Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Vegas Claims Raph Lavoie off Waivers, Everyone Else Cleared

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
You literally said forget analytics and use everything else. If you use analytics everyday- are the numbers ever wrong? For example- if you're reporting poor data- is your CEO ever like- "yeah, i'm going to ignore that and just say we are awesome because we looked busy"?

Hall i going to be one of our deadline acquisitions- don't worry
J Skinner for T Hall at the deadline so we don’t mess up Jeffs streak :sarcasm:

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Lol, so lemme get this straight, Cody Ceci and Vinny Desharnais, a bottom pair D + an AHL career player at age 25 are the difference between being a decade of darkness/missing the playoffs/chicken with its head cut off emergency and a Cup finalist?

Anyone more hysterics we want to propose? Losing Brad Winchester was the key that caused the decade of darkness?

These arguements are dumb and deep down I think the people making them know they're dumb.

Ceci and Desharnais were crap in the 2023 playoffs and crap again in to start last season. Knoblaugh/Coffey is the main reason the entire D changed and they deserve 95% of the credit, because the same D was playing horrendous under Woodcroft for 15 or so games on top of terrible defense in the 2023 playoffs.

If we played Desharnais any more in that LA series in the 2023 playoffs, they would have beat us in round 1 that year, I've never seen one skater trying so hard to lose his own team a playoff series ever.

The Refs were targeting Desharnais in that LA series because he was a rookie who complained about a call. They called him every time he looked at anybody. That hampered his game, but hey, a rookie has to adjust and learn some things before they dial it in. After all, why didn’t McDavid simply win us a cup as a rookie?

I brought up the decade of darkness for one very clearly elucidated reason that you apparently overlooked, so let me run it back for you. You were here watching the Oilers get caved and post -200 seasons with terrible defence, so YOU, Mr. Sound wave, should have a pretty good idea of what incompetent defence looks like and just how difficult it is to find players that can play competent defence against elite opposition. You have seen that many, MANY NHL players CANNOT do that. That is the only relevance of the DoD. That reference was about YOU, but apparently you can’t countenance that. It has nothing to do with the present team, except to say that you should know that finding competent defenders to play elites is difficult. Based on what our roster looks like right now, Stan Bowman has failed to do that, because it’s hard (especially in a cap world). Get it?

Phew.

Theres a list of about 6 billion people who would have done a hell of a lot worse than Ceci or Desharnais on our right side, and it includes players currently on our roster.

Our D was barely good enough to give us a solid chance to win. It’s less good now.

Do you understand the problem yet? Or should I hold your hand for another explanation?

Pair the reality of our present roster situation with the paucity of available RD upgrades and our relative lack of prospect depth and picks for trade assets, and you cannot be certain that we will get the player that we need on RD to ice a top 4 that can compete for a cup. It wouldn’t even be that surprising if we do wind up circling back on Ceci if our Plan A fails. Which is sad, but at least it’d be a big upgrade on what we currently have.

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Former Oiler prospect Michael Kesselring sets up Utah's first goal in their franchise on an end to end rush.

Scored by Dylan Guenther.

The Hockey Gods hate Edmonton today

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You literally said forget analytics and use everything else. If you use analytics everyday- are the numbers ever wrong? For example- if you're reporting poor data- is your CEO ever like- "yeah, i'm going to ignore that and just say we are awesome because we looked busy"?

Hall i going to be one of our deadline acquisitions- don't worry
Why do you want Hall? Do you really want to make sure McDavid goes cupless as an Edmonton Oiler. Because that will do it.
Former Oiler prospect Michael Kesselring sets up Utah's first goal in their franchise on an end to end rush.

Scored by Dylan Guenther.

The Hockey Gods hate Edmonton today
Kesselring is going to be a player for a long time. A big 6'4" RD to compliment 6'4" Broberg for a decade. NOT.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Refs were targeting Desharnais in that LA series because he was a rookie who complained about a call. They called him every time he looked at anybody. That hampered his game, but hey, a rookie has to adjust and learn some things before they dial it in. After all, why didn’t McDavid simply win us a cup as a rookie?

I brought up the decade of darkness for one very clearly elucidated reason that you apparently overlooked, so let me run it back for you. You were here watching the Oilers get caved and post -200 seasons with terrible defence, so YOU, Mr. Sound wave, should have a pretty good idea of what incompetent defence looks like and just how difficult it is to find players that can play competent defence against elite opposition. You have seen that many, MANY NHL players CANNOT do that. That is the only relevance of the DoD. That reference was about YOU, but apparently you can’t countenance that. It has nothing to do with the present team, except to say that you should know that finding competent defenders to play elites is difficult. Based on what our roster looks like right now, Stan Bowman has failed to do that, because it’s hard (especially in a cap world). Get it?

Phew.

Theres a list of about 6 billion people who would have done a hell of a lot worse than Ceci or Desharnais on our right side, and it includes players currently on our roster.

Our D was barely good enough to give us a solid chance to win. It’s less good now.

Do you understand the problem yet? Or should I hold your hand for another explanation?

Pair the reality of our present roster situation with the paucity of available RD upgrades and our relative lack of prospect depth and picks for trade assets, and you cannot be certain that we will get the player that we need on RD to ice a top 4 that can compete for a cup. It wouldn’t even be that surprising if we do wind up circling back on Ceci if our Plan A fails. Which is sad, but at least it’d be a big upgrade on what we currently have.

Oh puh-leaze Desharnais was a f***ing dummy in that LA series, one of the worst defensive performances I've ever seen from any Oilers D ever, he made Tyson Barrie look like a Norris trophy winner by comparison.

In 2024, Desharnais got benched because he was stinking up the joint in the Dallas series.

He is what he is, an AHL tweener playing above his head and way above his foot speed in the NHL.

The D SYSTEM from Knoblaugh/Coffey was outstanding last year DESPITE having to make due with undesirable pieces like Ceci and Desharnais, don't kid yourself. They are the reason we made the Finals.

Knoblaugh 100% should have won coach of the year last year, he shut down Tocchet's much ballyhooed Canucks for the last 4 games of that series including game 6 and 7 where they could barely piss a drop until McLeod decided to be a moron and gift them a freebie goal off nothing late in game 7. They had *nothing* going all game 6 or 7 until then.

If we had Knoblaugh a year earlier IMO we beat Vegas, we let them off the hook with Woodcroft's brain dead man-to-man system that had D abandoning the front of the net to go chase up by the blue line ... total stupidity. We had the lead in both game 5 and 6, Knoblaugh's much better system would've shut Vegas' ass down right there and then.

Knoblaugh doesn't get the credit he deserves, even a lot of Oiler fans are too dumb to know what they have in that coach, they just assume "well we won I guess cuz McDavid" ... uh WRONG. All four series' the Oilers defensive adjustments basically won them 3/4 rounds and damn near led them to coming back in the Finals as well.

Last edited:

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Why is everyone so heated before the season even starts
download.jpeg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think enough time has passed since Game 7. That's my guess.

Too many people still don't understand what they watched in the playoffs. They think we made a Finals because "McDavid Magic!!!" and "super doooper offensive hockey!" when that's not the reality.

Look at every series ...

Kings series, Oilers playing poorly frankly through games 1 and 2, allowing way too many GA. Maybe Knoblaugh is in over his head. Adjustment made next 3 games, LA is shut down to 1.75 goals per game, Oilers cruise and win all three games.

That's COACHING ADJUSTMENTS.

Vancouver series, the Oilers losing 2-1 and 3-2 in this series, last 4 games defensive adjustments lead to Vancouver's offense being largely shut down to the tune of only averaging 2 goals/game in the last 4 games. In game 6 and 7 in particular, Vancouver barely had any scoring chances period, largely shut down until McLeod decides to be a dummy and just hand Vancouver a goal late in game 7 when they had *nothing* going.

That's COACHING ADJUSTMENTS.

Dallas series, Dallas winning 2-1 in the series, everyone saying "well that's it for the Oilers" since everyone picked Dallas to win. Instead the Oilers make defensive adjustments and shut down Dallas' offense, only 1.75 goals/game in the last 3 games ... Dallas loses every one of those games, Oilers win the series 4-2.

That's ... what ... do I even have to say it?

Florida series, down 0-3, Florida's offense shuts down to only 2 goals per game for the next 4 games, giving the Oilers a real chance of a miracle comeback. We almost get it done, holding Florida to 2 goals even in game 7, but unfortunately just no offensive juice in the tank with Draisaitl and Kane hurt.

People still want to think last spring was just "McDAVID tHO!" .... no it wasn't. As great as Connor was, we made the Finals because of defense, and not because of the d-corps ... because of the d system COACHING. Wake up to that reality and put some damn respect on Knoblaugh's name. He was the best coach in the league last year full stop.

He took a mediocre defensive team and with no real additions (Holland couldn't upgrade Ceci at the deadline even to save his life) turned them into a top 6 GA team in the regular season and then even better in the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That Kesserling trade still pisses me off.

Holland should've basically packed his shit after the Ekholm trade. Grandpa was toast after that.

Knoblaugh basically came in and saved everything and that was clearly a hire above Holland's head and then Holland couldn't even find an upgrade on Ceci at the deadline, so he was good for about f*** all by that point.

Knob/Coff still churned and turned that shit into a damn gourmet meal anyway and damn near won the Cup anyway with zero help to the back end and not even a big time bounce back kind of playoffs from Stuart Skinner either.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Our D was good before Knoblauch, it actually improved right around the time we graduated Desharnais to the NHL. Our D was terribly floundering and we were at risk of falling out of the playoffs before we brought in Woodcroft and he brought up Desharnais to play the PK for us. It was only like 2 years ago. Where were you? Ekholm also was a major stabilizing presence on the left side, and suddenly we could ice a solid handful of players that we could trust in the defensive zone.

I'm just going to quote this too because I vehemently disagree and think this shows precisely that many people don't even probably watch the games to give credit where credit is properly due.

No the D was not "good before Knoblaugh".

In 22-23 season, the Oilers weren't even in the top 9 in Western Conference for GA, two teams that missed the playoffs in Calgary and Nashville actually had a better GA than the Oilers. Overall the Oilers finished 22-23, 17th overall in goals against, technically in the bottom half of the league, which is an embarrassment for a so-called "contender" and mediocre.

In the 2023 playoffs the Oilers had the highest GA/game of any team outside of the first round, again that's not good (they did in 2022 as well).

To start the 2023-24 season, before Woodcroft was finally fired, I believe the Oilers were like 31st in the league for GA, only San Jose was worse.

This is not "good defense".

Knoblaugh/Coffey/Stuart are the reasons the Oilers improved massively because our front office did f*** all to help, couldn't even upgrade on Cody Ceci, had to settle for a forward in Adam Henrique who was hurt most of the playoffs.

And still the team went from like 2nd last in the league in GA to 6th best for the rest of the season, in the playoffs they allowed fewer GA than the champion Florida Panthers. This is the dictionary definition of a coaching change completely overhauling the defensive play of a team. It sure as f*** wasn't because of roster changes because our geriatric GM did nothing all year long.

Reactions: MessierII

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I wont be satisfied until Larsson, Eberle, Hall are back in fold and Brandon Manning for good measure.
Spooner!!!

The Oilers nearly lost to the Canucks last season. McDavid cry-yells and swears a bunch and the Oilers are suddenly unbeatable. Every locker room is like that when the stakes are that high. Talent and commitment win in the end. The Oilers could lose in the first round or win the Cup. They shouldn't be this heavily favored when the are so thin on D.
And goaltending and toughness and youth and speed.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yeah.

I really hated when the Oilers skipped on drafting Guenther too.

You going to cry about Eberle being named the captain of the Kraken next?
Tobias you never know how to take things less seriously? But go ahead and continue being a jerk to me. It's like you circled me out of everyone lol. I hope you enjoy it. I find it amusing as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad