Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Typically NHL teams insure their biggest contracts. In that case insurance generally covers 80% of the contract which is why I said that the Habs were probably on the hook for about $3M in real money. This makes you trade a tough one.

Now there is a player on the Habs that I could see involved in a deal for Campbell. That is Anderson. Anderson has $15.5M left on his deal compared with $13.5M for Campbell. His buyout costs the Habs $1.3M more than the buyout for Campbell would. After a brutal start he cam on a bit down the stretch but the Habs might be willing to move on from him. Now would it be wise for the Oilers to try and convert Campbell into Anderson rather than opening up space? That is not clear, nor is how such a deal might go down.

Anderson holds a LOT more value than Campbell does though. I would almost be willing to just see what we have in Campbell as the backup next year, and see if he can't improve his trade value in the first few months of the season. Maybe if he plays well you only have to give up a 2nd rounder + prospect, rather than your first, in order to get rid of him?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Anderson holds a LOT more value than Campbell does though. I would almost be willing to just see what we have in Campbell as the backup next year, and see if he can't improve his trade value in the first few months of the season. Maybe if he plays well you only have to give up a 2nd rounder + prospect, rather than your first, in order to get rid of him?
Alot more is a bit of bold statement. I would say he has "value" where Campbell has none.

Either way Campbell for Anderson is idiotic for the Oilers. The buyout is SO much better than that.

Reactions: McDoused

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Part of the problem with Ceci is that for most of his time on the Oilers he has been asked to do too much. In good part that is because he is paired with Nurse who has been viewed by the team as a #1 or #1B LHD most of the time. And the lack of depth on the RHS has meant that Ceci has been asked to play more the role of a #2 than a #4.

Nurse and Ceci just don't work especially if asked to play a key role vs top teams. But he was fine in the #4 role in Pittsburgh and in Toronto.

As far as teams not wanting to do the Oilers a favour this is more a perception of fans than reality around the league. Team's will make moves that benefit them. It's actually fairly rare for GM's to want to put the screws to another team.
Yeah Ceci might not be a full time top 4 guy on a Cup team but at his cap hit and with 1 year left he definitely has some value to some teams around the league. Worse defenders than him constantly get signed to long term deal at bigger cap hits.

Some GM out there will pick him up for a 4th/5th rounder, take him for a spin for the year and see how he fits and then decide if they want to extend him or deal him at the deadline 50% retained for a 3rd.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I don't not believe in Broberg. Kulak is steady, reliable, insurance for a number of players on this team beyond Broberg. When Nurse fails, Kulak steps in, when Ceci fails, Kulak steps in, if one of Nurse/Ekholm miss time, Kulak can step in. We don't have anyone else that can reliably be tapped to help in all these areas when these issues arise.

I wouldn't necessarily be seeking a Top 4 in the off season anyways. We're in a position to wait until the deadline to know what the problems are that need fixing, I don't like the idea of spending assets to fix a problem that we might not even have only to not have any assets left to actually address the real problem.

I have nothing against Kulak but its not about the player, its about the contract. The oilers can't afford Kulak at 2.75M and acquire a top 4 RHD making over 4M. We need both Kulak and Ceci's money.

Why would you pass on a guy in free agency that doesn't cost assets just to wait until the deadline and give up significant assets? Not going after a top 4 dman makes sense if you believe Broberg can be a top 4 guy but you keep saying you don't, so why wait 60 games and give up assets?

Reactions: russ99

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I have nothing against Kulak but its not about the player, its about the contract. The oilers can't afford Kulak at 2.75M and acquire a top 4 RHD making over 4M. We need both Kulak and Ceci's money.

Why would you pass on a guy in free agency that doesn't cost assets just to wait until the deadline and give up significant assets? Not going after a top 4 dman makes sense if you believe Broberg can be a top 4 guy but you keep saying you don't, so why wait 60 games and give up assets?

I just don’t perceive a Top 4 D man that’s on the market achievable from a contract perspective. You’re always paying those guys more money and more term than they’re worth (see Ceci).

We aren’t in a position to risk a bad deal on whatever right shot D hits the market (without looking, I’m assuming anyone available in our price range are middle of the road at best).

However, we are in a position to keep our powder dry until the deadline and get someone there that helps us without potentially condemning us 2+ years down the road. Other than odds and ends I don’t think we should be aggressive in Free Agency. Easier to dump bad deals with no term left at the deadline too.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
For me the idea of moving Kulak is a non-starter.

He's just too good in the playoffs, and too reliable to lean on when other players (Nurse) implode and need to take a step back to get their shit together every 3/4 games. Losing Vinny would be unfortunate, but not the end of the world.

I think we could start the season like this next year with improvements sought at the deadline. Upgrading on Ceci shouldn't be an obstacle with only one year left on his deal and he might honestly not end up being someone we desperately need to upgrade on if he's playing bottom pairing minutes not with Nurse.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Ceci
Kulak is one of my faves for some reason. Really shines when it matters

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I heard the same thoughts about dealing him last year for space. Had we gone ahead and done that I’m not sure we get past the Stars.

It's all about opportunity cost. I really do like Kulak and happy he is on the team but he's also a luxury that we can't afford.

I feel bad for crapping on the guy (I really do like him and realize this isnt an easy decision) but he played 15 minutes a night in the regular season and is playing 16 minutes a night in the playoffs.

Hes a solid hockey player so it would suck to see him go. However, Broberg can fill in those minutes while saving 1.75M. Take Ceci's 3.25 and add the 1.75M to bring in a 5M defenceman like Matt Roy, Brett Pesce, Dylan Demelo or Chris Tanev. Those players can consistently play 20 minutes a night and bring more to the team on a consistent basis.

Basically Broberg (1) + Roy (5) > Kulak (2.75) + 3.25M replacement.

Given that Chatfield just signed for 3M, thats about the level you can expect in free agency. Either way I don't think we will agree so I'll just drop it.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Will be interesting to see what the new GM (whoever it may be) does this offseason. Based on playoff performances, this would be my template for the offseason:

Hyman/McDavid/________
RNH/Draisaitl/Holloway
______/_______/________
Janmark/Henrique/Brown

Ekholm/Bouchard
______/Broberg
Kulak/Desharnais

________
Skinner

The Oilers will need to make some big decision on certain players. I can see Nurse playing one more year here and then being shipped out once Draisaitl’s new contract kicks in (and Bouchard’s). Kane is expendable in my opinion. Dude is always playing injured and isn’t moving the needle for us. I feel like those dollars could be better used elsewhere.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Honestly I see Ceci as more of a deadline deal out.

If #6 D are signing for 3M we may as well keep him then work to try and get a retained higher end guy back at the deadline. Ceci won’t be nearly as hard to move as he will be on an expiring deal.

Hard to make the cap work unless VD is signing for $1.5-$2 or we have another prospect the makes the jump to a #6 guy on our team for league min

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
For a little over 3M, we are better off going after Alex Carrier.

Holloway-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Drai-Kane
McLeod-Henrique-Lavoie
Janmark-Carrick-Brown

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Carrier
Broberg-Kemp

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

how long til the BOG gang get their claws in him?
l-intro-1620244241.jpg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Months ago I would have said no chance but with Holloway and Broberg becoming studs out of no where… who knows. Sometimes things just click.
Holloway and Broberg have size and speed in their corners, Bourgault has neither of those on his side. Kid better have a bug summer (should've already started) working to improve himself if he wants a shot next season.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Will be interesting to see what the new GM (whoever it may be) does this offseason. Based on playoff performances, this would be my template for the offseason:

Hyman/McDavid/________
RNH/Draisaitl/Holloway
______/_______/________
Janmark/Henrique/Brown

Ekholm/Bouchard
______/Broberg
Kulak/Desharnais

________
Skinner

The Oilers will need to make some big decision on certain players. I can see Nurse playing one more year here and then being shipped out once Draisaitl’s new contract kicks in (and Bouchard’s). Kane is expendable in my opinion. Dude is always playing injured and isn’t moving the needle for us. I feel like those dollars could be better used elsewhere.

I just don't see a scenario where Nurse is gone. Not when we're presumably buying out Campbell and trying to rehome Kane too.

*something like*

RNH-McDavid-(X)
Holloway-Draisaitl-Hyman
(X)-McLeod-Or X center that pushes McLeod to the wing-Lavoie
Janmark-(X)-Brown
Carrick

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Broberg
Kulak-X
Desharnais

Skinner
X (more 1B than backup)

I think is a reasonable framework that should be affordable.

There are a ton of options out there for wingers, we should be able to add two with ease.

Goalie is tougher. We need to see what we have in Rodrigue at some point, Pickard was pretty decent, but I think we need a legit 1B option.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Months ago I would have said no chance but with Holloway and Broberg becoming studs out of no where… who knows. Sometimes things just click.
The difference is that both Broberg and Holloway displayed a high level in the AHL plus NHL size and speed so you can see the makings of a pro with both whereas Bourgault, at least based on numbers, has struggled. Still, I wouldn't give up on him as there's a good skill base to work with but with this being his 3rd pro season he needs to take a leap sooner than later.

What could an Evander Kane trade look like?

I think that's a very realistic path to clearing up some much-nedded cap in the offseason.
Kane is a negative asset with that contract. I think it'll be a lot easier to move Ceci for example than Kane. That extra year would likely be a no go for other GMs.
I don't think they need to move Kane yet. A Campbell buyout and Ceci trade should give them plenty of space to fill out the roster and the emergence of Holloway and Broberg with Lavoie waiting in the wings gives them a lot more options. Might need to deal Kane next offseason though with the impending cap crunch.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Frank said we are looking to sign Jammark and get his... Perry. Also mentioned Arvidsson as a potential target for the Oilers.

Thinks we look at what a Darnell Nurse trade will look like.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The Oilers don't need a top 4 upgrade on Ceci to start next season to secure playoff positioning. They can afford to wait until the deadline to add a pro-rated contract with accrued cap space.
The Oilers have $10m cap space now, add in a Campbell buyout and Ceci trade and they'd have over $17m to re-sign Holloway, Broberg, ideally Brown, Janmark and Henrique and whoever else with the leftover $7-9m or so after those signings. No need to trade Kulak in addition to Ceci. The Oilers can actually sign a top 6 forward or top 4 Dman in addition to re-signing their own outside of Foegele, they have more space than people think if they buyout Campbell and move out Ceci.

Reactions: Faelko and K1984

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Kane is a negative asset with that contract. I think it'll be a lot easier to move Ceci for example than Kane. That extra year would likely be a no go for other GMs.
I don't think they need to move Kane yet. A Campbell buyout and Ceci trade should give them plenty of space to fill out the roster and the emergence of Holloway and Broberg with Lavoie waiting in the wings gives them a lot more options. Might need to deal Kane next offseason though with the impending cap crunch.
Kane has value, Teams like the Rangers would trade for him right away.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Frank said we are looking to sign Jammark and get his... Perry. Also mentioned Arvidsson as a potential target for the Oilers.

Thinks we look at what a Darnell Nurse trade will look like.

There will be no Nurse trade only a buyout near the end of his contract.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Add in Duclair/Arvidsson and DeMelo/Carrier in the offseason. One of Buchnevich/Vatrano at 75% off at the deadline. The Oilers will be back and possibly even better for next year playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad