Russian prospects at 2014 NHL draft

Caser

RUSProspects @ gmail. com
May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
Decided to make a small overview about possible draft candidates from Russia to keep it all in one thread (since looks like there is some interest in the topic). Since my opinion was made based on rather limited views, feel free to disagree and make corrections and additions. For some of players I've tried to find comparison from previous year Russian prospects, also tried to make some predictions (it should be fun to take a look back at it after the draft). :)

Top tier
In my opinion those five guys are locks to be selected at the draft:

Ivan Barbashev (QMJHL: 48GP, 25+43; QMJHL PO: 6GP, 4+6; U20WC: 7GP, 1+1) - dynamic winger that can also play center, very competitive (looks captain material to me), smart, nice hands, great playmaking vision - basically a complete skill set.
Comparison: Kuznetsov's skills and vision mixed with Tarasenko's energy and competitiveness.
Prediction: second half of first round, no way that he can slip to second round.

Nikita Scherbak (WHL: 54GP, 26+43) - passionate winger that went from zero to hero - from being unknown even in Russia to a ppg player in WHL. Extremely smart, great hands and passing, controls his body well.
Comparison: since Scherbak is my favorite prospect at this year's draft, please don't take me too serious: he reminds me of young Malkin a little bit.
Prediction: second half of first round, might slip into second round if a lot of teams will not be willing to draft winger or/and dealing with Russians (I should insert smiling SteveY photo here :sarcasm:).

Nikolay Goldobin (OHL: 67GP, 38+56) - skilled offense generating winger who needs to improve on his physical game and work ethics.
Comparison: Kucherov-lite.
Prediction: second half of first round, slipping into second round is very possible.

Vladislav Kamenev (KHL: 16GP, 1+0; VHL: 3GP, 0+1; VHL PO: 1GP, 0+0; MHL: 15GP, 4+6; MHL PO: 5GP, 1+2; U18WC: 5GP, 2+5) - big center from Metallurg Magnitogorsk team, but don't be fooled, it is not the next Malkin (I believe Craig Button got fooled with this thing actually :sarcasm:). Physical guy, can pass and score as well as doing all the dirty stuff.
Comparison: reminds me of Zykov, but more defensive minded.
Prediction: second round - had a strong U18 WJC to be picked higher than 3-rd round, but still got KHL contract for 2 more years that will not allow him to get into first round.

Vladimir Tkachyov (KHL: 2GP, 0+0; MHL: 16GP, 7+12; QMJHL: 20GP, 10+20; QMJHL PO: 6GP, 7+2) - explosive skilled winger, great hands and skating, knows how to score. Showed that he is able to adapt quickly to different hockey style by successfully switching MHL to QMJHL in the middle of a season. Still he is very tiny (by the way, anyone knows his current weight? He is listed as 163 lbs at eliteprospects, so does it mean he finally gained some weight?) and non-physical.
Comparison: Before the start of this season I wrote that he is an improved version of Tolchinsky (that was before Tolchinsky's breakthrough training camp appearance).
Prediction: Despise his size, should be selected in a third round. Interesting is if team that will draft Barbashev will be also willing to get Tkachyov to get a chance to capitalize on their long time chemistry (sound like an Yzerplan, eh?).

Second tier
Those guys have all the talent, but for different reasons (Russian factor, didn't have very impressive season etc.) they can get passed.

Igor Shestyorkin (KHL: 9GP, 2.80, .903; MHL: 23GP, 1.42, .947; MHL PO: 19GP, 1.75, .937 - MHL Champion) - confident and charismatic goalie with some quick reflexes. In his short KHL stint showed that he is ready to play pro hockey and looked fine in a crashing and burning bankrupt Spartak team. Because of Spartak's bankruptcy he might be willing to go to NA immediately, which might raise his draft stock.
Comparison: Varly-lite.
Prediction: Might go in 4-th round, since the talent is definitely there. Rangers have scouted him and they got two picks in 4-th, so...

Arkhip Nekolenko (MHL: 19GP, 2+5; MHL PO: 21GP, 3+11 - MHL Champion) - skilled winger with a good body and nice shot. Was considered as a potential first rounder at the start of the season, but missed more than half year because of injury. His play at MHL play-offs showed that he is fine again. Got the same contract situation as Shestyorkin, so it is also possible that he might decide to go to NA already this summer.
Prediction: 5-th round (this year's draft is not that strong to let pass talent like that).

Maxim Lazarev (QMJHL: 45GP, 13+18; QMJHL PO: 4GP, 1+0) - scoring winger with some skills, but not a physical one and also work ethics need to be improved. Was one of a few bright spots on Russia NT at last Hlinka tournament, but this season was spoiled because of injuries.
Prediction: end of 5-th round if he is very lucky, 6-th round more likely.

Nikita Lyamkin (QMJHL: 65GP, 3+9; QMJHL PO: 4GP, 0+0; U18WC: 5GP, 0+5) - big physical defender that can make a first pass, skating needs to be improved though.
Prediction: 6-th round.

Ivan Nikolishin (WHL: 72GP, 18+41; WHL PO: 5GP, 0+3; U18WC: 5GP, 2+3) - creative, skilled and hard working winger (have also played center before), very competitive, but also lacks size. He is a son of a former NHL-er Andrey Nikolishin and that actually might raise his draft stock, since looks like being a son of a pro hockey player is considered somewhat of a quality mark by scouts these days.
Prediction: 6-th or 7-th round (Wahington got 3 picks in 6-th and 7-th and NikolishinSr. had some good time playing there).

Maybes
Guys that can become a late round steals if selected (had a lot of candidates for this part, but came down with just two guys, so I think a lot of additions can be made here actually).

Denis Orlovich-Grudkov (MHL: 51GP, 20+32; MHL PO: 10GP, 2+6) - hard working winger with good skating, puck handling and decision making, was ppg in MHL this season as a 18 year old (which doesn't happen very often actually). Strength is an issue though, but if he will gain some, he can be very good at the pro level also.

Vladislav Gavrikov (MHL: 45GP, 3+9; MHL PO: 7GP, 0+2) - big calm defender, good at selecting position, can hit. Was one of the best defender at SubwaySuperSeries on U20 Russia NT.

Overagers
Most interesting part: at recent drafts at least one overager from Russia was selected (usually in late rounds), so let's try to guess who could it be this time.

Ilya Sorokin (18 years old; KHL: 27GP, 2.90, .911; MHL: 4GP, 2.69, .917; MHL PO: 2GP, 4.04, .800) - hard working goalie that was constantly playing in KHL this season, getting some decent numbers on a not very strong team. Extended his contract recently and that can make him not very popular at the draft.

Andrey Mironov (19 years old; KHL: 46GP, 3+7; KHL PO: 7GP, 0+1; MHL: 3GP, 0+1; U20WC: 7GP, 1+3) - responsible defender that likes to play physical. Played in his second KHL season, was leading Russia team's defense at U20, made debut for Russia NT this season at the age of 19.

Vyacheslav Osnovin (20 years old, KHL: 31GP, 2+0; VHL: 7GP, 0+0; MHL: 18GP, 5+10; MHL PO: 15GP, 6+5; U20WC: 7GP, 2+2) - smart hard working center that plays a solid two-way game.

Ivan Nalimov (19 years old; VHL: 1GP, 1.00, .966; MHL: 12GP, 2.84, .894; U20WC: 2GP, 2.65, .897) - goalie that was .945 at Subway Super Series, already expressed his desire to go to NA, so some team might want to secure his rights by spending a low round pick.

Nikita Tryamkin (19 years old; KHL: 45GP, 1+6; KHL PO: 4GP, 0+0; MHL: 2GP, 2+1; MHL PO: 1GP, 0+0) - huge physical defender (6'7"/229lbs) that looked good at U20. Needs to work on positioning.

Alexei Bereglazov (20 years old; KHL: 6GP, 0+0; VHL: 10GP, 1+0; MHL: 8GP, 0+3; MHL PO: 4GP, 1+2; U20WC: 7GP, 0+2) - one more big guy from U20 and SSS, was one of the key persons there - tough defender that has also some offensive upside. Not fully established in KHL yet, but that might even be seen as a plus by some NHL teams.

So, to make a bold prediction on total Russian players selected this year: 5 from top tier group, 3 from second tier group and 1 overager.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Great post. I'm really high on the big 3 Russians in the CHL this year. I've only seen a bit of Kamenev between the KHL and U18's (only caught a couple of Russia's games), but he looks very promising. Years down the line this draft will look quite strong for the Russians, even if it currently lacks the wow factor of a Nichushkin. Barbashev is in my mind a lock to be a valuable all-around player in the NHL. Scherbak and Goldobin seem to be considerably underrated by many. The three CHLers are among my top targets that I hope the Sabres might consider if they manage to trade back up into the 1st round.

Curley

Apr 21, 2012
Other guys I'd love to know more about are:

Alexander Sharov
Nikita Cherepanov

Does anyone have any thoughts on their ability/chances to be drafted?

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
From what I have seen from Nekolenko, he's first round calibre - dynamic player. Kraskovsky from Loko very good too. In fact, half of Lokos MHL team is on CS final list lol.

Don't like Osnovin, seems like not a high end guy for me. 3rd liner not going to do anything special kind of guy. Other off the charts guys - Shatsky, Dervuk, Mikulovich, Boikov, Sherepazyanov-very tough defenseman.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
From what I have seen from Nekolenko, he's first round calibre - dynamic player. Kraskovsky from Loko very good too. In fact, half of Lokos MHL team is on CS final list lol.

Don't like Osnovin, seems like not a high end guy for me. 3rd liner not going to do anything special kind of guy. Other off the charts guys - Shatsky, Dervuk, Mikulovich, Boikov, Sherepazyanov-very tough defenseman.

Not stylistically, but is Nekolenko similar to Buchnevich and Prokhorkin in that they were highly regarded and skilled players who had a stunted draft year due to injuries and lack of exposure? They are two examples of players who were amongst the best in their age at 16/17 but due to to difficult draft years and being Russian, fell from view in regards to the NHL draft, but both have since showed very positive progression since.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Not stylistically, but is Nekolenko similar to Buchnevich and Prokhorkin in that they were highly regarded and skilled players who had a stunted draft year due to injuries and lack of exposure?
Prokhorkin had some injuries in his draft year, but still got 26pts in 15 MHL games, plus playoffs, and on top of that played (and looked good) 15 KHL games plus KHL playoffs .. so the only lack of exposure was on the international stage, being a late birthdate he was not eligible for the U18.
Him dropping to the 121st pick was simply retarted and in fact I called that out the day of the draft (will probably look back and see if i can find the post. Edit: here is one, on draft day http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=51377817&postcount=9)

Buchnevich had some injuries but still played 45 games on the season + the U18 where he looked great.

So, their low selection was more the result of a mix between the Russian factor and NHL teams' poor scouting of Russia.
Just off the top of my head, another example was Rafikov dropping to the 7th last year.

Nekolenko's draft season was not close to the ones Prokhorkin and Buch had, so I wouldn't expect him to go before the 5th/6th round, if ever.

Last edited:

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Overagers

Ilya Sorokin (18 years old; KHL: 27GP, 2.90, .911; MHL: 4GP, 2.69, .917; MHL PO: 2GP, 4.04, .800) - hard working goalie that was constantly playing in KHL this season, getting some decent numbers on a not very strong team. Extended his contract recently and that can make him not very popular at the draft.

Sorokin created quite a plenty of buzz in scouting community, don´t doubt he will be selected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Other guys I'd love to know more about are:

Alexander Sharov
Nikita Cherepanov

Does anyone have any thoughts on their ability/chances to be drafted?

Liked Sharov as underager but I haven´t seen progress since than. Skating is weakness and offensive upside limited. Maybe late pick but I personally think that he won´t be pucked up at all.
Don´t like Cherepanov, lacks hockey sense.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
question about ivan b. how much of his success is do to the fact that he is just stronger than those he is playing against ......but when he gets to the nhl, he will not have that advantage.
sherbak, remind me more of a ron frances sp?

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Good post

I really hope a team (Edmonton) takes a chance in Nikolishin. I have my doubts about his NHL potential but the kid works so hard and has a bounty of skill. I am rooting for him, for sure.

Caser

May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
Thanks guys for a nice reception of my overview and keeping the discussion alive. :)

I know he's Kazakh, but do you have an opinion on Semyon Koshelev?

Sorry, didn't follow him much :(

Don't like Osnovin, seems like not a high end guy for me. 3rd liner not going to do anything special kind of guy.

I first thought about him the same way, but then looked more closely and changed opinion: he might not have much of offensive upside, but he is that type of accurate, smart, responsible and hard-working player that you definitely want to see centering your bottom-6 lines.

Not stylistically, but is Nekolenko similar to Buchnevich and Prokhorkin in that they were highly regarded and skilled players who had a stunted draft year due to injuries and lack of exposure? They are two examples of players who were amongst the best in their age at 16/17 but due to to difficult draft years and being Russian, fell from view in regards to the NHL draft, but both have since showed very positive progression since.

In that way, maybe, but I can't remember Buch and Porkins missing that much time due to injuries as Nekolenko did this season.

Sorokin created quite a plenty of buzz in scouting community, don´t doubt he will be selected.

3 years left on KHL contract can scare off anyone, seen a lot of examples from previous years, when talented guys (even not overagers) were not selected because of KHL contract.

This guy to the Red Wings, please!

If you are just looking for some size, then it is easier to sign Hall Gill :D

what about Pavel Kraskovsky? i wouldnt be surprised if he got drafted

Kraskovsky was latest cut from my list, because I thought that his qualities are mostly on defensive side and there should be more than that for NHL team to draft from Russia.

I really hope a team (Edmonton) takes a chance in Nikolishin. I have my doubts about his NHL potential but the kid works so hard and has a bounty of skill. I am rooting for him, for sure.

By the way, did I understand correctly that, since Oilers drafted Zharkov from CHL and can't sign him to ELC at the moment because of his KHL contract, it means that Oilers will lose rights on him and he can re-enter the draft this year?

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I feel Lazarev will get passed on this year due to injuries, but next year playing with Svechnikov in NA he will likely be a high pick.

You can tell he has the skill but he just couldn't get going for a consistent amount of time last year due to constant injuries.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Nikita Lyamkin (QMJHL: 65GP, 3+9; QMJHL PO: 4GP, 0+0; U18WC: 5GP, 0+5) - big physical defender that can make a first pass, skating needs to be improved though.
Prediction: 6-th round.

Was this your view of him from when he played in Russia ? From what i saw of him this year with Chicoutimi that was the opposite of what you describe. Very soft along the board and in front of his net but skates very well. Took him 3/4 of the season to adjust to the qmjhl. Too bad because he was excellent at the U17 the year before and was projected as a first rounder.

We have him projected like you in the 6th round at HockeyProspect.com. I think the way he finished the season and his U-18 probably will get him drafted. Before that i had some doubts.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
question about ivan b. how much of his success is do to the fact that he is just stronger than those he is playing against ......but when he gets to the nhl, he will not have that advantage.

He's 6'0" and 190lbs, or so. Not sure where you're getting the idea that he's strong than those he's playing against.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
3 years left on KHL contract can scare off anyone, seen a lot of examples from previous years, when talented guys (even not overagers) were not selected because of KHL contract.

examples?

Sorokin was very good for bad Novokuznetsk team in KHL as 19 year old which is accomplishment. He is quick with strong reflexes and battles hard all the time. Don´t expect that he will be selected early but someone takes him in later rounds IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caser

May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
What about Fazleev?

Oh, i knew that leaving him out will be rather unpopular :) Actually, I kind of doubt his upside, but that's just my personal opinion, I'm pretty fine that people will disagree with it. Also he didn't impress at U18.

Was this your view of him from when he played in Russia ? From what i saw of him this year with Chicoutimi that was the opposite of what you describe. Very soft along the board and in front of his net but skates very well. Took him 3/4 of the season to adjust to the qmjhl. Too bad because he was excellent at the U17 the year before and was projected as a first rounder.

We have him projected like you in the 6th round at HockeyProspect.com. I think the way he finished the season and his U-18 probably will get him drafted. Before that i had some doubts.

Lyamkin is one of the guys I had only rather limited views, so basically my impression is based mostly on this year's U18, although I realize that tournament's specifics (U18 level, big rinks) might added some incorrect things to it, so thanks for the input and corrections. :)

examples?

Sorokin was very good for bad Novokuznetsk team in KHL as 19 year old which is accomplishment. He is quick with strong reflexes and battles hard all the time. Don´t expect that he will be selected early but someone takes him in later rounds IMO.

Some examples just from top of my head: Zaitsev and Marchenko (ok, Marchenko had also injury troubles) in 2010, Arzamastsev in 2011, Slepyshev in 2012, Mironov in 2013

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
By the way, did I understand correctly that, since Oilers drafted Zharkov from CHL and can't sign him to ELC at the moment because of his KHL contract, it means that Oilers will lose rights on him and he can re-enter the draft this year?

I could be wrong but as far as I know Zharkov still has a year left on his KHL contract, so he can't go back to the draft. If he stays in Russia the Oil will retain his rights.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad