Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Vegas Claims Raph Lavoie off Waivers, Everyone Else Cleared

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The development gap continues and remains to become a competent two-way player that can utilize size, reach and physical strength to evolve into a reliable bottom six NHL player. He's got an NHL shot with holes in game and mental approach that's been career limiting. The NHL onramp requires Lavoie to become a reliable, consistent every shift player with high motor. Lots of development growth needed still away from the glory zone and in mental approach to match NHL level job requirements.

A window phase team coming off a game 7 Cup run isn't going to wait upon that to happen with no clear roster opening and a team talking about critical need for a better start this season. All signs with their roster decisions and coach's straight forward media avails reinforce the roster construction and deployment will be stabilized to start this season. Just like when he took over a floundering team and first move was to lock in on a consistent roster and notably six d deployment. No way Knoblauch goes full blender early in season.

Now get to NHL twenty game mark if there's stalled team success or roster holes, it's easier to elevate guys like Philp and Lavoie who have been immersed in competitive big minutes and critical situational play.
I agree that the goal should be to develop a well rounded game in every prospect but Lavoie has one of the most rare skills which is he can put the puck in the net and it’s a skill that our top guys should be able to work with. So while I think you always want to try and develop well rounded players, sometimes you have to recognize that you’re not always going to turn every guy into that and some guys can still be effective despite being a bit one dimensional.

Especially in the case of Lavoie, maybe he finds a spot as a trigger man for Connor or Leon and sticks around longer term but I think with a player like him you’re better off trying to pump and dump. Put him in a position to have some success, gain some confidence and possibly build some value as a trade chip.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Yeah, veteran team. Assuming players can push on and handle roles above their shown ability in 3-4 AHL seasons seems silly. Our fanbase loves to overvalue prospects, but let's be real, not one of these guys was as acclaimed as a prospect as Matthew Savoie.

You want to blame drafting that's one thing, but by the time you get to RFA, you should be showing something at the NHL level. Broberg did in a small sample size in the playoffs, did Holloway or Lavoie?
Holloway more than Broberg.

The nhl is not a development league, past Christmas or so.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I agree that the goal should be to develop a well rounded game in every prospect but Lavoie has one of the most rare skills which is he can put the puck in the net and it’s a skill that our top guys should be able to work with. So while I think you always want to try and develop well rounded players, sometimes you have to recognize that you’re not always going to turn every guy into that and some guys can still be effective despite being a bit one dimensional.

Especially in the case of Lavoie, maybe he finds a spot as a trigger man for Connor or Leon and sticks around longer term but I think with a player like him you’re better off trying to pump and dump. Put him in a position to have some success, gain some confidence and possibly build some value as a trade chip.
Clearing waivers is a hard reality that his one elite skill isn't enough. His onboard path in Edmonton is to first establishing himself as a reliable, 200 foot player who leverages his size beyond shooting areas of the ice. This organization is not going to alter from its roster and deployment decisions to start an absolute white hot season in terms of expectations. Why I've suggested a Kostin type project trade might provide a new path that's not clogged with established veterans as the Oilers have prioritized.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

We Old, you know who "we" are out there.

I saw that Jett Luchanko, who made the Flyers out of camp, is born 2006-08-21.

So there's a player who will play NHL games this year born after the Oilers' '06 Cup run LOLz.

Slowly coming to terms with how if i took up intense hockey training today and went all in, my chances of making the NHL have dropped from 0.00001% 20 years ago to 0.0000000000000001% now. Basically odds that majority of the human population is wiped out.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The only hiccup at this point is if a team who finished higher than Vegas also put in a claim yesterday for him. Wouldn’t they get priority to add him to their roster (not the AHL) before it wraps back around to Edmonton?
Yes but I suspect that did not happen. Most teams above Vegas in teh pecking order have there own cap/roster issues to manage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad