Rumours about which prospects your team likes

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
That is very true...although... its not farfetched to think Verbeek is not afraid to make a bold pick. Yakemchuk and Sennecke would fit that description. Kind of like last year when everyone had Fantilli at #2, Grant McCagg mentioned in his podcast last year that there was talk at the combine that Anaheim leaned towards Carlsson. That gossip ended up being correct. At this point, I take his combine talk very seriously.
Yeah McCagg may be an asshole - but he does seem to have some very well positioned sources and seems to have accurate takes more often than not when he’s really pushing something

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah McCagg may be an asshole - but he does seem to have some very well positioned sources and seems to have accurate takes more often than not when he’s really pushing something
McCagg was saying just last week that Gridin has ditched Michigan and then a matter of days later it turned out he was only considering his options.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I’ve always wondered when it’s a one horse race for first overall do other teams even scout or fly that player out for dinner and an interview if they aren’t drafting 1st overall?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That is very true...although... its not farfetched to think Verbeek is not afraid to make a bold pick. Yakemchuk and Sennecke would fit that description. Kind of like last year when everyone had Fantilli at #2, Grant McCagg mentioned in his podcast last year that there was talk at the combine that Anaheim leaned towards Carlsson. That gossip ended up being correct. At this point, I take his combine talk very seriously.
I'm not an expert at all, but I and many others preferred Carlsson to Fantilli last year.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
I’ve always wondered when it’s a one horse race for first overall do other teams even scout or fly that player out for dinner and an interview if they aren’t drafting 1st overall?

(I think it was) Sharks director of amateur scouting mentioned on a podcast i listened to recently that the Sharks did talk to Connor Bedard in 2023 despite knowing there is zero chance they get him, just to gather information. Talk it with a grain of salt as I have listened to way too many Draft focused podcasts recently, might not have been Morehouse, might not have been the Sharks, but it was a team representative of a team not named Blackhawks ;)

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
(I think it was) Sharks director of amateur scouting mentioned on a podcast i listened to recently that the Sharks did talk to Connor Bedard in 2023 despite knowing there is zero chance they get him, just to gather information. Talk it with a grain of salt as I have listened to way too many Draft focused podcasts recently, might not have been Morehouse, might not have been the Sharks, but it was a team representative of a team not named Blackhawks ;)
He definitely said they did this. He said they interview as many kids as they can including ones they'll never get to draft because a) you're there, why not b) only time you can get to know players before they're property of another club, so getting to know the league c) compare and contrast with "what you have" and d) help validate your list.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
2 years left though.
To me, that's a big difference. A Dman, even a top one, not playing in the NHL till his D + 3(i.e. Makar) is completely normal, and IMO, usually the way to go. D+4 is a while to wait without even having him in your system. In general, I don't think the "Russian factor" applies in his case, or at least not very much. If he is getting a regular shift on a KHL team and focussing on hockey rather than worrying about a new language and culture, then I'm cool with it.

Flyers appear to be interested in Yakemchuk. My gut tells me they only want him because I don't want him.
Seems perfect for the Flyers

Reactions: FlyguyOX

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Well yeah but he only turned out to be right after a number of sources reported that Leo was going to be the Ducks' pick on draft day. Verbeek and or his staff may have liked what they saw and heard from Sennecke and Yakemchuk that the combine but a lot can change between now and draft day.

Reactions: Rooch

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
For the Habs, won't comment on the usual names, but one I've recently seen is that they seem to have a marked interest in dman Gabriel Eliasson.

• Wow
Reactions: Blueston

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I figured it's about time we start this thread this year to see who seems particularly high on certain draft boards.

For us (Montreal), it seems like Lindstrom or Demidov are going to be our pick assuming one of them is there at 5.

I've also heard in one of the other threads that New Jersey might be high on Leo Sahlin Wallenius, though hopefully some New Jersey fans can confirm if that's true.
I could tell you which player my Canucks will steal with their 3rd round pick but then I'd have to kill you.:sarcasm:

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

AnonCommentary

Jun 4, 2024
Columbus allegedly likes Lindstrom and Sennecke. As far as we know they took those two out to dinner as the players admitted it. They also did talk to defensemen. Notably Dickinson and Buium. They did not get a dinner though.

I’m interested to see what happens with the Florida showcase.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Last year everybody had Fantilli and Carlsson 2/3 or 3/2. So, while most were predicting Fantilli to the Ducks it was far from an off the board bold pick for them to take Carlsson. This year, everybody from 2 on is a bold pick given how there is no real consensus (after #1) unlike like how the top 3 were last year.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Last year everybody had Fantilli and Carlsson 2/3 or 3/2. So, while most were predicting Fantilli to the Ducks it was far from an off the board bold pick for them to take Carlsson. This year, everybody from 2 on is a bold pick given how there is no real consensus (after #1) unlike like how the top 3 were last year.
Agree...big difference between debating over the two best players after Bedard last year and considering two players who aren't considered top 3 prospects by virtually anyone this year. And yes, I know there are about 2 people on the planet that have Yakemchuk at 3 but they are outliers...like Mars level outliers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad