Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Not much change is needed, just a little tinkering, if the Oilers weren’t limping in the finals they’d be Stanley Cup Champions, why change what worked.

IMO, the run depended on too few players having a legendary run. You can't take for granted McDavid and Bouch breaking multi-decade records again. Some of the limping was also because we failed to close out the Canucks quicker. There were some pretty bad periods in that series, much born from having a weak bottom 2 D pairs. The bottom 2 D pairs also costed us in the finals and played a big part in digging the early hole.

We also can't take the new coach bump for granted. Almost the exact same lineup looked like they couldn't even play hockey for over a month to start last year. We all know the weaknesses in this lineup. Top 6 wingers are not good enough, we always seem to leave Drai with garbage. No top 6 winger we have can actually carry a puck themselves and make plays 5v5 (Nuge cannot do this, no matter how much we wish he could), so when the whistle goes away, teams just need to tackle McDavid. We know the bottom 2 D pairs are not good, Knob had to make constant adjustments to try to figure out how to minimize the liability they were throughout the playoffs and regular season. I'm hopeful that Skinner can keep improving, so maybe goaltending is OK.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5Hollywood5

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I hope it wasn't Tracy Lane who said this
It wasn't.

Where you hearing that?
It's out there with a few people, but I'm specifically hearing it from someone that works for the Oilers in hockey ops. He's had a couple things before, but I'm not staking my reputation on it or anything.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I could see Kane being gone... because I don't think he's too fond of not being used on the powerplay... and he clearly doesn't like how often they shuffle him to a lower line.

But I don't trust any of those twitter rumour mongers

Foegele and Kane gone is a lot of goals disappearing

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Nope.

He's had a couple things in the past. I knew Pickard was re-signing for two years last night. He also had the Kane extension last time.

FWIW, he's saying Brown is re-signing for 2 years and Leon is re-signing this summer as well.
Well the Brown and Leon ones seem obvious ahaha but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Let's see what happens

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
I don't know where the cap space is coming from, but if people think we're actually in on Debrusk, I'd really like to see them add another forward and give Draisaitl two new options. Then have Holloway and Lavoie fill spots in the bottom six. I think you kind of have to pencil in Lavoie, it's essential that they get some production out of a guy like him, give him a chance to adjust to the NHL.
Just like Holloway he needs to play with McDrai to get serious looks!

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I could see Kane being gone... because I don't think he's too fond of not being used on the powerplay... and he clearly doesn't like how often they shuffle him to a lower line.

But I don't trust any of those twitter rumour mongers

But Foegele and Kane gone is a lot of goals disappearing

If Kane really is getting traded I would think signing DeBrusk is basically a lock. He and his wife are from here and spend their summers here. His wife actually recently graduated as a doctor from the University of Alberta. Obviously his dad still lives here as well.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
If Kane really is getting traded I would think signing DeBrusk is basically a lock. He and his wife are from here and spend their summers here. His wife actually recently graduated as a doctor from the University of Alberta.

If I was Jake I would rethink signing here.

He will be a whipping boy.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Interesting stuff, ChaoticOrange. I don't suppose you have any ideas as to where Kane would go and what kind of return the Oilers would look for? Or the type of player they want back? Would really like to see Janmark re-signed as well, if they bring Brown back. I said it before but I doubt Henrique will re-sign back here. 2/3rds of the 3rd line would be pretty decent.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
DAMNIT NOW WE HAVING NOTHING TO SHOW FOR LOSING BEAR>

THANKS AGAIN HOLLAND

/s
HOLLAND.gif

Foegele had his moments, but he got his 20 goals, and couple good playoff games in the finals. He's gonna get a deal a team ends up regretting. Way too inconsistent to justify. Gotta move on.

Carrick is below replacement level. Can get a player like him any day of the week for a late pick, or multiple times a month on waivers.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Interesting stuff, ChaoticOrange. I don't suppose you have any ideas as to where Kane would go and what kind of return the Oilers would look for? Or the type of player they want back? Would really like to see Janmark re-signed as well, if they bring Brown back. I said it before but I doubt Henrique will re-sign back here. 2/3rds of the 3rd line would be pretty decent.
all I'll say for now is it's an eastern conference team and it would be a player coming back, also a large contract, that may have worn out his welcome in his current team.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Interested to see what a Kane trade will look like.

Probably has to happen regardless. He's too injury prone, we've heard rumblings all year that he's a distraction, and this team is too close to the cup to have a 5+ million dollar defensive liability who can't play in the top six anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad