Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oilers (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He's made in impact in exactly zero playoffs for us. He's as good as gone unless he wants under 2 million.
At this point I don't even know I go that high. 1.5mil even seems a bit high.

Sign a bunch of guys to league minimum or 1mil deals and let them and whatever youngerish prospects we have going into next year fight it out for those spots.

That doesn't work then spend a 4th at the deadline on some depth forward.

Reactions: FlameChampion

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
While I certainly expect that Draisaitl's willingness to re-sign will be impacted by the outcome of this playoffs I think an article like this one:

Illustrates his dilemma if his goal is to "win" somewhere else. The author claims through comments by Georges Laroque in an article by Jimmy Murphy
that Draisaitl is interested in playing for the Bruins if he does not re-sign with the Oilers.
It's not a popular opinion but I think there is a realistic chance that regardless of how well we do in the playoffs Draisaitl could:

a. Indicate he wants to sign elsewhere
b. Wants so much money it would be difficult to ice a team with him and McDavid's contracts

It would be an absolute disaster if Draisaitl leaves via free agency (aka. Gaudreau's us) and we end up with nothing in return. Given this, I definitely think there is a world in which we could potentially be looking at Draisaitl trade options this summer.

However, I wouldn't be okay with any trade unless we get a legit top 6 forward in return or we have already locked in a marquee free agent like Stamkos, Guentzel, Lindholm, or Marchessault (all of which are big time long shots).

The team I keep circling back to is Buffalo who have a number of young assets and who are looking to win now. A package built around Tage Thompson or Dylan Cozens along with some combination of Power, Peterka, Benson, Quinn, Byram, Savoie, and Kulich could be really enticing. Not only would we still be in win-now mode but we'd end up with more depth as a result.

With Boston, there are some interesting prospects in Lohrei and Lysell and some good pieces in Frederic, Carlo, and DeBrusk but I just don't see the "win-now" guys we need to make a move. McAvoy is a beast but they wouldn't sign Draisaitl and then trade their #1 defenceman and Poitras, while very interesting, is still a question-mark and certainly wouldn't be able to step into Draisaitl's role in the lineup like a Thompson or Cozens could.

We will definitely have an interesting off-season with Draisaitl (and two years from now again with Bouchard) and I hope the Oilers make smart choices for both the team now and the next few years of our Cup window.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
While I certainly expect that Draisaitl's willingness to re-sign will be impacted by the outcome of this playoffs I think an article like this one:

Illustrates his dilemma if his goal is to "win" somewhere else. The author claims through comments by Georges Laroque in an article by Jimmy Murphy
that Draisaitl is interested in playing for the Bruins if he does not re-sign with the Oilers.

Here is a quote from the first article:

I will ask this. When was the last time Boston won the cup? The answer is 2011 which was years before Leon entered the league. That team had Lucic in his prime, Bergeron 25, Chara 33, Krejci 24, Horton 25, Marchand 22, Seguin 18 as well as vets like Recchi, Peverley and Ryder. In addition to Chara on the back end they had Seidenberg, Boychuk, Kaberle, McQuaid and Ference. Their goalies were Tim Thomas and Tuuka Rask.

The last time the Bruins got out of the first round was 2021. But that was a much better roster. This version of the Bruin's is a shadow of that cup team in terms of talent with their top three skaters being Pastrnak 27, McAvoy 25 and soon to be 36 year old Brad Marchand. He would be 37 in the first year of Draisaitl's new deal. They are a team that wins in the regular season on the backs of solid team play and great goaltending. They also do not have a pick in the first three rounds this year and no second the year after to go along with a very limited prospect pool.

Does Leon make the Bruin's more of a contender than the Oilers would be with he and McDavid with a $13M salary??? The Bruins would have to subtract a fair bit from their current roster to fit him in. They could probably manage it next year at $8.5M but that would most likely mean a trade and signing. If the Oilers felt like they were forced to move Leon this off season what would the ask be from Boston? Futures would not be of any interest unless the plan was to completely retool with McDavid gone as well. I'd ask for Swayman and Zacha or Carlo and Lohrei. I'd also make them take Campbell at 50% retained and have them buy him out. Would the team that was left be a cup contender??? If so would the window be more than a year or two?

Frankly for me the Bruins should be viewed more like a team that may need to rebuild in three years than a team poised to make a serious run in the future.
Had the same thoughts and then I remembered that Laraque doesn’t know shit. If Draisaitl is going to get 14M and wants to go to a contender, I’m not sure the Bruins will be that team in 2 years from now.

Reactions: McDoused

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He's made in impact in exactly zero playoffs for us. He's as good as gone unless he wants under 2 million.
I think I would only sign him to a 1 year deal. And probably 1.5.

This year is the only year he provided value. That being said, he doesn’t produce in the bottom 6. He also doesn’t seem to be productive in the playoffs. Better to just move on.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It's not a popular opinion but I think there is a realistic chance that regardless of how well we do in the playoffs Draisaitl could:

b. Wants so much money it would be difficult to ice a team with him and McDavid's contracts

It would be an absolute disaster if Draisaitl leaves via free agency (aka. Gaudreau's us) and we end up with nothing in return. Given this, I definitely think there is a world in which we could potentially be looking at Draisaitl trade options this summer.

However, I wouldn't be okay with any trade unless we get a legit top 6 forward in return or we have already locked in a marquee free agent like Stamkos, Guentzel, Lindholm, or Marchessault (all of which are big time long shots).

The team I keep circling back to is Buffalo who have a number of young assets and who are looking to win now. A package built around Tage Thompson or Dylan Cozens along with some combination of Power, Peterka, Benson, Quinn, Byram, Savoie, and Kulich could be really enticing. Not only would we still be in win-now mode but we'd end up with more depth as a result.

With Boston, there are some interesting prospects in Lohrei and Lysell and some good pieces in Frederic, Carlo, and DeBrusk but I just don't see the "win-now" guys we need to make a move. McAvoy is a beast but they wouldn't sign Draisaitl and then trade their #1 defenceman and Poitras, while very interesting, is still a question-mark and certainly wouldn't be able to step into Draisaitl's role in the lineup like a Thompson or Cozens could.

We will definitely have an interesting off-season with Draisaitl (and two years from now again with Bouchard) and I hope the Oilers make smart choices for both the team now and the next few years of our Cup window.

In principle, I don't really disagree and you never know with any player once they're looking at a UFA payday

However, if he is "wanting to win", I doubt he waives for the team that is actively in the longest consecutive playoff drought in Buffalo, and while there was that one whisper from Laraque about Boston, if they complete the choke and own sole possession of NA pro sports team to drop 3-1 leads in back to back playoffs, he might have some pause waiving for there as well

If he doesn't care about winning and it's all about the Benjamins (not what I read from how he saves himself and elevates in the playoffs), then there are a lot more options

If regardless of the results of these playoffs he indicates he'd like to move on, they need to trade him in the summer.

Anyhow, this discussion makes me a little nauseous in the middle of a playoff run, so I'll leave my input at that

Reactions: FlameChampion

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I wonder if it is possible to get San Jose to bite on taking Campbell. They have a ton of space and Blackwood is their only netminder at the moment.

Campbell + Broberg + 1st for Granlund or something. I thought I remember interest in Broberg by them. Will free up his dead space and gain a rental for a run.
They also have Vanecek who they got from NJ who has one year left at $3.4M on the cap and Devin Cooley though the latter does not seem to be ready for the NHL. Vanacek looked decent in NJ for teh first half of the 2022-23 year before cooling off significantly in the second half. He had a bad year last year in NJ before being dealt to SJ where he spent the remainder of the year on the IR.

A deal involving Campbell and Vanecek might make some sense if the Sharks see Campbell as an upgrade. How this might play out, including what other assets would be involved, would take some thought. One possibility would be to use Utah as a third team to make things work. They have $43M+ in cap space and can likely spend to the cap next year.

I recognize that it is possible that Draisailt wants to move on though I fully expect him to re-sign. I can't see it being about money. There is no reason why the Oilers cannot match any other offer from a term that I suspect Draisiatl would have any interest in going to if winning matters. This is especially true when you note that the Oilers can offer the 8th year. The McKinnon deal helps to limit the ask.

I think this next series is a factor. Win and even if they were to lose to a team like the Avs I think Draisaitl would stay. If they lost in a sweep that could change things.

Buffalo does have some very good pieces. But would Draisaitl sign there especially given the pieces that would be moving out. The franchise seems cursed. No matter how many terrific young players they have had teh results have not changed.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
They also have Vanecek who they got from NJ who has one year left at $3.4M on the cap and Devin Cooley though the latter does not seem to be ready for the NHL. Vanacek looked decent in NJ for teh first half of the 2022-23 year before cooling off significantly in the second half. He had a bad year last year in NJ before being dealt to SJ where he spent the remainder of the year on the IR.

A deal involving Campbell and Vanecek might make some sense if the Sharks see Campbell as an upgrade. How this might play out, including what other assets would be involved, would take some thought. One possibility would be to use Utah as a third team to make things work. They have $43M+ in cap space and can likely spend to the cap next year.

I recognize that it is possible that Draisailt wants to move on though I fully expect him to re-sign. I can't see it being about money. There is no reason why the Oilers cannot match any other offer from a term that I suspect Draisiatl would have any interest in going to if winning matters. This is especially true when you note that the Oilers can offer the 8th year. The McKinnon deal helps to limit the ask.

I think this next series is a factor. Win and even if they were to lose to a team like the Avs I think Draisaitl would stay. If they lost in a sweep that could change things.

Buffalo does have some very good pieces. But would Draisaitl sign there especially given the pieces that would be moving out. The franchise seems cursed. No matter how many terrific young players they have had teh results have not changed.
I don't see San Jose jumping into a more expensive old goaltender with term.

They're finally facing what looks like a long rebuild so getting a better goaltender (though highly dubious Campbell is) doesn't help their need to tank for elite blue chip draft prospects. San Jose is also eating big money, over $5 million for multiple years of retention, as well as multiple years of buy-outs, $2.9 million next season, falling to $1.6 million for an additional three years thereafter. San Jose has seriously painted itself into a corner with little flexibility. It's also a franchise likely to suffer at the game with a deep, prolonged rebuild only starting to take shape.

There's really no hockey or business case to take on Campbell's boondoggle contract.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017

If Draisaitl goes I think there is much less reason for McDavid to stay. As he said, he is his ride or die

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
If Draisaitl goes I think there is much less reason for McDavid to stay. As he said, he is his ride or die

Disagree. I think McDavid prioritises winning over all else. If Draisaitl goes to another team chances are close to zero that they can afford to sign McDavid as well anyways.
And if Draisaitl doesn't stay, I would expect us to use the capspace on another elite forward keeping us a contender.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
The way Foegele is playing in the playoffs you almost have to let him walk. Good regular season, not making an impact at all. Can’t give him a raise.

he's had pretty bad puck management too. Seems nervous

I wonder if Brown gets a look in his spot soon?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Why are you psychopaths discussing Draisaitl potentially not re-signing when we are neck deep in a playoff run?

Disgusting behavior.
Because it's rumors and proposals thread and is not limited to Draisaitl. Kane, Foegele, Ceci and all other guys who are neck deep in playoffs run are also being discussed.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
he's had pretty bad puck management too. Seems nervous

I wonder if Brown gets a look in his spot soon?
IMO he has the lowest hockey IQ of all of our forwards. Good shot and speedy but not much else to his game.

Reactions: sepHF

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't see San Jose jumping into a more expensive old goaltender with term.

They're finally facing what looks like a long rebuild so getting a better goaltender (though highly dubious Campbell is) doesn't help their need to tank for elite blue chip draft prospects. San Jose is also eating big money, over $5 million for multiple years of retention, as well as multiple years of buy-outs, $2.9 million next season, falling to $1.6 million for an additional three years thereafter. San Jose has seriously painted itself into a corner with little flexibility. It's also a franchise likely to suffer at the game with a deep, prolonged rebuild only starting to take shape.

There's really no hockey or business case to take on Campbell's boondoggle contract.
What would it cost to get Utah to buyout 50% of Campbell's contract?? That is a $4.5M over 6 years cost in real money. The cap is not so relevant to them since they will take a few years to get anywhere close to the cap even if they do go big game hunting. Unlike a team like Vegas I can't see Salt Lake City being an immediate draw for UFA's.

They need defense. Assuming that the Oilers want to improve on Ceci, would Ceci, Bourgault and a late pick get them to do this? If so the cap hit for the Oilers would be

$550K
$1.15M
$1.3M
$750K
$750K
$750K

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
What would it cost to get Utah to buyout 50% of Campbell's contract?? That is a $4.5M over 6 years cost in real money. The cap is not so relevant to them since they will take a few years to get anywhere close to the cap even if they do go big game hunting. Unlike a team like Vegas I can't see Salt Lake City being an immediate draw for UFA's.

They need defense. Assuming that the Oilers want to improve on Ceci, would Ceci, Bourgault and a late pick get them to do this? If so the cap hit for the Oilers would be

$550K
$1.15M
$1.3M
$750K
$750K
$750K
It's an interesting case. I think Utah will operate differently with a new owner and dialed in market. They have incredible draft collateral to make meaningful trades to firm up their d-corp and other positional needs. And 'the bank' aka owner who will likely encourage an aggressive free agency strategy. Lots of great building blocks in place and the collateral and will to move this poverty franchise forward quickly.

Personally I just don't see the Oil able to avoid a Campbell buy-out. Unless they find someone wanting to swap poison, non moveable deals.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

$550K
$1.15M
$1.3M
$750K
$750K
$750K

I really wouldn't expect Utah to be making these sort of cap dumping moves in their inaugural season. You only get one first impression with your new fanbase and creating dead capspace isn't a great look. They also already have too many draft picks as is. If anything I think they'll be trying to upgrade as their goal is likely playoffs.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad