Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Vegas Claims Raph Lavoie off Waivers, Everyone Else Cleared

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Stauffer just said he doesn’t expect the lineup to be the same on opening night as it is right now. And he doesn’t expect the lineup from that night to be the same before the deadline

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Possibly both. They may get as close to the ceiling as possible, then LTIR Kane before sending Wright and Savoie back. This just gives them flexibility while still being able to accrue cap space.
Is this the best way to get as much flexibility as possible at the deadline?

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Vegas is the poster child for not focusing on the future, but solely the here and now. Not a complete shock they claimed two players off waivers, their forward group is pretty bad.

They for sure don’t focus on prospects. But they are always doing whatever to make themselves better.

They will cut whoever if it makes them better. Meanwhile the Oilers don’t want to cut Ryan/Perry because reasons.

Reactions: Duke74

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Is this the best way to get as much flexibility as possible at the deadline?
Yes. The Oilers know that they will probably have to use LTIR at some point in the season because of injuries. At that point their new ceiling is set. Depending on how things play out it could be a fair bit less than the full cap. By doing it this way they ensure that they will retain the ability to accrue as much space as possible when they are not in need of actually using the LTIR.

The Wright contract is actually a sign that someone in management is actually aware of the rules. This has not always been obvious with the Oilers.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
They better get their top 4 RD with term or this whole exercise has been a disaster.
I agree. I wonder if they have an idea on who they want down the line, maybe have a strong belief that they can get him, and maybe that’s why they are making all these specific moves

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It is nice to see that somebody in the Oiler system knows how to maximize the LTIR benefit.

Vegas did pretty well in playing these rules so its good that the Oilers follow suit.

Reactions: La Bamba and Duke74

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I agree. I wonder if they have an idea on who they want down the line, maybe have a strong belief that they can get him, and maybe that’s why they are making all these specific moves
These moves are more for if there's some injuries along the way and they need to use LTIR. With Kane returning at some point during the season, they can't use it to bring in any big fish at RD.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
If I understand the system correctly, as soon as Kane returns then his salary has to be added back in.

LTIR is used essentially as "temporary relief?"

North

Jun 25, 2009
They for sure don’t focus on prospects. But they are always doing whatever to make themselves better.

They will cut whoever if it makes them better. Meanwhile the Oilers don’t want to cut Ryan/Perry because reasons.
I’m not sure why Ryan is getting lumped in here. Is it just because of age?

Ryan had a good camp and does things that make him useful like pk.

Perry is not as effective as he once was but it’s clear they want him in the room.

Reactions: K1984

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
yet if the offersheets were matched we all know you'd be complaining about management putting us in cap hell.
That's correct. I would be complaining about overpaying the duo. Make no mistake about it.

No other team got offersheeted. Oilers got offersheeted twice.

St. Louis now overpays two young players, directly off of their ELC contracts, who have yet to fully prove themselves at the NHL level.

That's a Bettman game.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I thought LTIR days were over. I never bothered to learn how it works too deeply. How much cap space are we looking at? Someone earlier said 6.8 mil? Is that what we’d have in like March after it’s accrued?

Man I just want that freaking RD already, it just looks bad on paper. But maybe it’s the time to just be patient, nobody wants a bad start like last season but Knoblauch and his coaches got us out of hell before, I don’t see it happening again. Hopefully they work their magic with Emberson and Stecher/Dermott can be serviceable until we make a move for a dman.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Stauffer just said he doesn’t expect the lineup to be the same on opening night as it is right now. And he doesn’t expect the lineup from that night to be the same before the deadline
...then he let out a tremendous fart that sent the villagers scurrying aimlessly

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Losing Lavoie stings. Had a feeling he would get picked up after a decent preseason. The Oilers management should remember that we have a bullseye on us. Other teams will look to screw us every chance they get

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm not happy at all that Lavoie got claimed. One of our few forwards with a shot that can bet goalies clean and good size. He in essence screwed himself last year because of the contract that he signed, but this year I have to think that we botched the situation by making sure that we have the 2 gray beards in the lineup everyday.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
But Kane wont be back in for between 6 to 8 months depending on the source
Understood but I wonder if the medical staff can really forecast this.

Its still good to have some flexibility but I don't expect the Oilers to go out and add a 5M+ d-man even if they could use one.

Once Wright and Savoie are sent down then its about 6.3M cap space?

North

Jun 25, 2009
I'm not happy at all that Lavoie got claimed. One of our few forwards with a shot that can bet goalies clean and good size. He in essence screwed himself last year because of the contract that he signed, but this year I have to think that we botched the situation by making sure that we have the 2 gray beards in the lineup everyday.
The thing is Ryan is useful and did have a good camp.

We keep Lavoie over Perry in the bottom six I’m not sure how much of a net positive it would be.

Lavoie and Perry are both slow. I’m not sure Lavoie would have much opportunity to showcase his shot in the bottom six.

Ad

Ad

Ad