Rumor: Rumours and Proposals: Part 9 - BOO--Urns Stays with Sharks 8y8M

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
He's not really. What do you think you're going to get for a $6M 37 point player, which is what RNH is on pace for? That would be two straight years under 40 points (I know, injuries) and that's not a good look on him.

If you think he's actually gonna end up with 37 points, there's no point in me arguing with you.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
You are so wrong.

If you don't think he's vastly and drastically overpaid for what he is brining to the table, then maybe you should watch him play a bit more... like a midget aged kid out there - sure he can keep up, but cant compete in traffic, can't win face offs worth a shot... I don't know what you think $6 Mil is worth, but personally I want a whole lot more. If they can offload Bonnie for more value, then I'd crack a bottle of cheap champagne

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's not really. What do you think you're going to get for a $6M 37 point player, which is what RNH is on pace for? That would be two straight years under 40 points (I know, injuries) and that's not a good look on him.

Points, points, points, points.

Points!

If you don't think he's vastly and drastically overpaid for what he is brining to the table, then maybe you should watch him play a bit more... like a midget aged kid out there - sure he can keep up, but cant compete in traffic, can't win face offs worth a shot... I don't know what you think $6 Mil is worth, but personally I want a whole lot more. If they can offload Bonnie for more value, then I'd crack a bottle of cheap champagne

Who cares if he's overpaid? He's a better player than anyone we'd replace him with. And he's also alot younger than anyone we could replace him with who's anywhere near as effective as he is. That money means nothing today.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If Pouliot can make 4M, Lucic 6M , Eberle 6M, Sekera 5.5M, Ference 3.7, Fayne 4M then RNH can surely make 6M.

Forget about the $$ that is Chia's job... RNH helps this team win and thats the bottom line... We dont need a Hanonic anymore.. rather have a good 3C than another #4 Dman

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
RNH++ for Tavares?
NYI gets a replacement for when JT bolts..
EDM becomes a contender
JT gets to play on a contender.
RNH get screwed over once again into another rebuild

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Friedman said on the headlines tonight that Edmonton and Arizona spoke with shattenkirk last offseason about a contract but he had no interest in being here, think that had been widely speculated but I think that's the first time I heard it from someone reliable

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Friedman said on the headlines tonight that Edmonton and Arizona spoke with shattenkirk last offseason about a contract but he had no interest in being here, think that had been widely speculated but I think that's the first time I heard it from someone reliable

Bobby Mac around the draft said the Oilers talked with Shattenkirk and he said was not interested in signing in extension and that is when the oilers went onto plan B

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
The guy I would still look to target is Brandon Montour in Anaheim. After a huge offensive season last year in the AHL, he has 12 points in 12 games to start this season. He shoots right and Anaheim already has a plethora of offence on the point as well as a young guy in Theodore who is looking to earn a regular spot in the NHL.

I have no clue what Anaheim would want in return but with the depth they already have on the blueline, I'd be at least making a call.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
RNH++ for Tavares?
NYI gets a replacement for when JT bolts..
EDM becomes a contender
JT gets to play on a contender.
RNH get screwed over once again into another rebuild

if I'm Wang/whichever boob owns the isles now I fire Snow before letting him make that trade.

He sank them and needs to be jettisoned into the sun before they move onto anything else.

And not entirely unrelated to the previous point.....I think JT has an NMC right now. I think it just kicked-in in July.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

that only makes sense if we're bringing in an expensive player and we need the cap space, and none are forthcoming. If we ditched RNH for lesser pieces, we would lose more games. It doesn't get more simple than that.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
that only makes sense if we're bringing in an expensive player and we need the cap space, and none are forthcoming. If we ditched RNH for lesser pieces, we would lose more games. It doesn't get more simple than that.

Yup. We have such a focus on perfect contracts here on hf that we often over look what the player brings. Even if they aren't a steal of a contract they can still help the team win.

Trading rnh is a poor idea right now. Imo.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The guy I would still look to target is Brandon Montour in Anaheim. After a huge offensive season last year in the AHL, he has 12 points in 12 games to start this season. He shoots right and Anaheim already has a plethora of offence on the point as well as a young guy in Theodore who is looking to earn a regular spot in the NHL.

I have no clue what Anaheim would want in return but with the depth they already have on the blueline, I'd be at least making a call.

I agree Montour would be a great target. Not sure Anaheim has any interest in moving him though. Will be interesting to see what they do with the expansion and whether they end up keeping Vatanen and Fowler (who has played very well this year) when they have Montour and Theodore on the way.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Any way that the Islanders would bite on Pulock and Strome for Eberle?

I doubt it. Seems like they're very high on Pulock, but who knows how desperate Snow could get. His jobs gotta be getting close to being on the line and trading for immediate help is something a desperate GM might do.

That said, I think the answer is still no lol.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

Points!

Who cares if he's overpaid? He's a better player than anyone we'd replace him with. And he's also alot younger than anyone we could replace him with who's anywhere near as effective as he is. That money means nothing today.

He's paid too much to not produce points. It will matter.
I'm not saying ditch him but he needs to score. If he can do what he does and put up around 20 goals and 50 points he'd be great.
10 or 12 goals isn't enough.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
If Pouliot can make 4M, Lucic 6M , Eberle 6M, Sekera 5.5M, Ference 3.7, Fayne 4M then RNH can surely make 6M.

Forget about the $$ that is Chia's job... RNH helps this team win and thats the bottom line... We dont need a Hanonic anymore.. rather have a good 3C than another #4 Dman

Those contracts are all at least a little sketchy. Doesn't really say what you want it to.
As for Hamonic, I totally agree. Larsson has that role filled.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm not saying ditch him but he needs to score. If he can do what he does and put up around 20 goals and 50 points he'd be great.

That I agree with, I just think that he will end up around there.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That I agree with, I just think that he will end up around there.

As do I. He finally has some support on his wings, and despite Eberle not looking like himself in terms of his finishing ability, that line has created a ton since being put together. They're due to break out and I think Nuge will manage to crawl back towards 15-20G 45-50P by the end of the year.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

That's a reasonable expectation for him, but his offense isn't his only weapon.

Look at how much losing Frans Nielsen hurt the Isles. It's not just the 50 points they're missing.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

Points!

That wasn't a valid rebuttal ten games into the season and is even less of one at the quarter mark. A good portion of RNH's value is tied up in his ability to produce points. That's a fundamental task of a player being paid first-line money.

To frame this another way, let me ask a simple question: if RNH doesn't score another point this year, would you consider his contract a) even value b) overpayment c) underpayment?

Who cares if he's overpaid? He's a better player than anyone we'd replace him with. And he's also alot younger than anyone we could replace him with who's anywhere near as effective as he is.

Again, this wasn't true last month and is not today. He's 45th among forwards in GA/60, with centers like Victor Rask (23, $4M/per) JG Pageau (24, $900K) Eric Staal ($3.5M), Artem Anisimov ($4.55M) and Matt Stajan ($3.125M) all either younger, cheaper and/or as effective offensively this season. All of those players also top him in on-ice Sv%, Sv% RelTM and CF60. To put it simply, he's not performing like either a shutdown center or a scoring center. He's simply middle-of-the-road, and that's not acceptable at his current salary.

That money means nothing today.

Once more, not true. His performance today affects his value today- and, thus, tomorrow. Chia will not be able to trade him for less or even equal salary if he continues to be a sub-40 point player. RNH's performance may impress you, but it's not something likely to wow an NHL GM- not when the salary cap was a concern even when it came to Taylor Hall's contract, as Ray Shero indicated it was following the Larsson trade. You're living in a fantasy world if you believe his intangible contributions- whatever they happen to be, as no numbers are able to shine a light on what, exactly, they are- translate into portability as an asset.

If you think he's actually gonna end up with 37 points, there's no point in me arguing with you.

He's no longer the first or even second option for PP time, is the first or second draw for opposing top lines, and has seen his shooting percentage go into the toilet. How is that a recipe for offensive success?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

The bolded is such a load of crap. Nuge has been fantastic in puck and board battles this year, and comes out with the puck far more often than not. If you're gonna make this claim in the same post as saying "maybe you should watch him play a bit more" then I suggest you take your own advice.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
that only makes sense if we're bringing in an expensive player and we need the cap space, and none are forthcoming.

Do you know who Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl are? There are your expensive players. Add in at least one more bridge and one more heavy salary on D in the form of a puck-mover, and you suddenly have no room for the $6 million man.

If we ditched RNH for lesser pieces, we would lose more games. It doesn't get more simple than that.

Lesser pieces like draft picks? Perhaps. But there are centers who are paid less that are out-performing him defensively, and even offensively.

Also, it's worth noting the more ice-time RNH gets, the worse Edmonton does; of the eight games he has played 18+ minutes in this year, the team is 3-5.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
If you don't think he's vastly and drastically overpaid for what he is bringing to the table, then maybe you should watch him play a bit more... like a midget aged kid out there - sure he can keep up, but cant compete in traffic, can't win face offs worth a shot... I don't know what you think $6 Mil is worth, but personally I want a whole lot more. If they can offload Bonnie for more value, then I'd crack a bottle of cheap champagne

I have yet to hear anyone complain about the face-off percentages of any of the top 7 highest point producing centers on the season:

McDavid 22 GP 28 Pts 42.8% FOW%
Scheifele 23 GP 23 Pts 43.2% FOW%
Galchenyuk 22 GP 22 Pts 39.2% FOW%
Seguin 22 GP 21 Pts 51.8% FOW%
Malkin 22 GP 21 Pts 44.9% FOW%
Sidney Crosby 16 GP 20 Pts 47.2% FOW%
Artem Anisimov 22 GP 20 Pts 42.1% FOW%

RNH has a 46.1% FOW%

People have this mindset where you get a bunch of points any other issues in your game are forgiven. Then if you don't get points to a high extent it's either all about the defensive game or being big and hitting things, but most people don't really understand what good defense is so they look for faceoff winning percentage cause that's what people on TV praise good defensive centers for when there is far more to it then that.

Regardless of what the points say when you look at the player as the sum of his parts, RNH is presently the 2nd best forward on our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad