Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Rainman Edition "I'm an Excellent Driver" Read OP and Watch Video For Educational Purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Katz at this point is likely more interested in Franchise Valuation more than anything. A new GM depending on who it is ...could quite easily sway that answer.
Lets take a look....Carolina changed course 7 or 8 years ago, Florida more recently, Montreal is in the throws right now.
You may be right ...it depends on who the new GM is and it depends on how we do next spring and depends on players outlooks etc. etc......the point being the point you make above is far from etched in stone.

McDavid/Draisaitl are the main reason the Oilers have a sky high franchise valuation.

You guys actually have it backwards ... "winning" doesn't actually increase the value of a franchise that much, having the marquee players does more than that.

Any version of the Oilers with McDavid on it will be worth more than any version that doesn't have McDavid, and if you don't have Draisaitl you don't have McDavid.

Pretty much about as simple as that.

German athletes tend to be a lot lower maintenance too and I get the same sense from Leon. Dirk Nowitzki in the NBA played his entire career in Dallas even when there was a lot of talk on him ditching that team to go play for a higher profile market like the Lakers or Knicks. He never wanted to do that.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Katz at this point is likely more interested in Franchise Valuation more than anything. A new GM depending on who it is ...could quite easily sway that answer.
Lets take a look....Carolina changed course 7 or 8 years ago, Florida more recently, Montreal is in the throws right now.
You may be right ...it depends on who the new GM is and it depends on how we do next spring and depends on players outlooks etc. etc......the point being the point you make above is far from etched in stone.

I think Katz personally is more a super fan then you are giving him credit for being(this has actually been a problem at times historically), but even if you're right you're still wrong about how this would be handled.

Losing McDavid is the simplest and easiest way to crater the value of the Franchise. Nothing influencing the chance of that even slightly that the organization can control will be allowed to happen under any circumstances, for explicitly the reason you stated.

Reactions: capazzo

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Katz personally is more a super fan then you are giving him credit for being(this has actually been a problem at times historically), but even if you're right you're still wrong about how this would be handled.

Losing McDavid is the simplest and easiest way to crater the value of the Franchise. Nothing influencing the chance of that even slightly that the organization can control will be allowed to happen under any circumstances, for explicitly the reason you stated.

Without McDavid the Oilers would go from a 1.2 billion+ valuation to $700-800 million or something like that overnight no doubt about it.

Reactions: oXo Cube

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

I agree ....certainly McDavid would crater valuations.
Were not discussing Connor ...were discussing Leon.
A new GM certain could sway the owner ....if we lose next spring with the ideas of winning without Leon.
No Connor is not tied at the hip with Leon. Perhaps the opposite lol.
Connor will want to win.
Its an easy argument to make ....scoring vs defense ...cap dollars ....two line team only ....Draisaitl's line giving up as much as he scores....Draisaitl worth more than two handfuls of gold to another franchise and on and on.

Face your fears....
Scan out a few possible destinations and a few possible trades....lol....or close your minds and play ostrich...."Its inconceivable".

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree ....certainly McDavid would crater valuations.
Were not discussing Connor ...were discussing Leon.
A new GM certain could sway the owner ....if we lose next spring with the ideas of winning without Leon.
No Connor is not tied at the hip with Leon. Perhaps the opposite lol.

They are a package deal. Their girlfriends even vacation together.

They're basically family. There is no McDavid extension without a Draisaitl one, spin it anyway you want, but that's the bottom line.

Each is also the biggest draw to stay in Edmonton for the other, McDavid is not going to find many teams with a Draisaitl level player for him to play with. Leon has 0 options out there for a team that has a McDavid on it.

Reactions: mkatcherin00

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Why does the players union want their players to set new standards for their members to negotiate against? Especially when the cap will be 10-15% higher when those salaries kick in that the current flat cap environment every current contract is signed in?

Come on, dude. We've heard that the PA has given static to players taking discounts in the past. They're gonna want to the best player in the generation to set a new standard so their other top members can argue for 12-13 million and not 10 million. And I know that theoretically takes from their lower end earners, but actually, at this stage, those guys get paid by teams who don't have top end talent. Gudas couldn't get 4M from a good team but he could get it from ANA.

Because both MacKinnon and Draisaitl could get more than 12.8M in free agency. Because MacKinnon signed three months after winning a Stanley Cup. Because if Draisaitl had the same salary as MacKinnon this coming year, he'd make almost a million dollars less due to tax differences. Because MacKinnon's 12.8M was 15.5% of the cap when it was signed, and 15.5% of the cap when Draisaitl's contract kicks in is going to be like 14.2 million?

Because Edmonton is going to pay a price for being Edmonton as it always has.

It's not an insult to be paid 13 million f***ing dollars, no.

But Leon is in the driving seat here and his reps know it. He's lost maybe 25-30 million dollars on his current deal in value versus production and his reps know it. If he takes the MacKinnon contract, it's him leaving millions on the table. That is CHARITY.

The idea that players, who have 20-year earnings windows most of the time, should take discounts for a third of their careers because of loyalty, or because it helps the team or whatever is something fans need to get over. You wouldn't take 15% less money to stay at your job out of loyalty and if you would, you're a dummy. And I know you're not a dummy Fourier.

I can not foresee a scenario in which Draisaitl doesn't become the highest-paid player in the NHL, which by all accounts is 13.5 or more after Matthews signs - and McDavid beats that at least a million or two.
You’re aware there’s a salary cap right?

Pushing up stars AAV’s just takes money out of other union members pockets.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
no really though---either a guy committed willful perjury as a middle aged seemingly intelligent career bureaucrat/intelligence officer or he testified there are aliens......or something worse.

Don’t get me me wrong, I am a lover of everything space. I am a amateur astrophotographer and almost fell into a coma diving head first into this yesterday but I am very sceptical when it comes to ET. UFO…sure…….non human pilot I’m leaning dog, cat, monkey, rats…….but if Mr.Grush is speaking of interstellar beings visiting our planet I believe he may have willfully committed perjury. Either way interesting to read and watch.
:cheers:

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
They are a package deal. Their girlfriends even vacation together.

They're basically family. There is no McDavid extension without a Draisaitl one, spin it anyway you want, but that's the bottom line.

Each is also the biggest draw to stay in Edmonton for the other, McDavid is not going to find many teams with a Draisaitl level player for him to play with. Leon has 0 options out there for a team that has a McDavid on it.
...I hate to move on...but we are professionals...it hurts to go....but the opportunites for me and my family etc etc....We will stay in contact....
How many times have you heard this.?
They are not a package deal and Agents have a say and Andy certainly will have his.
Leon may want to win and frustrated hear knowing the cap for himself and Connor is too much and he can max somewhere else and still have a chance maybe a better chance to win.
We all know if both Connor and Leon want substantial raise to the tune or 30 plus million between the two ...it will limit Edmonton to a toronto like problem and we wont have the latitude Toronto will receive from the league.
Connor and Leon likely have this discussion between themselves next spring.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The oilers value is a function not of winning or the players, it is having a city build you an arena from which you get all the revenue for everything on a hilarious sweet heart deal and almost none of the liability of owning a large piece of infrastructure.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
...I hate to move on...but we are professionals...it hurts to go....but the opportunites for me and my family etc etc....We will stay in contact....
How many times have you heard this.?
They are not a package deal and Agents have a say and Andy certainly will have his.
Leon may want to win and frustrated hear knowing the cap for himself and Connor is too much and he can max somewhere else and still have a chance maybe a better chance to win.
We all know if both Connor and Leon want substantial raise to the tune or 30 plus million between the two ...it will limit Edmonton to a toronto like problem and we wont have the latitude Toronto will receive from the league.

They are a package deal because I don't see a situation in which McDavid will stay without Draisaitl here.

So therefor, Draisaitl has to be signed (even if you would want to do that anyway).

Leon is not going to have a better chance to win elsewhere AND still get paid like $16 million a year or something ridiculous.

The Oilers can also out leverage teams, even if a team offered Draisaitl 16 million/year, we can offer the same dollar amount at a lower cap hit (14 mill cap hit for us) because of the 8th year which other teams can't match AND we have McDavid.

No other team can offer that.

If they want 30 million, they'll get 30 million here, that's not an issue.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Where is all this Leon wants to go elsewhere coming from? I believe his exact quote was were are not going to give up ever. Sounds like a guy that wants to win and wants to win here

From nothing. People are just bored in the summer and there's always that "I'm a super smart mock GM, how about we trade Draisaitl for 2 Ryan Smyths!" guy who thinks he's a genius.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

Historically Katz was a super fan.....maybe this has leaned out at this point though...
How much actual time does Katz spend in the city these days.
Maybe we can see that his interests have broadened and continue to do so in the last 6 to 8 years.
Maybe also he has learned not to be so invested in the day to day decisions when it comes to players ...

Where is all this Leon wants to go elsewhere coming from? I believe his exact quote was were are not going to give up ever. Sounds like a guy that wants to win and wants to win here
Maybe ...that attitude persists....
Maybe a new GM has ideas.
Maybe Leons' agent has some ideas.
Probably Leon stays....maybe he doesn't.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Without McDavid the Oilers would go from a 1.2 billion+ valuation to $700-800 million or something like that overnight no doubt about it.
not just that, katz owns property in and around the arena, sell outs make that area and businesses catered to game days is very lucrative

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
From nothing. People are just bored in the summer and there's always that "I'm a super smart mock GM, how about we trade Draisaitl for 2 Ryan Smyths!" guy who thinks he's a genius.
IMG_2742.jpeg

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There is an absolutely zero chance Edmonton ends up better in the short term after a Draisaitl trade when you take his impact and cap hit into account. My brain automatically turns off anytime I see it even suggested.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
There is an absolutely zero chance Edmonton ends up better in the short term after a Draisaitl trade when you take his impact and cap hit into account. My brain automatically turns off anytime I see it even suggested.

"He gives up as much as he scores!"

Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Take his shot off our PP and it would instantly go from best of all time to simply just "good" (that's if we're lucky).

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I’ve been pretty open with my thoughts on the big two re-signing here so I won’t go into that. But beyond that I completely agree, it’s almost impossible to come up with a realistic trade that sees the Oilers land enough assets to even come out ahead in the long term as well. No team is going to give up an all star defenseman plus a high impact forward for the chance to extend Drai on a monster deal. He likely won’t want to go to a rebuilding team so that nixes the idea of acquiring a bunch of top end draft picks to flip because it makes more sense for a rebuilding team to keep those picks and establish depth. Like I legitimately can’t come up with anything realistic that sees the Oilers actually markedly improve after dealing him.

It’s ride or die with these two guys, and if they end up not wanting to stay in Edmonton it signals a complete tear down where you trade both of McDrai for a shit ton of picks and prospects and start from scratch basically.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Most high-profile free agents like McDavid and Draisaitl stay with their original teams through their entire primes.

The only real names that came up that did depart via FA were: Tavares, Pietrangelo, Gaborik.

Stamkos stayed. Crosby and Malkin stayed. Ovechkin stayed.

Guys, it’s July. Go outside and enjoy the warm weather. No sense in getting all riled up about something that may or may not happen.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
So Draisaitl didn't get owned by Vegas...by Eichel?
Draisaitl's defensive shortcomings weren't on full view?
You do realize Connor and Leon have probably discussed the future where they are both asking for more money and how that impacts the team. For sure Leon's agent has discussed with him about leading his own team--be a bad agent if he didn't.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Actually in the end i think Leon stays ...not because of the reasons you would think.....its not about the Oil winning ...its about the entertainment value and the yearly income. Leon will get a substantial payday and he will stay .....and the team wont have enough to really fill out the bottom six and D properly--unless we hit on some draft choices. If we don't we don't win.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
McDavid/Draisaitl are the main reason the Oilers have a sky high franchise valuation.

You guys actually have it backwards ... "winning" doesn't actually increase the value of a franchise that much, having the marquee players does more than that.

Any version of the Oilers with McDavid on it will be worth more than any version that doesn't have McDavid, and if you don't have Draisaitl you don't have McDavid.

Pretty much about as simple as that.

German athletes tend to be a lot lower maintenance too and I get the same sense from Leon. Dirk Nowitzki in the NBA played his entire career in Dallas even when there was a lot of talk on him ditching that team to go play for a higher profile market like the Lakers or Knicks. He never wanted to do that.
I think the value of the franchise has doubled since we drafted Mcdavid. Watch how much the Blackhawks value will increase if Bedard ends up being generational.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad