Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Vegas Claims Raph Lavoie off Waivers, Everyone Else Cleared

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Lavoie had a lot of chances to earn a spot. He is a classic one trick pony. He has a great shot, but this team has plenty of what he offers: 97, 29, 18, 93, Bouchard, Arvidsson, Skinner, Kane (when healthy), Henrique...

I expect him to be waived by Vegas eventually. He will be an excellent player in Sweden or the Swiss league someday.
Problem is I and quite a few others would argue that he DID earn a spot - he definitely outplayed Perry in camp and arguably Podkolzin as well (and Skinner, but that's not a fair comparison, Lavoie was never going to take Skinner's spot).

Last edited:

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I figured someone would claim Lavoie but of course it had to be Vegas. I’m sure he’ll get a chance and look good too.
I knew he wouldn’t clear waivers. Apparently the management didn’t learn from the double offer sheet fiasco and seem content to continue pissing away young, cheap talent.

Reactions: ujju2

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I’m actually curious to hear your thoughts on why you think it was a regrettable decision.
Sure. We’ve lost a lot of prospects this summer. Holloway, Broberg and a couple years ago we lost Kesselring. They’re all NHL players now and some pretty good ones. Lavoie had a great camp and seems NHL ready. He had some very good games and he played good with Leon. Losing more young prospects with decent ceilings is never a good thing.

We at least have Savoie and Jarventie. But giving up a prospect for nothing doesn’t seem like good thing. It may come back to bite us because Lavoie has good potential. Is that sufficient for you?

Plus we have only 12 forwards. We could’ve kept up Lavoie as a 13th forward couldn’t we?

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
If he wasn't 24 I'd be upset, I bet he can score 10 goals at the NHL level if he's not on the 4th line.
I thought he had a good camp, but at this point he is what he is I think.

That said, Lavoie with the GWG next game vs Vegas. Calling it now.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
When our best option is Savoie, and not a knock on him, that's scary.

Savoie is the best scoring option for a call up, but all of Hamblin, Caggiula, Peterson and Philp can easily play in the NHL in bottom 6 roles.

There aren't a lot of teams in a compete window that have more than 1 or 2 sexy call up options (if that). Everyone here is acting as though the Oilers are the only competing team that isn't loaded with AHL call up depth. Most of the others have 1 player that fits the profile. Maybe.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Sure. We’ve lost a lot of prospects this summer. Holloway, Broberg and a couple years ago we lost Kesselring. They’re all NHL players now and some pretty good ones. Lavoie had a great camp and seems NHL ready. He had some very good games and he played good with Leon. Losing more young prospects with decent ceilings is never a good thing.

We at least have Savoie and Jarventie. But giving up a prospect for nothing doesn’t seem like good thing. It may come back to bite us because Lavoie has good potential. Is that sufficient for you?

Plus we have only 12 forwards. We could’ve kept up Lavoie as a 13th forward couldn’t we?
Kesselring doesnt crack a line up that isn’t Arizona, he’s a josh brown level player. you’ll see him crash and burn this year. Broberg and Holloway were lost because their value doesnt equal what they bring to the table and lavoie was waived because he wasn’t good enough for the nhl roster.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Sure, but at the end of the day its kind of meaningless. Our team had 2 spots for grabs and Lavoie didnt make it.

At this point of our curve i dont give a shit about where the players drafted or when.

No shit. What should we have been doing the past few years? Hyper focus on drafting so that we can say we have more drafted players in the lineup? At this point, where this team is at in its cycle - who the f*** cares?

This is also in the context where management made a concerted effort to get more young players with real potential in the system, and they did that. Whining about past sins of prior management is a waste of energy.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Huh. Wonder why we brought Savoie back up? Why not Philp?
Basically, long story short. Savoie has Bonuses on his contract so if he is up day 1, you can use LTIR more effectively than if he was brought up AFTER the team is in LTIR. Its some weird cap manuevering. Like technically Kane will be placed on LTIR but the team will not be using any of the space cause we don't need it. BUT if Savoie was to be recalled after we are in LTIR then his contract+bonuses get allied to the cap calcualation, but if he is on the roster for even a day before that happens, only his actual salary is applied.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Huh. Wonder why we brought Savoie back up? Why not Philp?
Personally I'd keep both in the AHL.

Philp as he hasn't played in over a year and playing in the AHL would test his conditioning given the minutes he'd get there vs here.

And Savoie I think needs to play lots too so I'd keep him down until injuries open up a spot

Basically, long story short. Savoie has Bonuses on his contract so if he is up day 1, you can use LTIR more effectively than if he was brought up AFTER the team is in LTIR. Its some weird cap manuevering. Like technically Kane will be placed on LTIR but the team will not be using any of the space cause we don't need it. BUT if Savoie was to be recalled after we are in LTIR then his contract+bonuses get allied to the cap calcualation, but if he is on the roster for even a day before that happens, only his actual salary is applied.
Ah yes, forgot about that.

ConnorNova0929

Feb 25, 2023
The oddly specific AAV for Wright makes me think it’s also a cap maneuvering move where he’s going to be on the season opening roster to get them as close to the cap ceiling as possible.

Ya and Stauffer just tweeted that he wouldn't be surprised if Kane ends up on LTIR to start the season. If that happens then my guess is the Oil will be adding a player via trade.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The oddly specific AAV for Wright makes me think it’s also a cap maneuvering move where he’s going to be on the season opening roster to get them as close to the cap ceiling as possible.
Interesting, might be right as it does seem a bit high too given his past results

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad