Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Friedman says he heard Kane was asked to waive but he hasn’t yet.

This was on the 32 Thoughts podcast after the draft.
Interesting. I was close to advocating to trade Kane throughout the season, but stopped short because I wanted to see what he could bring in the playoffs. He brought some value in the playoffs, but also hurt us. Overall, not good enough.

Now there are reports he didn’t take his training seriously. At 5M, it’s time to move on.

Now I wonder if this is the cap freeing move Bob hinted at.

Reactions: Tom Brady

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
If we assume Henrique is gone our forward makeup is

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Holloway - Draisaitl - Kane
No one
Janmark - McLeod - Brown

So either way we need an entire 3rd line.

Yeah we’re going to need a 3C and a top 6 winger too and probably only have money for 1 unless we move some cap out

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Well that's interesting. If Kane refuses to waive hopefully he comes back with a chip on his shoulder with something to prove instead of becoming a distraction.
Unfortunately, Kane's history suggests he'll sulk instead of play with a chip on his shoulder. Too bad he was never the same player after taking Maroon's skate to his forearm. If the Oilers had 2022 Kane these playoffs, they would have likely won the Cup.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You guys misinterpreted Friedman.

"There were rumors that they had asked Evander Kane to waive his no move clause, but as of Saturday that has not occured." Oilers haven't asked yet.
Lol k. Well my thoughts on Kane remain the same. If they buy him out, I’m fine with it at this point. After his wrist injury, you’d have liked the guy to double down his efforts to get back to 100%. It doesn’t seem like he did that.

NotASheep

Feb 23, 2019
Just in recent memory, they've dumped bad contracts/players in Lucic, Kassain, Yamamoto, and even Puljujarvi(so they could acquire Ekholm)

So that's not really true
It cost us draft picks and we still paying for the Kassian trade. That is why have no 2nd rounder next year

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I have a very strong feeling that’s gonna be Arvidson
I know he's older but I much prefer him to Debrusk, just more consistency in his game.
The only issue with Arvidsson is that it'll be tough to give him a multi-year deal because of the Oilers cap issues going forward. Might have to make Campbell's contract disappear completely to achive that.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
If Henrique goes back to the Ducks I maybe a little annoyed. I was hoping he would stay but it sounds like his asking price is more than the oilers can afford

I see both sides of it. Probably gets more in Anaheim, nice sunny destination with his roots already set up there from the last 5 years.

If he wants to win we're a great fit for him. Would think a career earnings of $50m would be enough to not chase the money when you're on the back 9 and haven't won a cup.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I know he's older but I much prefer him to Debrusk, just more consistency in his game.
The only issue with Arvidsson is that it'll be tough to give him a multi-year deal because of the Oilers cap issues going forward. Might have to make Campbell's contract disappear completely to achive that.
We won’t have the money for either, even if buying out Campbell. Gotta look at 3rd liners who might excel. Guys like Heinen, Noesen, Sprong.

Reactions: McHelpus

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Leafs looking to sign Tanev to 6-7 years? Lol, no way. His last contract which was signed when he was 4 years younger was fair (4 years $4.5m). 6-7 years for this 34 year old band aid would be seriously hilarious.

He’s the kind of guy that will absolutely crater the moment he loses a step too, maybe even as early as next year. Think Vlasic in San Jose, but maybe worse.

It being Toronto though, I’m sure they’ll find a way to stuff him on LTIR the moment they feel like it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We won’t have the money for either, even if buying out Campbell. Gotta look at 3rd liners who might excel. Guys like Heinen, Noesen, Sprong.
They'll have $13.9m available (actually, I guess 12.9 with Pickard in the fold) if they buyout Campbell to sign a couple of their own guys to 4th line money and cheap RFAs. They can fit a top 6 winger in for next season and then some assuming that Henrique is gone, it's the seasons after that where it gets complicated if they go multi-year

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
No, the plan wasn’t a sign and trade. The plan was for the Oilers to trade for him so they can sign him for 8 years. Oilers offered up a 3rd or 4th round pick for his rights but Dubas turned it down. The 8th year was to get the cap down. Dubas was pissed because he thought there was tampering or something and refused to trade him out of spite.
It wasn’t about tampering - Dubas gave permission for them to work out a contract. Signing with Toronto was the only way Hyman could get 8 years. Dubas, in all his wisdom, thought doing that favour for Hyman and the Oilers was worth a lot more than a 6th. The Oilers disagreed and Toronto lost him for nothing.

The Oilers could have traded for him and signed him for 7 years themselves, but since they knew he was going to Edmonton anyway, that wouldn’t make much sense.

Reactions: foshizzle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad