Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I agree. Give up Comrie and keep Berdin. Berdin looks like a future stud.
not enough of a sample size to say that about Berdin.
Only reasons to give up Comrie:
1. there won't be a roster spot for him next year
2. you expect Helle to be your main main for the next 5 years so there's no need to carry a goalie prospect that would theoretically be ready for prime time in 1-3 years
3. Comrie ain't that good

Nov 24, 2006
I think the Sens/Stone contract talk is a ruse....and has been all along. He would only do a one deal last year to bring to free agency, not to mention he's given no indication he would stay in Ottawa. Both him and his agent have avoided the question. He is done with Melnyk and he is gone. Just a matter of where.
Didn't really consider that before. Was it Stone's choice or the Sens to do a one year only deal? Must have been Stone's idea; the other makes no sense.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Well, I've refreshed this forum 3 times before noon. Anyone else getting anxious here?
Do not expect to hear anything before Friday.

TBH, I think Stone takes an extra day to maul over their offer out of respect to the organization, giving them an answer tomorrow or Thursday.

From there, Ottawa probably has 2 to 3 serious offers on the asset already, and most likely a few more will hit their tables when it is known Stone will not reup in Ottawa. They will want to encourage a bidding war, and depending on who and how many teams get involved, this could drag out right up to the deadline.

If Chevy wants to expedite this, over pay a bit and put a deadline of Friday noon before the offer gets pulled. Walk away and do not pick up the phone unless its Dorian calling to accept. Live with the possibility your deal does not get it done and move on.

Reactions: GNP

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
@YWGinYYZ

One of us doesn't know their Roman numerals. :laugh:

Over the first eight rumour threads, I've used pretty much every combination of V and I in the titles. Thinking it's time to bring out the X. ;)

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
not enough of a sample size to say that about Berdin.
Only reasons to give up Comrie:
1. there won't be a roster spot for him next year
2. you expect Helle to be your main main for the next 5 years so there's no need to carry a goalie prospect that would theoretically be ready for prime time in 1-3 years
3. Comrie ain't that good

Or Ottawa (or whoever we're trading with) really wants Comrie to be part of the return...

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Well, I've refreshed this forum 3 times before noon. Anyone else getting anxious here?

cfb0205f7124556489be672a8dc5a24e.jpg

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Don't get me wrong I would far prefer your plan A (if Trouba is on his way out) which is Stone as a UFA in the summer flip Connor for Trouba's downgraded replacement and sell Trouba for assets. The problem is we may not get Stone in a bidding war this July 1st

From what I've read Stone was offered $ 8 mil per year over 5-6 years, or something very close to that.

What is Stone really worth ?? -- I don't think any more than $ 8 mil, and I don't know if I'd pay him that as a GM ?? I think that's real big money for a guy like Stone. For myself, I'd much rather have an Ehlers at $ 6mil, like we do.

Do the Jet's really want to get in a bidding war over a guy like Stone ?? How much do you think the Jet's could go on him, and how will it affect their other contracts ?? Players are all soon going to be asking "huge amounts" --the insanity gotta stop.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets could bridge Connor and Laine and keep them both along with Trouba and Stone.

However, I'll stick with my grand move proposal. Sign Stone, trade Connor for a good and affordable D and trade Trouba for picks and prospects.

Ehlers$6,000,000
Connor$3,250,000
Appleton$758,333
Copp$1,200,000
Lemieux$1,000,000
Scheifele$6,125,000
Tanev$2,000,000
Little$5,291,666
Lowry$2,916,666
Stone$9,000,000
Wheeler$8,250,000
Roslovic$1,106,666
Laine$7,000,000
$53,898,331
Morrissey$3,150,000
Niku$916,666
Morrow$1,000,000
Kulikov$4,333,333
Byfuglien$7,600,000
Chiarot$1,500,000
Poolman$775,000
$19,274,999
Hellebuyck$6,167,000
Brossoit$950,000
$7,117,000
Cap Hit$80,290,330
Cap$83,000,000
Difference$2,709,670
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

There is Laine bridged at 7 mil, Connor bridged at 3.25 and Stone in at 9 mil.

That D is not good enough. Morrow is really only there as a placeholder and Niku is having to play above where he should start. Maybe the Trouba return helps with that or maybe Connor is traded for D help. There are plenty of possibilities. Maybe one of our other D prospects is ready.

The point is that Stone's 9 mil is accommodated and there is 2.7 mil left.

Maybe Tanev and Connor each get a little more. Maybe Stone gets a little more. So the cushion might be less than 2.7. Lets say it is 1.7. We are still OK.

Gone are Trouba, Myers and Perreault. No major surgery, just the moves we are expecting anyway.

The next year Samberg and Kovacevic replace Kulikov and Chiarot. With a 3 mil cap increase we gain some breathing room, even after Morrissey's raise.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if Tolvanen is on the table.

I would. It wasn't long ago that they had very high hopes for him. He has been disappointing this year though, so maybe. But if they are offering him, are they also offering a 1st? No conditions?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Didn't really consider that before. Was it Stone's choice or the Sens to do a one year only deal? Must have been Stone's idea; the other makes no sense.

Stone’s deal came just as the Senators and the restricted free agent were set to have an arbitration hearing to determine the player’s contract for the 2018-19 season. Stone had reportedly asked for $9 million in arbitration, while the team countered at $5 million.

All Ottawa said was:

"Signing him is the first step in a process that allows us to continue to negotiate a long-term deal in the new year."

My guess is you are right... it was Stone's idea to file for arbitration. It kept him under contract, got a descent salary, and made him a UFA this season... as we have seen.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Stone’s deal came just as the Senators and the restricted free agent were set to have an arbitration hearing to determine the player’s contract for the 2018-19 season. Stone had reportedly asked for $9 million in arbitration, while the team countered at $5 million.

All Ottawa said was:

"Signing him is the first step in a process that allows us to continue to negotiate a long-term deal in the new year."

My guess is you are right... it was Stone's idea to file for arbitration. It kept him under contract, got a descent salary, and made him a UFA this season... as we have seen.

Which is exactly what Trouba will do this summer.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
No doubt. Trouba's whole goal has been to become a UFA. No interest in signing long term before that. So Chevy could find himself a year from now in the same boat as Ottawa.

Chevy's boat will be worse though as the Jets are contending, the Sens are not. Easier decision to sell Trouba if we sucked, even if we didn't want to.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Would rather trade Connor than Ehlers 100%

I'm certainly with you on this post --all the way. Both are really great young players, however Ehler's is a "control player" and can keep the puck in possession with his speed, and fast lateral movement. Ehler's is very much a zig zag player-"all over the ice." Ehler's also possesses a hard accurate shot and is signed at a reasonable contract. ( 6 mil-6yrs)

Connor is more your traditional vertical type player --sort of like Scheifele. Connor has better hands in close around the net than Ehlers, but Ehlers has a far better shot from 25 feet out.

When you consider that Ehlers likely could get $ 7.5 mil on the market, I'd stick with Ehlers all day long over Connor. Ehler's has much more versatility. I'm glad we have both of these young guys though. Their likely similar in value to a GM's eye.

I'd be very disappointed if the Jets traded Ehlers --he's so exciting to watch.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Another question - even if Stone has us as his desired location, would $9M be too much to pay for what he brings?
i.e.: should a 60 point winger be our highest paid player?

Reactions: HPsauce

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You aren't the only one with that opinion - but Ehlers is way ahead statistically.
MrcvQYN.jpg

Ehlers has become a very strong 2 way player as well as still being outstanding offensively.
Yes but fans don't look at things objectively the heart wants what it wants. Ehlers is better objectively.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Do not expect to hear anything before Friday.

TBH, I think Stone takes an extra day to maul over their offer out of respect to the organization, giving them an answer tomorrow or Thursday.

From there, Ottawa probably has 2 to 3 serious offers on the asset already, and most likely a few more will hit their tables when it is known Stone will not reup in Ottawa. They will want to encourage a bidding war, and depending on who and how many teams get involved, this could drag out right up to the deadline.

If Chevy wants to expedite this, over pay a bit and put a deadline of Friday noon before the offer gets pulled. Walk away and do not pick up the phone unless its Dorian calling to accept. Live with the possibility your deal does not get it done and move on.
At some point I would think Chevy would want time to pursue a plan b.

Reactions: GNP

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Another question - even if Stone has us as his desired location, would $9M be too much to pay for what he brings?
i.e.: should a 60 point winger be our highest paid player?
Would love to extend him for around 8 x $8.5M. If another team wanted to match the total contract value on a 7-year deal they would need to go to $9.7M per year.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Does anybody else think like me here ?? if a player like Stone turns down $ 8 mil, and thinks he can get $ 10 mil -- will most teams with star players afford to be able to keep them ?? I don't think so --it's starting to spiral out of control.

One thing it will do --is create a lot more parity in the league. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad