Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Drake 08072024124551.jpg

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
At 14M per, he'd be making about 15% of the Cap in 2025-2026.

Connor McDavid made 15% of the cap this year on a deal that underpays him by 3M or more based on value per point, based on a deal he signed in 2016. Draisaitl is #5 in all-time playoff PPG.

You want to pretend we're not a disadvantaged market because a few midrange players took discounts short-term for a chance at the Cup? Great. But a guy who has a chance to be one of the best European players ever in the NHL isn't going to look off his last decade of earning potential for Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Your perspective, if shared by the Oilers, could cost them the next 10 years. For what? A chance at a million dollars in cap savings?
So you think Drai, who has spent his entire career here with core members that are close friends of his and is well entrenched in the community and with the market after just about winning a Cup last season, will only stay in Edmonton if they pay him the most money possible and will be willing to take less elsewhere because it's warmer or something?
Is this what you mean by disadvantaged market that Drai will only stay in this undesirable location because of money and not because he actually prefers to stay in the location where he's spent his entire adult life?

The fact of the matter is that Drai can be here where by all accounts he's happy, take a bit of a pay cut still getting obscene amounts of stacks and create just a bit of flexibility for his team to compete for Cups.
Of course he has every right to squeeze as much out of the market as he desires but I don't see any reason why he couldn't take a bit of a pay cut to help the team that he wants to win with. He could get 8 years $13m/yr and still be well off.
I bet that McDavid will because he's leagues above everybody else and get the max if he wants but he'll likely settle in the $15m range which will be a big pay cut.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Talks about his speed as a weapon, high IQ, attacking off the rush, competing in all areas of the ice as a 200 foot guy. f***ing happy about this pickup and really hoping he ends up killing it in BAK and forces them to bring him up. Maybe even gets his 10 game trial at the beginning to see, who knows.

Also liked his attitude about doing what's best for his development, playing a lot. Not afraid of a stint in BAK.. proper part of the development curve for most kids who are not no. 1 OA picks.

Reactions: McDoused

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
There are actually not a lot of loopholes for pro athletes and the argument that being paid in US dollars while living in Canada is a 30% raise doesn’t hold water when you consider everything is a lot more expensive here than the US.
This isn't true on everything. I guarantee buying a house in NY, LA and other big American city is much more than buying a house in Edmonton. Housing is your biggest purchase. Gas and every day things may be more but housing cost more than makes up for the difference.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
With his fandom, Savoie also confirmed to be Oiler for Life type player. We need to do everything we can to ensure he turns out. Whatever is best for his development. There is immense value if he hits. Be patient with him and ensure he’s fully developed before throwing his shoulders into the NHL.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Where are you getting 50% from?

Every agent assures us players with a half decent accountant are paying pennies on the dollar
You are correct. Players are incorporated entities in Canada so they pay less taxes (like a ridiculous amount). They also have other provisions and tax deferral methodology. Being paid bonus money upfront is also beneficial (hence why McDavid’s contract is set up the way it is). When Stauffer yaps on and on about taxes- he really has no clue what he is talking about.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bourgault is too high on that list. But I don’t mind Bob pumping the tires publically.

Speaking of XB. With O Reilly and Savoie in the picture. Might be time to explore an XB trade. I don’t think he will be better than either of these guys, he becomes a bit of an odd man out. There will be only so many spots for young forwards moving forward.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I always liked Bourgault, he's a shifty, smart player. But he has not developed well down in BAK and further to that there were rumours his conditioning was poor. If they can move on from him or package him up with Ceci to upgrade with a younger, cost controlled RD who can come in and fill those middle pairing minutes.. great.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
How is Matheson still around? The game and the players have long passed by this dinosaur. Boomers man.. always finding a way to stick around when they're not wanted. As usual too, in the scrum with Savoie, asked the stupidest questions around.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't like Bourgault's progression much, so I'd knock him down to #8 and bump everyone up one from there. I might flip Rodrigue and Philp as well, but that's probably because I haven't seen as much of Philp.

It will be interesting to see this list again at the mid point of the year. To see if guys like Grubbe have progressed at all.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I always liked Bourgault, he's a shifty, smart player. But he has not developed well down in BAK and further to that there were rumours his conditioning was poor. If they can move on from him or package him up with Ceci to upgrade with a younger, cost controlled RD who can come in and fill those middle pairing minutes.. great.

When has it been indicated his conditioning is poor? I always got impression he was a bit of a rink rat. His development kind of baffles me though.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Bourgault would not be in my top 5. And we better win a cup soon, that prospect depth is awful.
Well, they just graduated their top two guys so when you look at it as Broberg, Holloway, Savoie, O'Reilly, Akey, Wanner, Rodrigue, it looks a lot better. Still not a top half of the league prospect pool but which legit contender is?

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad