Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I absolutely love Mateychuk. He was billeted across the street from me for his entire time on the Warriors. Smart kid, loves the sport, knows he has talent and is a natural born leader.

Plays a very activated kind of game. He's going to join the rush, he's going to win puck battles. Has a drive to just score every shift or at the very least make things happen. He can be a bit risky sometimes so if he had a partner that would be comfortable just staying back and letting him cook then I think he could excel.

Sounds like a job for one Dylon DeMelo. After we get Ekblad the defence looks like this:

Morrissey-Ekblad
Samberg-Pionk
Mateychuk-DeMelo

Heinola
Stanley

Wowza.......

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Speculation on my part but I suspect this is what Chevy told McG’s camp. Doesn’t seem that is what they wanted to hear.

Sounds like they want some sort of guarantee. I don't think there is anyway to write that into a contract. ELCs are a pretty standardized contract with little room for customization. So how would such a guarantee be enforced?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Sounds like a job for one Dylon DeMelo. After we get Ekblad the defence looks like this:

Morrissey-Ekblad
Samberg-Pionk
Mateychuk-DeMelo

Heinola
Stanley

Wowza.......
I have been hoping for the Jets to aquire Ekblad. POMO will have a great read on Jets players, too.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Chairs have been thrown at the McGroarty household tonight :D

McGroarty learning that

8vd0c8.jpg

Every player that has wanted a trade has had to grind for it. Most of the time it carries on till the last year of their rights with the Jets or after multiple years since making a trade request. Kane apparently requested a trade every season and it took almost 4 years for that trade to happen and even then it took Big Buff taking matters into his own hands for Chevy to make the move. PLD, Trouba, Kane, Frolik all had to grind to get moved. Roslovic may be the only player who has been granted his trade request in short order and he got lucky to be able to piggy back on the Laine trade. Even a player low on the Jets depth chart like Stanley has requested to be traded multiple times in the last few years and still remains a Jet.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
McGroarty learning that

8vd0c8.jpg

Every player that has wanted a trade has had to grind for it. Most of the time it carries on till the last year of their rights with the Jets or after multiple years since making a trade request. Kane apparently requested a trade every season and it took almost 4 years for that trade to happen and even then it took Big Buff taking matters into his own hands for Chevy to make the move. PLD, Trouba, Kane, Frolik all had to grind to get moved. Roslovic may be the only player who has been granted his trade request in short order and he got lucky to be able to piggy back on the Laine trade. Even a player low on the Jets depth chart like Stanley has requested to be traded multiple times in the last few years and still remains a Jet.
No one was getting Rutger at a discount. Perhaps we get a second rounder and some 2025 picks?

I wouldn’t mind a bunch of seconds even. Jets seem to have figured out the second round the last few years.

I could see Chicago throwing some of their picks at the jets. Rutger and their star could compliment each other for the next decade.

Reactions: Stumbledore

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
True. Laid that bed when they committed to Scheifele and Helle.

I was prepared for a scorched earth rebuild last year. This year was surprisingly good (until it wasn't).

Cupboards are emptying, lack of draft picks, at the cap, Ehlers wanting out, top prospect wanting out...

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Chevy is wrapping him up with Ehlers in a bigger deal?
Unless there is a team out there that has for a top line winger, has cap space, willing to give Ehlers an extension and is fine giving up a young NHLer and their 1st...

It's more likely than not he is back for camp

Not saying I know for sure but that's how I'm seeing things play out

Rutger we may have to add to to get what we want. But Ehlers is a pretty big add. If someone was trading a potential star D I could see that working. Not sure who fits that criteria though.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Unless there is a team out there that has for a top line winger, has cap space, willing to give Ehlers an extension and is fine giving up a young NHLer and their 1st...

It's more likely than not he is back for camp

Not saying I know for sure but that's how I'm seeing things play out

I will say Chevy is a tough guy to read. His interview in Vegas was vintage Chevy, i’m glad it was under 5 minutes, that is the perfect amount of time to give to him to talk in riddles. Honestly though, who cares as long as he does his job I guess.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
If the rumors are true about McGroarty ... he is not signing with the Jets the NHL needs to step in and change the rules
If a 1st round pick doesn't want to sign ... the team is rewarded a 1st round pick or the players has to sit for 7 years.
Who knows maybe teams are tampering telling rookies how to holdout.
I'm tried of seeing small market teams getting shafted.

#NHLJets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff just told the assembled media here in Las Vegas that he didn't have an update on the Rutger McGroarty situation, other than he won't be attending development camp next week.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad