Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeh I know Oil Country is really down on Mcleod. I still see a good player there, there’s lots of tools to work with and a decent tool box. He needs to take this offseason though and realize he needs to be more of a bottom 6er and less of a top 6er. He needs to hit more often and he needs to crash more nets. I think with his skating and his head for the game, he should be able to transition to that type of game no problem.
I don’t think you can really teach the willingness to take contact to a guy who has always avoided it.
If we want to keep him as a bottom 6 winger, there is value to that. But as a center his game is just not a fit for a team of our level.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
McLeod is an absolutely awful center and he proved that all year. He can handle bottom 6 wing but he offers nothing at center

If you have to keep upgrading your 3c every deadline, maybe stop putting that guy as your 3c
There is that saying that insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results, but McLeod of 2023-24 is not the same as next season's version. Look at how people see Broberg now. We should give more chances to young guys. We've invested so much in McLeod.

We should even give a real look at Lavoie. Maybe in the Perry spot

Reactions: McTonyBrar

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeh I know Oil Country is really down on Mcleod. I still see a good player there, there’s lots of tools to work with and a decent tool box. He needs to take this offseason though and realize he needs to be more of a bottom 6er and less of a top 6er. He needs to hit more often and he needs to crash more nets. I think with his skating and his head for the game, he should be able to transition to that type of game no problem.

He offers responsible 2 way play as a 3C. Brings elite speed to get back and dart in and out of defensive plays.
He isn’t a 2 way center though. He brings zero offensively at 3c. He is an adequate 4c maybe but is much better on the wing.

He is a guy we are literally upgrading on every deadline. That’s a sign.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don’t think you can really teach the willingness to take contact to a guy who has always avoided it.
If we want to keep him as a bottom 6 winger, there is value to that. But as a center his game is just not a fit for a team of our level.
He’d need to hit as a 3C or a Winger though. Probably even more as a Winger that is expected to start the forecheck. If anything I’d keep him on as a 4C (would be one of the better 4Cs in the League) and see how he progresses with more realization of what needs to change in his game.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There is that saying that insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results, but McLeod of 2023-24 is not the same as next season's version. Look at how people see Broberg now. We should give more chances to young guys. We've invested so much in McLeod.

We should even give a real look at Lavoie. Maybe in the Perry spot
We have given tons of chance to McLeod and he has shown what he is at center. He is fine as a winger but his game is not good for a center. Especially in the playoffs.
When deep in the playoffs ancient Derek Ryan is playing center over you that’s a problem.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
My issue with McLeod on the wing is he's clearly too soft of a player to make the necessary plays to get the puck out. It happened on the first goal and it almost happened again like 5 minutes later into the game.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
My issue with McLeod on the wing is he's clearly too soft of a player to make the necessary plays to get the puck out. It happened on the first goal and it almost happened again like 5 minutes later into the game.
That’s true but he doesn’t have the strength, faceoff ability or really anything else to excel at center. He utilizes his speed much better when he is on the wing

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Man he doesn’t know lol. He’s adding more fire to the podcast for more discussions. I wouldn’t rely on him. Don’t forget that he thought trading Barrie for Ekholm was a mistake

There is a difference between news/rumors and hockey opinions.

I’m sure Rishaug knows a lot about what’s going on with the Oilers. He’s been on the beat forever.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We have given tons of chance to McLeod and he has shown what he is at center. He is fine as a winger but his game is not good for a center. Especially in the playoffs.
When deep in the playoffs ancient Derek Ryan is playing center over you that’s a problem.
Center is a more difficult position, and likely why he's looked better on the wing. If he takes another step forward he should be able to excel at center. We have options if it doesn't work out, and if it does then it will pay off big time

I like the idea of putting him in between Janmark and Brown. If their play style rubs off on McLeod that is exactly what he needs

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He isn’t a 2 way center though. He brings zero offensively at 3c. He is an adequate 4c maybe but is much better on the wing.

He is a guy we are literally upgrading on every deadline. That’s a sign.
He’s a defensively responsible center and can get the job done in his own zone, often does. Brings production only sporadically and streakily though. But there is some offence, not none. 4 goals in the last 2 playoff rounds. He can also make plays in the o zone and can play with offensively gifted players. I would call thay 2 way.

Reactions: Mr Positive

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
After the Avs and Knights losses. I think we had a clearer picture of what this team needed moving forward. Harder to say after watching us get to Game 7, the team was right there.

We should probably assume that Nurse won’t ever figure it out at this point. If there’s a way to get rid of him, you do.

Failing that, we should assume that we need someone more reliable than Ceci.

Should also assume that McDrai will need more help moving forward. Actual Top 6 talent should be another priority.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
After the Avs and Knights losses. I think we had a clearer picture of what this team needed moving forward. Harder to say after watching us get to Game 7, the team was right there.

We should probably assume that Nurse won’t ever figure it out at this point. If there’s a way to get rid of him, you do.

Failing that, we should assume that we need someone more reliable than Ceci.

Should also assume that McDrai will need more help moving forward. Actual Top 6 talent should be another priority.
Agreed. Wouldn't be surprised if the D gets the most significant upgrades this off-season.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Friedman says Mikheyev waives his NTC for the Hawks.

God damn. So essentially they paid a 2nd to dump 4.75Mx2.

The 4th and Lafferty essentially cancels eachother out value wise.

We paid 2nd and 3rd to dump 3.25Mx2 in Kassian. But I guess flat cap is becoming less of a thing nowadays. And Kassian proved to be close to useless, whereas Mikeyhev can still play a viable NHL game.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
You'd need to find a taker. Imo it still makes more sense to upgrade his partner. He played tons better away from our RDs but it's not ideal to have him play with other LDs like Broberg or Kulak.

But sure, maybe there is a way. Maybe the most probable is to trade him for a similar player but the RD version. Seth Jones' contract and status are similar. Hamilton is too much like Bouchard. Maybe send extra value to Chicago and they retain a chunk
The problem is you can’t have Bouchard at 10M and Nurse at 9.25. One has to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad