Rumours about which prospects your team likes

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
Sennecke is a winger. Lindstrom won't be available.
Sennecke can play center and who knows who will be there at 12. The Flyers love Jett Luchanko but 12 may be to early while I doubt he is there at 32

spfan

May 4, 2009
Sennecke can play center and who knows who will be there at 12. The Flyers love Jett Luchanko but 12 may be to early while I doubt he is there at 32
He's not listed anywhere as a Center. There's no actual discussion of him being a Center either. It's not in his future.

Sure, draft day has surprises, but you hear about who's expected where. You may as well say maybe Celebrini doesn't go #1 then.

spfan

May 4, 2009
If only Buium were 6'2" like the article says. But unfortunately he is 6'0" which may be fine for some teams but not for Anaheim. If the Ducks go D at 3OA, it is a very safe bet that the player they pick will be either 6'3" or 6'7".
I mean I think it's very likely Ducks take Levshunov or Silayev. But I hate the narrative that "this team did this last year or maybe a few times, so they do always do this".
As if Ducks didn't draft Zegras and Drysdale high...
There's always going to be different circumstances.

No teams just avoid take Russians either for example either. Any team picking #1 in 2004 takes a Russian.

I even saw today someone say Coyotes wouldn't draft Dickinson because he's from the OHL. As if they didn't take Hayton very high not that long ago.

A team could have no recent history of taking small players or WHL players, but Bedard is going #1 to any team last year. Everything is going to be a different circumstance.

The only team that has a more consistent draft history is Washington and that's taking Russians because they have the Ovi influence. But even with them, it's still going to be circumstantial.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I mean I think it's very likely Ducks take Levshunov or Silayev. But I hate the narrative that "this team did this last year or maybe a few times, so they do always do this".
As if Ducks didn't draft Zegras and Drysdale high...
There's always going to be different circumstances.

No teams just avoid take Russians either for example either. Any team picking #1 in 2004 takes a Russian.

I even saw today someone say Coyotes wouldn't draft Dickinson because he's from the OHL. As if they didn't take Hayton very high not that long ago.

A team could have no recent history of taking small players or WHL players, but Bedard is going #1 to any team last year. Everything is going to be a different circumstance.

The only team that has a more consistent draft history is Washington and that's taking Russians because they have the Ovi influence. But even with them, it's still going to be circumstantial.
The Ducks drafted Zegras and Drysdale under a different GM. Verbeek has been on a mission to add both talent AND size to the organization. In two drafts he has picked only one player 6'1" or shorter (Sidorov 3rd round). He has picked guys like Gaucher, Myatovic, and Warren over much more talented players. He has plainly stated that he wants the team to be tougher to play against. I have not always agreed with his picks but his direction is clear. Whoever the Ducks pick at 3OA is very likely going to be 6'3" or taller...forward or defenseman.

spfan

May 4, 2009
The Ducks drafted Zegras and Drysdale under a different GM. Verbeek has been on a mission to add both talent AND size to the organization. In two drafts he has picked only one player 6'1" or shorter (Sidorov 3rd round). He has picked guys like Gaucher, Myatovic, and Warren over much more talented players. He has plainly stated that he wants the team to be tougher to play against. I have not always agreed with his picks but his direction is clear. Whoever the Ducks pick at 3OA is very likely going to be 6'3" or taller...forward or defenseman.
Even with those 2 not being under Verbeek, it's still like I said, all circumstantial. All it would of taken for Anaheim's supposed love for big players to not be "true" is for them to have won the 1st overall pick last year. Them picking Levshunov or Silayev doesn't validate it. All the teams rank those 2 high.

Some fans were also mocking Silyev to Utah(he won't be available anyways though), but strictly because they took another huge Russian d-man last year, plus a big Russian forward with a high 1st too. Again, as if they didn't draft a small skilled center the year before that...

Even if a team has a decently long history of drafting a specific way, all it takes is for a year where drafting that way just would not make any sense. Anaheim doesn't pass on Bedard for Carlsson.

Also, I don't really keep track of GM timelines, but a two year sample size is extremely limited too...

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Even with those 2 not being under Verbeek, it's still like I said, all circumstantial. All it would of taken for Anaheim's supposed love for big players to not be "true" is for them to have won the 1st overall pick last year. Them picking Levshunov or Silayev doesn't validate it. All the teams rank those 2 high.

Some fans were also mocking Silyev to Utah(he won't be available anyways though), but strictly because they took another huge Russian d-man last year, plus a big Russian forward with a high 1st too. Again, as if they didn't draft a small skilled center the year before that...

Even if a team has a decently long history of drafting a specific way, all it takes is for a year where drafting that way just would not make any sense. Anaheim doesn't pass on Bedard for Carlsson.

Also, I don't really keep track of GM timelines, but a two year sample size is extremely limited too...
Why are you talking about Bedard when he isn't even being discussed? My comment was regarding Buium and no one else. The Ducks are almost certainly not going to draft a 6' D with the 3OA pick. Especially one who is left-handed and more offensively minded...they already have Mintyukov, Zellweger, LaCombe, and Dionicio as offensive left handed shooting D in their system and all of them are 23 or younger. Buium is completely redundant and undersized for what Verbeek is building. If I'm wrong in 12 days I'll send you a mea culpa PM.

Reactions: 57special

spfan

May 4, 2009
Why are you talking about Bedard when he isn't even being discussed? My comment was regarding Buium and no one else. The Ducks are almost certainly not going to draft a 6' D with the 3OA pick. Especially one who is left-handed and more offensively minded...they already have Mintyukov, Zellweger, LaCombe, and Dionicio as offensive left handed shooting D in their system and all of them are 23 or younger. Buium is completely redundant and undersized for what Verbeek is building. If I'm wrong in 12 days I'll send you a mea culpa PM.
Because I said things are circumstantial. HAD the Ducks won the 1st overall pick, they would have picked Bedard. But where they were drafting, Fantili/Carlson were the likely picks. So of course they drafted a big player.

I'm not saying they're picking Buium. But it's not because he's not big. It's because he's simply not getting picked 3rd regardless of who's drafting. That's the point.

I agree they WILL almost certainly pick Levshunov/Silayev, but that's because those 2 are going in that spot regardless of what team is drafting there.

NO team just has the same draft strategy every time. The spot you're drafting in, the different draft classes presents a different situation every time.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Because I said things are circumstantial. HAD the Ducks won the 1st overall pick, they would have picked Bedard. But where they were drafting, Fantili/Carlson were the likely picks. So of course they drafted a big player.

I'm not saying they're picking Buium. But it's not because he's not big. It's because he's simply not getting picked 3rd regardless of who's drafting. That's the point.

I agree they WILL almost certainly pick Levshunov/Silayev, but that's because those 2 are going in that spot regardless of what team is drafting there.

NO team just has the same draft strategy every time. The spot you're drafting in, the different draft classes presents a different situation every time.
Arguing just to argue. You win.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

spfan

May 4, 2009
Arguing just to argue. You win.
No, you're not getting my point.

Correct, Ducks almost certainly won't take Buium, but that's because he's simply not ranked in that spot. Not because of his size. (although in my opinion he's certainly better than Silayev and at least arguably better than Levshunov)

Correct, they will almost certainly take Levshunov/Silayev, but that's because they're ranked in that spot.

You can say Verbeek likes players with size, but had they won 1st overall last year, his love for size goes out the window there cause they draft Bedard then. Thus, they wouldn't always pick for size.

My point wasn't even specifically about what Anaheim does at #3. My point was, there are 0 teams who do the same thing every time. Because you're in a different circumstance every time.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
He's not listed anywhere as a Center. There's no actual discussion of him being a Center either. It's not in his future.

Sure, draft day has surprises, but you hear about who's expected where. You may as well say maybe Celebrini doesn't go #1 then.
He is listed as a right wing however nhl scouts project him as a chance to play center. Plus the only sure pick is at one. So Carnack tell me more.
PS Look up the Hockey News Draft Review for one and see what it says about Sennecke.

Last edited:

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
With all of this talk about the Ducks only drafting big players I don’t buy into it. I mean I agree that is their objective but if they deem a smaller player (let’s say Demidov) to be the best player then they will take them. It’s not too difficult to surround skill with size. Winning teams can have a smaller offensive player on the team.

spfan

May 4, 2009
He is listed as a right wing however nhl scouts project him as a chance to play center. Plus the only sure pick is at one. So Carnack tell me more.
PS Look up the Hockey News Draft Review for one and see what it says about Sennecke.
If you think the draft is unpredictable, you shouldn't say any pick is a sure thing.
Lindstrom is ranked very high. He's not gonna be there at 12.
Sennecke isn't being talked about as a Center.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
You will find a scout who thinks pretty much every 6'+ highly skilled winger has a chance to play center. For NA skaters, however, if they aren't playing center by draft year they are quite likely to end up as a winger (Euros is different bc if they play pro ahead of draft they are typically gonna be on wing as a 17YO even if they are legit center). So team may well try Sennecke at center, but if you are picking him it's as a winger and if he ends up able to play center, that is cherry on top.

Reactions: southsider

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
You will find a scout who thinks pretty much every 6'+ highly skilled winger has a chance to play center. For NA skaters, however, if they aren't playing center by draft year they are quite likely to end up as a winger (Euros is different bc if they play pro ahead of draft they are typically gonna be on wing as a 17YO even if they are legit center). So team may well try Sennecke at center, but if you are picking him it's as a winger and if he ends up able to play center, that is cherry on top.
I was just giving an example that it has been mentioned more than once about his chance to be a center.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00