Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
And most teams that have high end young talent aren't contenders against the cap. Broberg wanted out and did what he could to get out. Holloway wanted to stay but made his choice. Most teams that are contending also don't have a poison pill like the Nurse contract. But keep on keeping on.
Most teams have one or two unfavorable or underperforming contracts, contending or otherwise.

I'm not sure what you meant by your first sentence though. High end as in primary point producers? Broberg and Holloway were middle of the lineup pieces who could've easily been integrated into a competitive roster.

You avoid the Broberg trade request by moving Kulak after the Vegas series. It was always the right move.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Most teams have one or two unfavorable or underperforming contracts, contending or otherwise.

I'm not sure what you meant by your first sentence though. High end as in primary point producers? Broberg and Holloway were middle of the lineup pieces who could've easily been integrated into a competitive roster.

You avoid the Broberg trade request by moving Kulak after the Vegas series. It was always the right move.
Basically potential impact NHLers. Top 4D, top 6 forward, etc.

To that point Broberg had proven nothing. Do we as a board have collective amnesia to him getting blown up repeatedly because he wasn't thinking the game quickly enough and that he looked like nothing special in his pre-seasons here? The point could be made that we should've signed Kulak for a season or 2 less, but really until his last stint in the AHL and then the playoffs he looked like a guy that was a liability on a contending team.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
I'd have time in the world for Dante Fabbro

Make it happen, Bowman.

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Fabbro
Kulak Emberson

Nashville loves collecting bottom-of-the-roster defensemen like Dermott and Stecher. If we could flip one of them for Fabbro plus get a team to be a cap broker this early in the season so he's 50% off, it would be worth the extra $500K IMO to upgrade there sooner than later.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Basically potential impact NHLers. Top 4D, top 6 forward, etc.

To that point Broberg had proven nothing. Do we as a board have collective amnesia to him getting blown up repeatedly because he wasn't thinking the game quickly enough and that he looked like nothing special in his pre-seasons here? The point could be made that we should've signed Kulak for a season or 2 less, but really until his last stint in the AHL and then the playoffs he looked like a guy that was a liability on a contending team.
Broberg had proven as much as Desharnais had prior to him stepping into a far more significant role.

Fact of the matter is that the Oilers had not one, but two left shot defensemen that were capable of handling a primary pairing role at the time. Kulak was an expensive luxury that was limiting the playing time and earning potential of the team's top prospect.

I don't think there was anything wrong with Kulak's contract. He was a movable asset playing at the level expected of him. The problem was the team's lack of willingness to make the logical move. And fans for the mostpart were happy with the 'sure thing' over the growing pains of a player the organization had plenty of time for.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Nashville loves collecting bottom-of-the-roster defensemen like Dermott and Stecher. If we could flip one of them for Fabbro plus get a team to be a cap broker this early in the season so he's 50% off, it would be worth the extra $500K IMO to upgrade there sooner than later.
Also sometimes moves are made for the good of a player. If we are interested in Fabbro they may make a move to do right by him

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
How did he treat him like garbage?

I can’t take some of these posts seriously.

Shit I let myself get sucked in.

Seriously can we create a Whine About Broberg And Holloway thread for the posters who can’t let it go?
You would be the number one contributor.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
Our summer free agency, which at the time appeared to be a win, is proving to be quite the opposite of that.

I’d gladly take Broberg and Hollaway over any of the other moves we made this summer, apart from Skinner.

Last edited:

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Our summer free agency, which at the time appeared to be a win, is not proving to be quite the opposite of that.

I’d gladly take Broberg and Hollaway over any of the other moves we made this summer, apart from Skinner.
The problem with the summer moves is that anyone who could skate was moved out or allowed to walk and were replaced by slower guys. This is an issue despite what some in here say.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Why are people still thinking we could have signed Broberg and Holloway? They held out for offersheets since the winter when they were offered an extension

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Match 4.6M and 2.2M? How?
We had the space after the Ceci trade if we put Kane on LTIR before the season. The problem would have been not accruing cap space for the deadline and if Kane comes back early we'd have to trade someone out. I personally think we should have matched and dealt with things as they happened.

Reactions: Oildrum

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
We had the space after the Ceci trade if we put Kane on LTIR before the season. The problem would have been not accruing cap space for the deadline and if Kane comes back early we'd have to trade someone out. I personally think we should have matched and dealt with things as they happened.
We could match Broberg and I think we will still be where we are as Kulak would have been moved while also playing 20 men roster.

The easiest fix up right now is adding Tony Deangelo for penny on the dollar

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Moving Nurse to the right and this early is actually a good move. He doesn't look off. This also opens up more options for us at the deadline for someone like Marcus Petterson.

Reactions: Stud Muffin

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Broberg had proven as much as Desharnais had prior to him stepping into a far more significant role.

Fact of the matter is that the Oilers had not one, but two left shot defensemen that were capable of handling a primary pairing role at the time. Kulak was an expensive luxury that was limiting the playing time and earning potential of the team's top prospect.

I don't think there was anything wrong with Kulak's contract. He was a movable asset playing at the level expected of him. The problem was the team's lack of willingness to make the logical move. And fans for the mostpart were happy with the 'sure thing' over the growing pains of a player the organization had plenty of time for.

I think part of the problem is we didn't have any certainty at LD until we got Ekholm at the deadline in 2023. Broberg's true opportunity was when we had Nurse - Kulak - XX on the left side, but he didn't do anything with it.

In the 2023 off season losing Kulak wasn't an option because we had nobody of any experience behind him to play. Broberg wasn't ready yet, and deservedly got shuffled out when Ekholm was acquired.

Could he have been given more opportunity? Sure, maybe. But he wasn't out playing any of the LD such that he should step in above them, and was getting out played by Desharnais on 3RD. Could a move have been made to dump Ceci and play him on the right side with Nurse? Maybe, but that's a role that Broberg at that point had given no indication he could fill.

He's more a victim of bad timing and circumstance than being hard done by by the organization IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad