Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Vegas Claims Raph Lavoie off Waivers, Everyone Else Cleared

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Our analysts have no idea what the Oilers are doing so this makes the situation just as confusing. So they aren't accuring cap anymore?
We are accruing cap space. LTIR only tanks that if you exceed the cap with it. Ira Cooper explains it quite well here

The Kane LTIR thing combined with the other cap hits is just more shenanigans to set the cap before the season. If I heard correctly it helps us perhaps with LTIR later. So first we have to spend the accrued space, and then we can spend Kane's

Edit: and the setting the LTIR is really dumb. It seems like to set the amount of LTIR we get from Kane we need to use all our cap space. That's because if we have 1 million in space then we would only have 4.125 million from Kane's LTIR because we'd have to use up the 1 million first. Using up the space sets Kane's LTIR hit at his full 5.125 aav. Then we send everyone down and have Kane's LTIR while having cap space that can start accruing

Last edited:

Thomas Tatar

Broberg, Holloway and Lavoie for a mid second an and mid third is some tidy asset management by Bowman and Jackson.
This is a bit disingenuous though. We also got Paul Fischer and another 3rd, plus we didn’t add >6 million in cap space which would have prevented us from signing guys like Skinner and Arvidsson, you know, the two top 6 wingers we clamoured for all last season for Draisaitl.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
4iwdq91avhv81.jpg

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
JJ’s reign of terror continues. Other than hiring Knoblauch, the Drai extension, and signing Arvidsson everything that has happened on his watch has been bad for the team.

Forward group is old and slow, and soft to boot. The defense is flawed. Hard to be excited for this season and the future when the up and coming youth has been gutted from this team under Jackson’s watch.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
JJ’s reign of terror continues. Other than hiring Knoblauch, the Drai extension, and signing Arvidsson everything that has happened on his watch has been bad for the team.

Forward group is old and slow, and soft to boot. The defense is flawed. Hard to be excited for this season and the future when the up and coming youth has been gutted from this team under Jackson’s watch.
It’s happy times for me. Watching rookies play is like watching paint dry.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
People really crying about Lavoie?
It's not about Lavoie per se, it's a larger issue of not valuing youth.
I'm not one to entirely blame management for the Broberg and Holloway offer sheets happening but when you're an old team with a weak pipeline as is then lose Broberg, Holloway, McLeod and Lavoie and only add Savoie and Podkolzin, you shrink your cup window and make it exceedingly difficult to build around the core because you don't have cheap young talent supplementing them and with the impending cap difficulties coming due to the obscene contracts to core players on the horizon, not to mention the Nurse gift that keeps on giving, it's going to be tough to find good support players. Not to mention a group that will be aging even further in the coming years.
Better win the Cup in the next few years because it's going to likely be a hard fall after that.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm not one to entirely blame management for the Broberg and Holloway offer sheets happening but when you're an old team with a weak pipeline as is then lose Broberg, Holloway, McLeod and Lavoie and only add Savoie and Podkolzin, you shrink your cup window and make it exceedingly difficult to build around the core because you don't have cheap young talent supplementing them and with the impending cap difficulties coming due to the obscene contracts to core players on the horizon, not to mention the Nurse gift that keeps on giving, it's going to be tough to find good support players. Not to mention a group that will be aging even further in the coming years.
Better win the Cup in the next few years because it's going to likely be a hard fall after that.
It's also just poor asset management, something that has plagued the Oilers for years.

Reactions: Jarvi

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We have played exactly zero games and Skinner is shitting the bed? lol.
He was shitting the bed in preseason games and clearly camp or else why would he be pushed down a line for the 1st game? Not saying he WILL continue that but he clearly didn't show well so far.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
It’s happy times for me. Watching rookies play is like watching paint dry.
Yeah, veteran team. Assuming players can push on and handle roles above their shown ability in 3-4 AHL seasons seems silly. Our fanbase loves to overvalue prospects, but let's be real, not one of these guys was as acclaimed as a prospect as Matthew Savoie.

You want to blame drafting that's one thing, but by the time you get to RFA, you should be showing something at the NHL level. Broberg did in a small sample size in the playoffs, did Holloway or Lavoie?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Well, other than Savoie, Jarventie, Philp, Pedersen or Caggiula...
Philp is a 4C, Savoie likely isn't NHL ready, Jarventie is injured (as he was with the Sens so no shocker there) and the other two aren't NHLers. The pipeline/organizational depth is largely a barren wasteland especially with NHL ready players.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

North

Jun 25, 2009
I understand this but ultimately Lavoie wasn’t going to move the needle for us in the role we needed him.

I can’t combine the three of them because ultimately it was separate situations that cost us them. Lavoie may end up back here simply because I don’t think he has the boots necessary to be an effective NHL player.

One thing this team will have to focus on is re-stocking the pipeline via college free agent signings, European free agents, and undrafted juniors.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Nucks did what Oilers didn't do. Got a 4th for Podz instead of losing him to waivers like the Oilers did with Lavoie and Lavoie looked like the best prospect we had at camp

Reactions: Jarvi

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think Philp outplayed Ryan. At worst he was at least equal.

Lavoie outplayed Perry.

But for whatever reason the organization or leadership core values vets over youth. Neither Perry or Ryan did much in the playoffs. These guys will be retired soon.

Arrogance, stubbornness or just dumb, I don’t know which. Its not like Lavoie/Philp are 18 years olds. Play the players you developed.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Lavoie outplayed Perry.

But for whatever reason the organization or leadership core values vets over youth. Neither Perry or Ryan did much in the playoffs. These guys will be retired soon.

Arrogance, stubbornness or just dumb, I don’t know which. Its not like Lavoie/Philp are 18 years olds. Play the players you developed.
My guess is Bowman probably didn't want to disrespect Ryan or Perry by putting them on waivers instead chose to take a chance on losing Lavoie

North

Jun 25, 2009

Lavoie outplayed Perry.

Lavoie was okay but also injury messed up his camp. I don’t know that he can be a bottom six player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad