Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just noting for the thread that at the trade deadline Mahe informed Holland that we were 28th for finishing in this League. Holland acknowledged it, then said well we need a RH Center for faceoffs.

You’d think Guentzel and upgrading Ceci with a D you’re actually going to play would be a priority. Instead we have a better D he traded for who sits and the RHC he got is also in the press box.

Classic Holland. For every good move there’s 2 bad moves and 1 downright disastrous move.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
There’s definitely a chance that after these playoffs the McDrai era is over

If they lost in the first round, probably. But if Leon is injured and other players are fighting through injuries, it is what it is. If Leon wants out because of that, fine

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
If they lost in the first round, probably. But if Leon is injured and other players are fighting through injuries, it is what it is. If Leon wants out because of that, fine
That’s the thing, if he doesn’t sign this summer the only alternative from that is to look at trading him. Once that decision is made is could open the floodgates

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
That’s the thing, if he doesn’t sign this summer the only alternative from that is to look at trading him. Once that decision is made is could open the floodgates

Yes, they would have to trade him. Not sure about floodgates opening though. I don't think he'd be the only move, but the timing would make a lot of sense with a new GM wanting to make a refresh.

I just don't really buy this "unless they win it all it's over" stuff. They said Cup or Bust, yeah, but that's supposed to be a "we're going to do whatever we can to win" mentality.

Is there a specific round loss that would be "we'll roll it back with a couple changes" scenario? Conference Finals, Cup Finals?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
One thing is certain to me, if we lose this series to Vancouver, there must be big changes to the blue line. Nurse and Ceci have got to absolutely go. That is way too much cap utterly wasted on a D pairing that literally will give games away to the opposition.

We also need a really good replacement for Holland. A GM that knows the modern game. We probably have one more year after this to secure a cup championship with McDrai. Otherwise, it's curtains on the McDrai era.
I think the issue is a little more systemic than that.

This team still lives and dies with McDavid. The only guys on the team that had good seasons are guys who directly play with McDavid. Hyman, Bouchard, Ekholm, Drai. That isn't a coincidence to me.

I don't think any pairing that primarily plays with the second line is going to have success no matter who you bring in. Drai has struggled at 5v5 away from McDavid and he's either got bums or $5M players that are basically replacement level players at 5v5 on his wings. You move Drai up with McDavid and you've got about $15M worth of players that are too scared to try to make an impact on that second line.

I think the non-McDrai "core" need to be purged about as much as the "Core 4" in Toronto does.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
so, after Skinner has shown once again that he can't be relied on, the #1 need this offseason is a goaltender

who are we getting?

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
so, after Skinner has shown once again that he can't be relied on, the #1 need this offseason is a goaltender

who are we getting?
Ummmmm...have you seen how the goaltending on Boston is doing? Ypu must be one of the guys that was calling for Gibson, Jake Allen, or any one of the other duds that had way worse numbers than Skinner. Such fickle people

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
You’d think Guentzel and upgrading Ceci with a D you’re actually going to play would be a priority. Instead we have a better D he traded for who sits and the RHC he got is also in the press box.

Classic Holland. For every good move there’s 2 bad moves and 1 downright disastrous move.

Guentzel is definitely better than Henrique, but look at the cost. We literally don’t have a 60 point physical forward signed for the next few years (at least not without a NMC) to match Bunting, which means the prospects are going to have to be pretty damn good. Are you prepared to give up say McLeod, Holloway, Broberg, and a 1st for a rental?

Who was the dman who was an upgrade on Ceci? Because Walker/Miller/Dumba/Edmundson/etc aren’t upgrades, and we didn’t have the assets for Byram. There was only Tanev, and it was reported we offered a 1st, and they took a 2nd, so they clearly have no intention of trading with us

Ullmark +++ for Drai if Leo won’t re-sign

Ullmark who has a worse save percentage than Skinner in the playoffs this year? He’s like the 2nd or 3rd piece in that deal. Not the main one.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You don't move on from Skinner at this point. You support him better.
For this playoffs I agree completely. I'm also fine with making every game a blank slate. The deeper you get in the playoffs, the more important the games get. If his best hockey is ahead of him, all is forgiven.

But if we are eliminated and its partly because we always have the 2nd best goalie on the ice, this becomes priority #1 going forward

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
For this playoffs I agree completely. I'm also fine with making every game a blank slate. The deeper you get in the playoffs, the more important the games get. If his best hockey is ahead of him, all is forgiven.

But if we are eliminated and its partly because we always have the 2nd best goalie on the ice, this becomes priority #1 going forward
The priority is and will always be in the competitive era of this team to have the ability to improve year over year. Without the supporting depth, the roster will always fall short, regardless of who is in goal.

Adin Hill and Arturs Silovs are two recent examples of how difficult it is to foresee how a goaltender will perform over a short time period in the playoffs. Plenty of examples out there that will show you how perceived 'elite' goalies can still underperform on that same stage.

I think the Oilers have a reliable starter in Skinner. They lack a reliable #2 that can cover the other 35-40 games of the regular season.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
After this run in the playoffs, win or lose.
Offload Campbell at all costs. Don't care if it takes multiple picks or prospects.

The money is there for Drai. Anyways. There is nothing to worry about there.
It's about continuing to have a contending team every year after the big boys are resigned. If Campbell isn't traded or bought out, you trade ceci.

Reactions: MessierII

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Offload Campbell at all costs. Don't care if it takes multiple picks or prospects.

It's about continuing to have a contending team every year after the big boys are resigned. If Campbell isn't traded or bought out, you trade ceci.

Yep. There’s no amount of picks and prospects that matter if it costs us Connor or Leon. Much like Kassian, just bite the bullet and move the futures. Is a 3rd this upcoming draft and a second next year helping us more right now than the 3.2 million in extra cap? Clearly not. So just move on from him, however it needs to be done

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Campbell never got a fair shake this season but when you’re making 5 million to be the starter you have to be way better. I hope we can find a trade where we retain instead of buying him out but that might be the only option.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

who are we getting?
No one we get would be a legit upgrade on Skinner or even Pickard.

Get Swayman or Saros, we aren't much better. Goaltending is a crapshoot after top 2 or 3 guys.

Another observation, Nucks seemed to snatch all the players our fan bases has wanted to add these past couple deadlines.
Soucy, Lindholm, Lafferty, Zadorov etc. I think we were in on most of them at some point.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Campbell never got a fair shake this season but when you’re making 5 million to be the starter you have to be way better. I hope we can find a trade where we retain instead of buying him out but that might be the only option.
Or retain and then have him bought out. Utah might be an option here. They have $43M in cap space, no one significant to sign and owner that is willing to spend money.

Buying out Campbell at 50% is $4.5M in real money spread out over 6 years. That's comparable with what Kassian was owed, though Kassian actually played out part of his deal.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
No one we get would be a legit upgrade on Skinner or even Pickard.

Get Swayman or Saros, we aren't much better. Goaltending is a crapshoot after top 2 or 3 guys.

Another observation, Nucks seemed to snatch all the players our fan bases has wanted to add these past couple deadlines.
Soucy, Lindholm, Lafferty, Zadorov etc. I think we were in on most of them at some point.
Don't forget Kuzmenko

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
McAvoy for Drai.

The trade is a 1 for 1.

Boston wouldn't do it.
I think Drai likes it here and if we manage to go deeper than BOS he will re up here.

BOS is showing why they won't be contenders for much longer..

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
You don't move on from Skinner at this point. You support him better.
Agreed.

Helly got lit up. Swayman was elite against Toronto and now Florida is lighting him up.

In both cases, the goaltender wasn't the issue. The team in front of them found opponents that outclassed them.

Edmonton has had games/moments in both rounds where they LET they opponent outclass them and Stu gets lit up.

But when the team plays solid in-front of him, he is fantastic. Remember that stretch we had of allowing two or fewer goals?

If we don't get the job done, keep making the team better in front of him

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad