Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
They say it comes in threes...Tim Wakefield, now Russ Francis. Who's next?

Russ Francis was at one point the best TE in the league. He had size, strength and could run. One of the best to play his position.

May he rest in peace.

I hope this was the third and no more for awhile.

Chris Snow was first, Wake and now Francis.

Ddawg

Mar 7, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
RIP Russ.. great at making yards after a catch. RIP Richard as well, saw the TBirds several times when he was the lead. Please no more.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Geez oh Pete! Another great departed too early.

Mid to late 70s were the years in which my fanaticism for the Pats was at its highest. Grogan, Sam Bam Cunningham, Harold Jackson, Stanley Morgan, and of course Russ Francis.

There were some incredible tight ends during the 70s and 80s, and Russ was among the best. His era was the beginning of when tight ends went from mainly blockers to being legit offensive threats as well. Guys like Newsome, Winslow, Casper, and Francis helped lay the groundwork for TEs such as Coates, Sharpe, and Bavaro. It's interesting how much the position of TE has transformed over the decades.

Really sad that guys like Russ, Wake, and Snow have passed way before they should have. RIP, Russ.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm not a football fan & don't know much about Russ but my parents were acquaintances with him & named me after him. RIP Russ

Reactions: Gee Wally

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm not a football fan & don't know much about Russ but my parents were acquaintances with him & named me after him. RIP Russ
oh wow, I just texted my mom to tell her he passed and she said he visited her in the hospital when she had me. I never knew that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad