Russian prospects at 2014 NHL draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Some examples just from top of my head: Zaitsev and Marchenko (ok, Marchenko had also injury troubles) in 2010, Arzamastsev in 2011, Slepyshev in 2012, Mironov in 2013

Marchenko would have been mid-round pick at worst without serious health problems. Slepyshev, ok, I accept it. However at least he was selected next year.
Zaitsev and Arzamastsev were nothing special, not NHL prospect in my eyes. Mironov´s upside is questionable but I agree that if he had been Swede for example, he would have been drafted for sure.
I have seen all this guys.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Marchenko would have been mid-round pick at worst without serious health problems. Slepyshev, ok, I accept it. However at least he was selected next year.
Zaitsev and Arzamastsev were nothing special, not NHL prospect in my eyes. Mironov´s upside is questionable but I agree that if he had been Swede for example, he would have been drafted for sure.
I have seen all this guys.

It's hard not to call Zaitsev a NHL prospect since he already had an offer from Flyers last summer. Also totally disagree on Arzamastsev - he was tearing it up that year (and also even a year before), also was ranked rather high at CSS final rankings, if he wouldn't have KHL contract that long I'm sure he would've been picked latest at 4-th round.

It's hard to judge on Mironov's upside, but that guy is playing well on a defensively strong Dynamo Moscow KHL team second straight season now, have been a leader of Russian NT's defense at U20, was among the senior NT candidates before this year's WC - I mean, what other signs of upside do we expect from a 19 year old player?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Hey Caser do you have any info on Artur Boltanov? One of the posters on our board is really high on him but i've never seen him play.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
What about Maxim Letunov?

I honestly don't get the hype around him - looks like he is not good defensively, also lacks strength and while he has some attacking assets, he is still far from elite talent at offensive side.

Hey Caser do you have any info on Artur Boltanov? One of the posters on our board is really high on him but i've never seen him play.

Yeah, I can remember the thread you are talking about, but about Boltanov I don't share that opinion. I mean, he has good hands, skating and scoring touch, but again, it didn't look like something special to me. Of course, it might be that the poster have seen much more of him than me, so he can estimate his talents better.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What are your thoughts on Rinat Valiev? He had a good year and might have finally matured.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
What are your thoughts on Rinat Valiev? He had a good year and might have finally matured.

He definitely showed some good progress this season, but I'm still kind of sceptical about him (actually I'm always trying to be sceptical when talking about draft overagers :) ), think that next season will show for sure. Also he should get a place on Russia U20 roster next season, where he also will get a chance to show how good he is.

YashinWorksHard

Jun 14, 2012
Decided to make a small overview about possible draft candidates from Russia to keep it all in one thread (since looks like there is some interest in the topic). Since my opinion was made based on rather limited views, feel free to disagree and make corrections and additions. For some of players I've tried to find comparison from previous year Russian prospects, also tried to make some predictions (it should be fun to take a look back at it after the draft). :)

Top tier
In my opinion those five guys are locks to be selected at the draft:

Ivan Barbashev (QMJHL: 48GP, 25+43; QMJHL PO: 6GP, 4+6; U20WC: 7GP, 1+1) - dynamic winger that can also play center, very competitive (looks captain material to me), smart, nice hands, great playmaking vision - basically a complete skill set.
Comparison: Kuznetsov's skills and vision mixed with Tarasenko's energy and competitiveness.
Prediction: second half of first round, no way that he can slip to second round.

Nikita Scherbak (WHL: 54GP, 26+43) - passionate winger that went from zero to hero - from being unknown even in Russia to a ppg player in WHL. Extremely smart, great hands and passing, controls his body well.
Comparison: since Scherbak is my favorite prospect at this year's draft, please don't take me too serious: he reminds me of young Malkin a little bit.
Prediction: second half of first round, might slip into second round if a lot of teams will not be willing to draft winger or/and dealing with Russians (I should insert smiling SteveY photo here :sarcasm:).

Nikolay Goldobin (OHL: 67GP, 38+56) - skilled offense generating winger who needs to improve on his physical game and work ethics.
Comparison: Kucherov-lite.
Prediction: second half of first round, slipping into second round is very possible.

Vladislav Kamenev (KHL: 16GP, 1+0; VHL: 3GP, 0+1; VHL PO: 1GP, 0+0; MHL: 15GP, 4+6; MHL PO: 5GP, 1+2; U18WC: 5GP, 2+5) - big center from Metallurg Magnitogorsk team, but don't be fooled, it is not the next Malkin (I believe Craig Button got fooled with this thing actually :sarcasm:). Physical guy, can pass and score as well as doing all the dirty stuff.
Comparison: reminds me of Zykov, but more defensive minded.
Prediction: second round - had a strong U18 WJC to be picked higher than 3-rd round, but still got KHL contract for 2 more years that will not allow him to get into first round.

Vladimir Tkachyov (KHL: 2GP, 0+0; MHL: 16GP, 7+12; QMJHL: 20GP, 10+20; QMJHL PO: 6GP, 7+2) - explosive skilled winger, great hands and skating, knows how to score. Showed that he is able to adapt quickly to different hockey style by successfully switching MHL to QMJHL in the middle of a season. Still he is very tiny (by the way, anyone knows his current weight? He is listed as 163 lbs at eliteprospects, so does it mean he finally gained some weight?) and non-physical.
Comparison: Before the start of this season I wrote that he is an improved version of Tolchinsky (that was before Tolchinsky's breakthrough training camp appearance).
Prediction: Despise his size, should be selected in a third round. Interesting is if team that will draft Barbashev will be also willing to get Tkachyov to get a chance to capitalize on their long time chemistry (sound like an Yzerplan, eh?).

Second tier
Those guys have all the talent, but for different reasons (Russian factor, didn't have very impressive season etc.) they can get passed.

Igor Shestyorkin (KHL: 9GP, 2.80, .903; MHL: 23GP, 1.42, .947; MHL PO: 19GP, 1.75, .937 - MHL Champion) - confident and charismatic goalie with some quick reflexes. In his short KHL stint showed that he is ready to play pro hockey and looked fine in a crashing and burning bankrupt Spartak team. Because of Spartak's bankruptcy he might be willing to go to NA immediately, which might raise his draft stock.
Comparison: Varly-lite.
Prediction: Might go in 4-th round, since the talent is definitely there. Rangers have scouted him and they got two picks in 4-th, so...

Arkhip Nekolenko (MHL: 19GP, 2+5; MHL PO: 21GP, 3+11 - MHL Champion) - skilled winger with a good body and nice shot. Was considered as a potential first rounder at the start of the season, but missed more than half year because of injury. His play at MHL play-offs showed that he is fine again. Got the same contract situation as Shestyorkin, so it is also possible that he might decide to go to NA already this summer.
Prediction: 5-th round (this year's draft is not that strong to let pass talent like that).

Maxim Lazarev (QMJHL: 45GP, 13+18; QMJHL PO: 4GP, 1+0) - scoring winger with some skills, but not a physical one and also work ethics need to be improved. Was one of a few bright spots on Russia NT at last Hlinka tournament, but this season was spoiled because of injuries.
Prediction: end of 5-th round if he is very lucky, 6-th round more likely.

Nikita Lyamkin (QMJHL: 65GP, 3+9; QMJHL PO: 4GP, 0+0; U18WC: 5GP, 0+5) - big physical defender that can make a first pass, skating needs to be improved though.
Prediction: 6-th round.

Ivan Nikolishin (WHL: 72GP, 18+41; WHL PO: 5GP, 0+3; U18WC: 5GP, 2+3) - creative, skilled and hard working winger (have also played center before), very competitive, but also lacks size. He is a son of a former NHL-er Andrey Nikolishin and that actually might raise his draft stock, since looks like being a son of a pro hockey player is considered somewhat of a quality mark by scouts these days.
Prediction: 6-th or 7-th round (Wahington got 3 picks in 6-th and 7-th and NikolishinSr. had some good time playing there).

Maybes
Guys that can become a late round steals if selected (had a lot of candidates for this part, but came down with just two guys, so I think a lot of additions can be made here actually).

Denis Orlovich-Grudkov (MHL: 51GP, 20+32; MHL PO: 10GP, 2+6) - hard working winger with good skating, puck handling and decision making, was ppg in MHL this season as a 18 year old (which doesn't happen very often actually). Strength is an issue though, but if he will gain some, he can be very good at the pro level also.

Vladislav Gavrikov (MHL: 45GP, 3+9; MHL PO: 7GP, 0+2) - big calm defender, good at selecting position, can hit. Was one of the best defender at SubwaySuperSeries on U20 Russia NT.

Overagers
Most interesting part: at recent drafts at least one overager from Russia was selected (usually in late rounds), so let's try to guess who could it be this time.

Ilya Sorokin (18 years old; KHL: 27GP, 2.90, .911; MHL: 4GP, 2.69, .917; MHL PO: 2GP, 4.04, .800) - hard working goalie that was constantly playing in KHL this season, getting some decent numbers on a not very strong team. Extended his contract recently and that can make him not very popular at the draft.

Andrey Mironov (19 years old; KHL: 46GP, 3+7; KHL PO: 7GP, 0+1; MHL: 3GP, 0+1; U20WC: 7GP, 1+3) - responsible defender that likes to play physical. Played in his second KHL season, was leading Russia team's defense at U20, made debut for Russia NT this season at the age of 19.

Vyacheslav Osnovin (20 years old, KHL: 31GP, 2+0; VHL: 7GP, 0+0; MHL: 18GP, 5+10; MHL PO: 15GP, 6+5; U20WC: 7GP, 2+2) - smart hard working center that plays a solid two-way game.

Ivan Nalimov (19 years old; VHL: 1GP, 1.00, .966; MHL: 12GP, 2.84, .894; U20WC: 2GP, 2.65, .897) - goalie that was .945 at Subway Super Series, already expressed his desire to go to NA, so some team might want to secure his rights by spending a low round pick.

Nikita Tryamkin (19 years old; KHL: 45GP, 1+6; KHL PO: 4GP, 0+0; MHL: 2GP, 2+1; MHL PO: 1GP, 0+0) - huge physical defender (6'7"/229lbs) that looked good at U20. Needs to work on positioning.

Alexei Bereglazov (20 years old; KHL: 6GP, 0+0; VHL: 10GP, 1+0; MHL: 8GP, 0+3; MHL PO: 4GP, 1+2; U20WC: 7GP, 0+2) - one more big guy from U20 and SSS, was one of the key persons there - tough defender that has also some offensive upside. Not fully established in KHL yet, but that might even be seen as a plus by some NHL teams.

So, to make a bold prediction on total Russian players selected this year: 5 from top tier group, 3 from second tier group and 1 overager.

Tkachev: 5'9, 141 (combine).

Nekolenko, along with the goalie and other 14 players from Spartak youth team, have signed with SKA so their stock will fall for sure.

Let me add some names (to recapitulate).

Pavel Kraskovsky, Nikita Yazkov, Alexander Protapovich, Maxim Letunov, Alexander Mikulovich, Damir Sharipzyanov, Viktor Baldayev.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Tkachev: 5'9, 141 (combine).

That is the data from those pre-combine sheets, not the actually measured. Actual data from combine isn't disclosed yet, unfortunately.

Nekolenko, along with the goalie and other 14 players from Spartak youth team, have signed with SKA so their stock will fall for sure.

They rights now belong to SKA, but did they actually sign any contract? At KHL.ru they have no info about the contract duration, so it looks like it isn't signed at the moment. Anyway, since both Shestyorkin and Nekolenko chances to get to SKA KHL team are close to 0, I'm pretty sure they at least will consider the move to NA in foreseenable future.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Scherbak is by far my favorite Russian in this draft. He should easily be a top 15 pick, and I might have him higher. I'm shocked he is ranked so low in some draft guides.

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
I've seen Barbashev a few times in Moncton, and I was impressed with his physical play along with the rest of his game. It's a shame he can't seem to play a full season.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
I actually was going to frequently update this thread with some news and stuff, but it is so unusually quiet this year, I guess everyone is already preparing for the next year's draft (and you really can't blame them) :D. But still...

Checked the latest ranking and Barbashev has really fallen down the ranks recently (and now Scherbak is even considered to be picked ahead of him), anyone knows what is the reason for that? Maybe I missed some news about him being spotted drinking vodka with KHL GMs? :sarcasm:

Anyway, interview with Barbashev came out today (russian_link) and he mentioned that he had interviews with 26 teams at the combine, among those 4 teams who were not interested were Boston, Pittsburgh and Carolina.

Upd: Oh, didn't notice that HF made an interesting article about KHL prospects: link

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Ivan Barbashev (QMJHL: 48GP, 25+43; QMJHL PO: 6GP, 4+6; U20WC: 7GP, 1+1) - dynamic winger that can also play center, very competitive (looks captain material to me), smart, nice hands, great playmaking vision - basically a complete skill set.
Comparison: Kuznetsov's skills and vision mixed with Tarasenko's energy and competitiveness.
Prediction: second half of first round, no way that he can slip to second round.

Oh yeah, looks like I'm not that good at predictions (sorry, Ivan) :D Actually I still can't believe that he slipped with Scherbak and Goldobin picked ahead of him.

Anyway, looking forward to next rounds. :)

Last edited:

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Shocked that Barbashev has fallen out of the first, thought he was pretty much a lock and would go before Scherbak and Goldobin.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I figured that Montreal would take Scherbak or Barbashev. Hoping that Barbashev is a Sabre tomorrow.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
The draft interview with Scherbak (it looked very Datsyukian to me btw :D), he is a very nice kid, no surprise that coaches always praised his smartness:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Barbashev and Letunov to Blues. StLouis seemingly making a small colony of Russians ala Tampa. High pick for Letunov as well. I guess commitment to college looks like a good sign of commitment to NA hockey.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Barbashev and Letunov to Blues. StLouis seemingly making a small colony of Russians ala Tampa. High pick for Letunov as well. I guess commitment to college looks like a good sign of commitment to NA hockey.

Yeah, I have a feeling that college commitment really helped Letunov. I'm actually not a fan of him and didn't include him in initial list, but maybe someone who seen him more frequently can provide some more info about him and is he really worth of a second round pick.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Now Tryamkin and Valiyev taken as well. Shaping up to be best Russian draft (number wise) in recent times. Up to this point there's more Russians taken than Swedes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad