Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
We need two game breakers and that's McDavid and Drai. The reality is the deals can't start with 14M. Vegas and Florida are the only 2 teams that won the cup with 10M player(Eichel and Barkov). Both teams has no state tax tho. Vegas has been cheating. People keep saying, well the cap is going to 100M. Well they said the same thing during McDavid and Drai first big deal
Here is why this claim is made. The revenues this year were estimated to be $6.2B in April. The success of the playoffs may bump this a little. But even at this number once you strip off incidentals the players get 50% of at least $5.7B. Under normal conditions that would put the mid point of the cap at $89M and the ceiling at $102.4M.

Now the new CBA capped escrow at 6% and held back cap increases while the players paid back covid money. The latter has been accomplished and this year it looks like the players will get back not only all of their escrow but even more. That means we are at the very least likely to see the full permissible 5% year over year increases and probably more. The 5% increases would take the cap to $97M which would still be $5M under this years cap if we were using the old formula.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Ok so nurse didn’t show up today? I think he is sick of the attention honestly. Utah is looking for a top pairing dman.

I think Jackson is gonna do some dirty work before hiring a new GM potentially. Buyout Campbell, trade Nurse and maybe more. New GM comes in later, doesn’t have to start their job making tough choices.

Edit: people aren’t taking about Bouchard extending very much at all. I guarantee this is a big priority for Jackson. Nurse is gone, can’t have both.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heavy Dee

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I would like to bring back Foegele and Henrique. It sounds like they would both be able to take pay cuts to return and win with this team.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
If Bob is saying it then I believe it’s pretty much true
Bob was pounding the “Leon is his own man” drum for a long time. Insinuating Leon would test the market when the time came.

Bob is so owned by the Oilers I have no idea what to think about him anymore.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Yeh if Stauff had been hearing anything different on the Leon front, he’d be in full damage control mode. Probably would tweet a cryptic reference to some guy who played in the WHL in the 70s who left his team and that team rebounded and won a championship. Let’s call him Slappy Anderson and the Saskatoon Wranglers or something.
Dude that sounds exactly like what he would do. :laugh:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Bob was pounding the “Leon is his own man” drum for a long time. Insinuating Leon would test the market when the time came.

Bob is so owned by the Oilers I have no idea what to think about him anymore.

He said that before this playoff run. I think Leon's mindset changed with how the playoffs went. That was the first time I heard Leon say I love being an Oiler

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That’s excellent for the Canucks imo. Ilya f***ing sucks, I like Lafferty but they just dumped a lot of cap. We need to make similar moves.. no more dead weight.
Oh I know, but you know, basically publicly leaking a trade and you haven't even talked to the representative of the guy who as a NTC, that's my lolz.

I've always liked Mikheyev, I would take him in a deal for Campbell, no problem.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Just watching the McDavid/Draisaitl presser and Spector asking McDavid about Draisaitl's contract situation is one of the most cringe things I've seen. It had to be Spec of course.
I always thought Steve Simmons was a f***in idiot. Him and Spector must be cousins. Why the f*** would you ask McDavid anything about Drais contract status. I wonder if he ever pisses off any other fellow local media guys.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Debrusk would be such an Oilers pick up. Style wise and history wise. Another high motor, big body, speedy forward with maybe iffy hands and/or vision.

I don’t know if he’ll be worth his ask. I don’t think we could even afford him. But I guess if we got him, I’d be fine with it. Can’t argue against additions like Hyman and Brown at this point and this player type is in line with that.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Stauffer likely isn't saying that stuff if it isn't close to true

Yeah probably tough to breath with that broken rib! Lol

Do yourself a favor and check out capfriendly right before it closes. It will depend if we exercise a buyout or offload a guy like Kulak/Ceci, but we don't have a ton

Puckpedia is going to be a decent replacement for CF. Not as friendly a user interface and no Fan GM mode (yet) but it’s pretty good.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Lot of players on the market this offseason. Oilers need to rebuild the bottom six and probably need to improve on the Ceci spot, but it would be nice to see them finally address that top six depth a bit and give Drai some quality players to play with more consistently. Just hope they prioritize grit and defensive play over flash, the entire playoffs were a defensive grind and it would nice to supplement that playstyle for next year.

Curious what they do with Kane though, perpetually injured and indifferent at best on the defensive side of the puck over the last couple of years. I'm not sure it's a good idea to see if he'll recover over the summer and risk going into the playoffs again with him playing a bottom six grinder role because he's injured and/or can't be trusted with premium minutes in the top six anymore.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No one get too excited but I just heard Stauffer talk about Nurse maybe having a fresh start if he waives his NMC

I think he’s as good as gone. Stauffer alluded to a surprise move yesterday, I thought it might be Nurse. I think Nurse has asked for a trade in fact. Pretty telling he wasn’t at the presser today. Reading this (haven’t listened to his podcast yet) that Stauffer has made it public means it’s happening.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This is my template for next season. Obviously it would be based on Nurse being traded. If we can’t trade him, we won’t be able to fill as many perceived holes

IMG_3625.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad