Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Vegas Claims Raph Lavoie off Waivers, Everyone Else Cleared

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Overpaying D men by 3x their worth just because you drafted and developed them is a dumb strategy.
If they made a mistake with Broberg it was when they did not give him many opportunities in the past couple of years. If they thought he was a blue chip prospect and Desharnais was a fill-in for a year, they should have played Broberg, even if he would occasionally have bad games. Not paying him like a top 4 d-man is not a mistake. It's just the reality of being cap-strapped.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If they made a mistake with Broberg it was when they did not give him many opportunities in the past couple of years. If they thought he was a blue chip prospect and Desharnais was a fill-in for a year, they should have played Broberg, even if he would occasionally have bad games. Not paying him like a top 4 d-man is not a mistake. It's just the reality of being cap-strapped.
Broberg could've tried being better than Desharnais.

That would've helped him get a spot.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
You do realize that a player….has to sign the contract you offer them right? Broberg wanted out for a while now, he turned down an offered contract and waited.
Iam sure Broberg wasn't asking for 4.5 after the season. They weren't a priority. Jackson assumed they would get them on the cheap, so he went fishing. Serevalli wrote about it. And he was right.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Iam sure Broberg wasn't asking for 4.5 after the season. They weren't a priority. Jackson assumed they would get them on the cheap, so he went fishing. Serevalli wrote about it. And he was right.
Broberg was only worth the cheap. He played only a few good NHL games and his playoff stretch was analytically quite bad. No contender pays up in that situation for a guy like Broberg. They get a year to show that it wasn’t just a blip, and MOST guys like that will take it to prove their worth. But in this case Broberg didn’t want to be here.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Losing Lavoie to keep garbage players like Corey Perry because of muh experience is just another sign of poor strategic approach from the Oilers this offseason. Nickle and Dimed Holloway and Broberg despite them asking for less money than inferior players like Perry and Kulak, causing them to sign expensive offer sheets too.

• Haha
Reactions: Tobias Kahun

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Is it? What happened here to us has literally never happened before. Tons of RFAs better than both Holloway and Broberg get squeezed. Robertson as an example.
Not sure how old are you, but I am pretty sure certain guys named Kev and Brian almost rented a barn because back in 2008 Kevin took advantage of Brian's cap woes in this manner.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
A hot take…I don’t like our forward group as much as I thought I did.
The fact that because Skinner is shitting the bed the next best option in the top 6 is…Janmark, who 95% of his time is at 4th line level is…rough.
I mean it would be better if Kane was healthy but damn.
Our 4th line is outrageously old, hell our forward group is super old as it is.
Our top 5 is really good but I am now worried about the group as a hole cause we are one injury away from having to run Janmark- Draisaitl - Brown as a 2nd line.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The fact that because Skinner is shitting the bed the next best option in the top 6 is…Janmark, who 95% of his time is at 4th line level is…rough.
Our top 5 is really good but I am now worried about the group as a hole cause we are one injury away from having to run Janmark- Draisaitl - Brown as a 2nd line.
Savoie is an interesting call up option at least.

I refuse to write off veterans who didn't bring it in the preseason. I could see Jeff Skinner being a standout when it matters. The fact that Henrique looked off seals it for me. I know he's great.

The regular season will be how I decide on these guys

Edit: also I will add that I'm not convinced about the defense. Basically the RDs besides Bouchard don't have the tools. But if anything, the forward group at least has the goods. There might be some time to see who fits where best but the talent is undeniable

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

We have played exactly zero games and Skinner is shitting the bed? lol.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Losing Lavoie to keep garbage players like Corey Perry because of muh experience is just another sign of poor strategic approach from the Oilers this offseason. Nickle and Dimed Holloway and Broberg despite them asking for less money than inferior players like Perry and Kulak, causing them to sign expensive offer sheets too.
Kulak is miles better than Broberg right now.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Our analysts have no idea what the Oilers are doing so this makes the situation just as confusing. So they aren't accuring cap anymore?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad