Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Vegas Claims Raph Lavoie off Waivers, Everyone Else Cleared

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
All these moves are the ones that ensure the Oilers have the most cap flexibility throughout the season. That remains goal on every move management makes. Lavoie, McLeod, Broberg, and Holloway are the immediate casualties.

One can disagree with the concept, but if the team holds a playoff spot all season and uses double retention to snag 1-2 impact players at the deadline then I imagine Bowman/Jackson consider that a win.
All the youngest players in the system moved out for cap flexibility, I'm a believer.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Nice little pay day for Wright. I'm guessing $80k is a bit more than he was making on his AHL deal.

It kind of sucks that his NHL salary is so high now. He seems like a guy who just keeps getting better. I don't think he's too far off call-up territory. Especially with the RW depth in the form of Lavoie gone.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Problem is I and quite a few others would argue that he DID earn a spot - he definitely outplayed Perry in camp and arguably Podkolzin as well (and Skinner, but that's not a fair comparison, Lavoie was never going to take Skinner's spot).
He may have outplayed them offensively 5x5 but that’s not only what those players are here for.

The Oilers are not a middle tier team anymore trying to squeeze as many regular season goals as possible from the roster, there are postseason roles that have importance and if a young player is going to supplant a veteran, he needs to show he can handle those roles, Lavoie didn’t in a short cup of coffee in the bigs, 4 years in the AHL and a couple of training camps.

As much as of some of our fans want speed and 4 scoring lines that is not how this veteran team one win away from a cup is built.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Please tell me this is sarcasm, and I'm just not picking up on it.
It's not sarcasm but exaggeration.

The team will have to be carried by McDavid and PP again.
Not sold on Skinner esp behind this defense. Pickard isn't even healthy and Rodrigue is useless. 2nd line still stinks and there isn't much on bottom 6.

So are we gonna accrue cap space or do the LTIR route?
Would be funny if we now LTIR Kane after losing Lavoie to waivers.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
2.2M for Holloway was nothing.. maybe 500K overpayment.. we even had the cap space.. I think we passed up because we soured on the player for his selfishness.
Probably. It is what it is. It’s over with. Time to move on.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
They're kind of set up to do either now.

They can go over the cap by Kane's full cap hit or drop some bodies and accrue cap space.
I don't think overpaying Wright is accidental. I believe they wanted to maximize their LTIR space.

Tomorrow they send Wright and Savoie down and LTIR Kane and suddenly they have 6.8 million to play with.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't think overpaying Wright is accidental. I believe they wanted to maximize their LTIR space.

Tomorrow they send Wright and Savoie down and LTIR Kane and suddenly they have 6.8 million to play with.
It isn't an accident, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're going to use LTIR. Doing it now just means they can maximize the LTIR pool if they do decide to use it. It'd be tougher to get within $53 of the cap if they decided to do it later.

They can still accrue cap space like normal(well, minus $53) with the moves too.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
yet if the offersheets were matched we all know you'd be complaining about management putting us in cap hell.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

In the case of Broberg. All reports are it was his agent who orchestrated the offer sheet because Broberg wanted out of Edmonton. Last year there was just so much reported. Back in December the report from his agent said the oilers had granted him permission to seek a trade which the oiler debunked right away. There was some sort of conflict between the oilers and Broberg. We do not have the complete story

Halloway hurts.

Lavoie? We do not know what we lost. Some think we lost a top 6 guy while others think we lost a fringe player.

Time will tell

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I mean it's 2 days before the season/home opener, so things are probably already over, right?

They know this, no one is unaware.
You're right. I just wonder if they have the trade capital to get it done. The cupboards are bare outside of Savoie and they aren't moving anyone off of this roster. A rental won't cut it for me considering what has been sacrificed.

Ad

Ad

Ad