Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I don't see anyone taking him without sweetners as well, and we want to keep assets like that for deadline deals. Kane makes 5 million and for two years he is entering his mid-30s. Plus he has a NMC that means he isn't waiving to go to a low team that would overpay him for character. He's here, and he is a good player so that's that.

Next season doesn't have that many cap issues. It's the year after that that has the issue. That's when we can talk about options with Kane.
So you’re saying the plan should be “don’t plan until the last possible moment?”. Yep, sounds reasonable. Other teams are always willing to help out when they know your backs against the wall and have to sign a franchise player before he becomes a UFA. That always works out

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Context is important. This wasn’t the quote I was talking about. I was referring to after game 5. Anyways, using your contextual quote- how is that any different than what I said? He doesn’t put a premium on physicality- he wants good skating, positionally sound players.

Analytics is just another tool- never said it should be used exclusively. You need to analytics to validate what your eyes saw (numbers don’t have biases) and need to view to make your analysis matches up (need to prove your analytical model). They go hand in hand.
It's a direct quote by their head coach and d-coach articulating how they want their d and team to play. They still want physical play but not at the expense of smart, positional play. Game 5 the Canucks won while both outshooting the Oilers (35 to 23) and outhitting them (something like 41 to 23) with belies the common belief that hitting is usually distorted as a stat for teams without the puck. The Oilers lost the game and were both outshot and outhit with their skill players being targeted. That's why the question was posed and Knoblauch clarified their philosophy. They obviously don't want their players running around but hard physical play is still valued.

We agree that analytics is a support tool to help inform personnel decisions. The organization hasn't fared well with its pro scouting department to find latent talent to support this team's core. This is where the juice is for good organizations. They've made obvious big money free agent spending on Hyman which worked as a critical player type they needed to complement a perimeter skill team; made a big asset deal for Ekholm to address their subpar defense corp; and whiffed massively in their decision making on Jack Campbell as their #1 goaltender through the winning window. A huge gap is to find latent talent, cheap labour hidden or buried in other organizations.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So you’re saying the plan should be “don’t plan until the last possible moment?”. Yep, sounds reasonable. Other teams are always willing to help out when they know your backs against the wall and have to sign a franchise player before he becomes a UFA. That always works out
So why stop at Kane? Let's start shopping Hyman, Nuge Ekholm, Nurse and others with NMC..
Plan ahead for Bouch/Drai/McD extensions.

Or maybe the plan should be to find a taker for Campbell, Ceci, Kulak etc.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Did i miss the Oilers season being over? Checks notes nope seems they are in the final 4. So still a possible 14 games for Foegle to show his worth
Great point.. we might be able to afford Foegele if he continues to show that he is nothing more than a 4th liner/pressbox player. Foegele bro you got 14 games to show/affirm that you are worth 1M per.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I still think that they look to move on at year's end. Him playing well in the playoffs only increases the likelihood we have takers for the contract.

Whoever the new GM is will need to get creative with the payroll over the next two or three seasons. July 1st and we're a year from the Draisaitl and Bouchard extensions.
No thank you, Kane is an integral part of this team. He had stretches of disappearance during the regular season (and who cares really, the Oilers don't need him to be good every night) but he's been key to their success in the postseason and he brings that swagger that is otherwise lacking on the roster. It's always possible that his play falls of a cliff but he still looks pretty good to me and he won't be an easy guy to replace. I get where you're coming from, that would be a big chunk of useful cap space freed up and maybe they can sell high on him but replacing him would be tougher than you think, guys like Kane don't grow on trees.

Bottom line? The top 6 is set next season assuming that Holloway continues on his trajectory, they don't need to create a hole that doesn't need to be created.

You want cap space? Ceci, even though he was solid against Vancouver, and especially Kulak because of the potential in house solution are candidates.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That’s great and all, you have Bouchard and Draisaitl up the year after. If he has a great playoffs- you try to move him this offseason so you don’t have to add an asset for the season after. The new GM has to start planning with 97,2,29 contracts in mind
Kane's contract will run 1 year into the window of Draisaitl and Bouchard's new contract and will be off the books when McDavid's new contract kicks in. The contract might prevent the Oilers from adding a few depth guys but it won't have any effect on fitting in the Draisaitl and Bouchard contracts.

Also, you'd have to use that Kane cap space to fit in a top 6 forward who may or may not be a fit with the team and most certainly won't bring his intangibles.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Kane's contract will run 1 year into the window of Draisaitl and Bouchard's new contract and will be off the books when McDavid's new contract kicks in. The contract might prevent the Oilers from adding a few depth guys but it won't have any effect on fitting in the Draisaitl and Bouchard contracts.

Also, you'd have to use that Kane cap space to fit in a top 6 forward who may or may not be a fit with the team and most certainly won't bring his intangibles.
Kane might even re-sign here for a lot less. He looks like he's settled here quite nicely. Same with Ekholm.

Kane at 2M. Ekholm at 4M.

I think we will fit McDavid and still have room to add some depth

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Someone will give him 3mil in Free Agency. It won't be us.
If he gets sat for a game or two for Perry/Henrique or Brown then no one will give him 3M per.

At this point Ryan and Carrick are ahead of him in pecking order.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Kane's contract is the placeholder for McDavid's raise + replacement winger.

Ceci's contract is placeholder for Bouchards raise + replacement D

We have to get rid of Campbell's contract for Draisaitl raise + replacement goalie.

Kulak will likely be gone to give Desharnais and Holloway some raise., Broberg being the replacement.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Foegele could sign for less than league minimum and I still wouldn't want him back.

He was downright terrible this year outside of like 15 games on Drai's wing and has been even worse in the playoffs.

Get rid of the soft playoff ghosts while you can.

Well that is a bit of a stretch, but I agree with the post more or less. Foegele got most of his points against non-playoff teams, and is a bottom-6 player who hasn't looked very good in the playoffs. He is going to get paid in the off-season due to his counting stats. All these reasons are why we won't be the team signing him. No chance whatsoever. We have a guy in Holloway who will likely score as much as Foegele next year, will do it for less than half than half, and he has other elements to his game that Foegele doesn't have.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Kane might even re-sign here for a lot less. He looks like he's settled here quite nicely. Same with Ekholm.

Kane at 2M. Ekholm at 4M.

I think we will fit McDavid and still have room to add some depth
Id really like to have Ekholm back for a few more years. He is not slowing down any and lets face it, he has turned our D corps around. I want him to retire as an Oiler. Lots of contracts up next year. I am praying McDavid and Drai both resign. Our top 6 would be intact. Might have to do some dumpster diving for some more bottom 6. Doesnt seem to be too much in the minors. I can see Lavoie and Broberg graduatng into the big team. After that, Im not too sure. I expected bigger things from Bourgault and Petrov. Hard to believe, Bourgault was drafted one spot before Wyatt Johnson. Dallas seems to hit home runs in their drafting.
Are we not drafting good or developing our players correctly?

Reactions: Duke74

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
"A player is required to have appeared in at least 41 regular-season games with a team, or one Stanley Cup Final game, to be eligible to have his name engraved on the trophy."

I hope Gagner can be on the Cup. I'd be so happy to see him on there.
Don't they sometimes petition to have players added? I feel like that might be what's needed for Gagner.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Well that is a bit of a stretch, but I agree with the post more or less. Foegele got most of his points against non-playoff teams, and is a bottom-6 player who hasn't looked very good in the playoffs. He is going to get paid in the off-season due to his counting stats. All these reasons are why we won't be the team signing him. No chance whatsoever. We have a guy in Holloway who will likely score as much as Foegele next year, will do it for less than half than half, and he has other elements to his game that Foegele doesn't have.
The Oilers scored 10 goals all season while Foegele was on the ice in bottom 6.

For context, the Oilers scored 13 with Connor Brown on the ice in the bottom six. Hell, they scored 5 with Carrick on the ice in 16 games.

Foegele is a boat anchor in the bottom six and you're in trouble if he's playing in your top six. Run away while you can.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Holloway (1.5M bridge) - Draisaitl - Kane
xxx - McLeod - xxx
xxx - Ryan - xxx

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Ceci
Broberg (1.2M bridge)

Stu
Pickard (1M)

If Campbell is bought out, then our cap hit is approximately 74 Million which includes the Brown bonus. If we assume my signings are a good ballpark that gives us $10.0M to fill the rest. Quite doable.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
xxx - McLeod - xxx
xxx - Ryan - xxx

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Ceci
Broberg (1.2M bridge)

Stu
Pickard (1M)

If Campbell is bought out, then our cap hit is approximately 74 Million which includes the Brown bonus. If we assume my signings are a good ballpark that gives us $10.0M to fill the rest. Quite doable.
I can’t imagine anyone penciling in Ryan for next year, he will be 38 and he’s cooked.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Desharnais, Carrick, Janmark, and Henrique would be players I look to resign. Janmark and Henrique, more so Henrique would need to take a pay cut.

Janmark offense tried this season, but there are a lot of small details in his game that I appreciate.

Carrick has been really good on our fourth line. Strong in the draws and bring physical edge.

Desharnais is a tricky one, I would not blame him if he goes for the bag.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
xxx - McLeod - xxx
xxx - Ryan - xxx

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Ceci
Broberg (1.2M bridge)

Stu
Pickard (1M)

Nurse Ceci joined at the hips is officially over with both players showing improvement away from each other.

Reactions: McDrai

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - XXX
Holloway - McLeod - XXX
Janmark - XXX - XXX
Ryan

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - XXX
Broberg - Desharnais

Skinner
XXX

Next season's blueprint, but step 1 is to figure out what the plan is with 29 because if he's not willing to sign before games begin in October he needs to be moved IMO which changes the entire direction of the organization.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
1st Line, 2nd Line, and First Top Pairing: Don't change a thing.

3rd Line: Needs a different look. I wouldn't extend Foegle.

McLeod: Next season McLeod is in a contract year. At $2.1 million I still think he's solid value (30 points last season, PKs well, plays the shutdown role really well). I think there's a decent chance he pumps his value. He's also looked solid when given chances to play in the top 6... so if Holloway falters during his first 82 game season in the NHL McLeod is a nice option to have.

4th Line: We can piece something together with what we have internally. I'd bring back Janmark, Carrick, and Brown. Why Brown? You could bring him in at league minimum. I'm willing to take a gamble that he'd be a lot of value at league minimum. At worst he's a decent extra forward that's excellent on the PK at league minimum.

2nd pairing: I never felt comfortable with Nurse and Ceci. Nurse at 9mil on the 2nd pairing is poor asset management. He needs to go before Draisaitl and Bouchard's next contracts kick in. I'm also not a big fan of Ceci but I'm not sure what options are out there for 2nd pairing RHD.

3rd pairing: I don't have any complaints.

Broberg: How we proceed with Broberg is absolutely pivotal imo. I don't think you can have McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse, and Bouchard's contracts co-existing in 2025/26. This means one of them needs to go. In an ideal world, that's Nurse. We'd be down a 2nd pairing LHD. We have two more years of Ekholm. He'll be 36 at the end of his contract.

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
No thank you, Kane is an integral part of this team. He had stretches of disappearance during the regular season (and who cares really, the Oilers don't need him to be good every night) but he's been key to their success in the postseason and he brings that swagger that is otherwise lacking on the roster. It's always possible that his play falls of a cliff but he still looks pretty good to me and he won't be an easy guy to replace. I get where you're coming from, that would be a big chunk of useful cap space freed up and maybe they can sell high on him but replacing him would be tougher than you think, guys like Kane don't grow on trees.

Bottom line? The top 6 is set next season assuming that Holloway continues on his trajectory, they don't need to create a hole that doesn't need to be created.

You want cap space? Ceci, even though he was solid against Vancouver, and especially Kulak because of the potential in house solution are candidates.
100% agree, kane got tossed over the boards by zadorov, what did he do after? he ran zadorov every single chance he got and never shyed away from teh big bad russian bully. the team need what kane brings and kane brings his intensity up as the heat turns up. that swagger makes everyone around him bigger and tougher. you cant get rid of kane without a replacement that does what he does. and we dont have that and there arent many available

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

The last part of your sentence, you have no idea about. No one does.

Every year you retain Kane at this age, chances are he regresses. Do you agree? Oilers fans love buying how and selling low- then complain they sold low. You move him when his value is high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad