him join the team afterwards in spring, but the return should be better with multiple suitors.
He can leave school and turn pro whenever he wants. If the reports are to be believed, he likely doesn’t want to be at Michigan at all.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
He can leave school and turn pro whenever he wants. If the reports are to be believed, he likely doesn’t want to be at Michigan at all.
Sure, like Lucius, he could leave at any point, but it's pretty disruptive for his college team and if he's there, i would think he there chasing a national championship.

I guess he wants to be in Winnipeg even less than he wants to be in Michigan.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
If the rumors are true about McGroarty ... he is not signing with the Jets the NHL needs to step in and change the rules
If a 1st round pick doesn't want to sign ... the team is rewarded a 1st round pick or the players has to sit for 7 years.
Who knows maybe teams are tampering telling rookies how to holdout.
I'm tried of seeing small market teams getting shafted.

#NHLJets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff just told the assembled media here in Las Vegas that he didn't have an update on the Rutger McGroarty situation, other than he won't be attending development camp next week.
That would never fly in court. I'm surprised the players put up with the abusive restraint of trade right now. Take 'em to court and get rid of the monopoly.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
That would never fly in court. I'm surprised the players put up with the abusive restraint of trade right now. Take 'em to court and get rid of the monopoly.
It's a collective bargaining issue. The players agreed to it

Imagine having an employee you're paying huge dollars to and thay aren't living up to it and you can't just terminate them. That would never hold up in court either, if it weren't for these agreements

You give to get

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Players and prospects do have leverage, and that's a wonderful thing. They have next to no say in who they're drafted by at 18 years of age: it's only fair that they get to exercise the little leverage they have in the beginning of their careers. In McG's case here, returning to Michigan likely costs him money - money that he'll hope to recoup later on by playing somewhere else.

Yes, it's not always beneficial for the Jets, but it can also send the org a message: become an org that players want to play for. I think we've seen that it can happen - and happens, just look at our UFA extensions from recent times.
Well say good bye to your small markets teams if you want rookies to have all the leverage.:huh:
Majority of them will want to play in the major US cities where the night life is great, the weather is great and your money goes a lot further with lower taxes.
Right now the majority of the Canadian kids want to play in the US markets even Burke when he was GM said it hard signing Canadians kids to play in Canada.
And people complain about Chevy not signing FAs ... look at the Flames over playing Huberdeau that caused a few players to leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeyarena

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Sure, like Lucius, he could leave at any point, but it's pretty disruptive for his college team and if he's there, i would think he there chasing a national championship.

I guess he wants to be in Winnipeg even less than he wants to be in Michigan.
I think mostly McGroarty wants to play in the NHL and wants to be with a team that tells him he will be in the opening night lineup. If Chevy had done this I’m guessing he would already be a Jet.

Reactions: ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad