Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'm a little foggy on the specifics here, but could a player on a one way deal be waived for assignment to Bakersfield, not actually report to Bakersfield, then be "called up" at a later point? I want to say that there is a time limit on how long a player can wait before reporting to the minors, but I am not sure.

Thinking for Perry it could be an avenue to "send him down" without actually making him report and play in the AHL for periods of time.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm a little foggy on the specifics here, but could a player on a one way deal be waived for assignment to Bakersfield, not actually report to Bakersfield, then be "called up" at a later point? I want to say that there is a time limit on how long a player can wait before reporting to the minors, but I am not sure.

Thinking for Perry it could be an avenue to "send him down" without actually making him report and play in the AHL for periods of time.
1-way v. 2-way, is just the amount of money they're paid in the AHL. 1-way full freight either way. 2-way they get a different salary in the minors.

Reactions: McDoused

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge

I'm 99% sure with did this with Gryba before we bought him out. We waived him but he didn't have to report to the farm team and continued to practice with the Oilers.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Unfortunately for the rich its no were near 50 percemt tax rate. They have loop holes through the ying yangs. Let's not forget paid in US dollars while.having cad dollar expenses thats a 30 percent raise in it self

But i expect drai to becime the highest paid player with this nee contract. Im hopeing for 13.29 per 8 years lolol and mcdavid the following year comes in at 13.97one can dream lolol.
There are actually not a lot of loopholes for pro athletes and the argument that being paid in US dollars while living in Canada is a 30% raise doesn’t hold water when you consider everything is a lot more expensive here than the US.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
He needs to get paid. He has maybe an 8 year window at his highest earning potential moving forward. This is a 50% income tax mamarket
Where are you getting 50% from?

Every agent assures us players with a half decent accountant are paying pennies on the dollar

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
1-way v. 2-way, is just the amount of money they're paid in the AHL. 1-way full freight either way. 2-way they get a different salary in the minors.

I get all this, but more asking if there is a time limit on how long a player that can be waived can sit in purgatory without reporting to the AHL.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I get all this, but more asking if there is a time limit on how long a player that can be waived can sit in purgatory without reporting to the AHL.
Hmm, I think it's like 2 weeks or like 8 games, so like if they clear waivers, but don't actually get send down, that's the clock I believe.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I’m probably in the minority here but I wouldn’t trade Ceci unless they have a replacement lined up.
Fully with you there.

Broberg showed great, and I've always been a supporter, but he has to snatch that spot out of camp, clear cut. Hoping he does and having no real replacement is peak DoD Oilers.

Which seems to be what JJ is quickly moving away from.

Reactions: Cloned

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
With St. Louis weak at LW and strong at RD with 7+M in cap still. Think they would entertain Parayko for Kane + Ceci pending movement clauses were waived

Edit: they also have Faulk and Krug as RHD. So this is an area of surplus for them.
Parayko is still their best, heavy minute defenseman. He fills a massive role with St. Louis, and I have to think they'd want actual value back for him.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Lavoie has to have the best camp of his career this coming season imo, and there really hasn't been a better opportunity for a player like him to make this team in a sheltered role while still playing with some actual talent. If he's ever going to be an NHLer, it starts with this offseason which I assume played a role in him taking the minimum contract, and removing any barriers between himself and a roster spot outside of his on ice performance.

I've been begging for a one shot RH scoring winger with some size to play with Drai or Mcdavid since they got drafted, so I probably have a bit of a bias towards Lavoie but I think if he can really focus on his skating this offseason, he might have the inside edge on Savoie due to Savoie being waiver exempt, and still on his ELC for 3 more seasons. Not to mention Lavoie is more familiar with the org/players, and has 3 full seasons of playing pro hockey in the AHL.

I imagine the opening forward roster looking something like:

Holloway Mcdavid Hyman
Arvidsson Drai Skinner
Nuge Henrique Lavoie/Savoie
Hamblin Janmark Brown
Perry/Ryan

*Kane on IR to start

These two should be salivating at that third line RW spot, as whoever takes it has the inside track to replace Skinner the season after imo which is another reason I think Lavoie should be extra motivated, as I doubt he's going to get much of an NHL look after this contract without either establishing himself as a full timer this year, or having an absolute monster AHL season.

Either way, I'm hoping the competition for the spot brings the best out in both of them, as value contracts are going to become increasingly important once we resign Drai.
I mentioned on the last page I think Lavoie could pair well with Draisaitl but even in your configuration playing bottom 6 comp with guys like Henrique and RNH is a prime opportunity for a player like him.

What an absolutely embarrassment of riches we have up front. We have the horses to essentially make two 1st lines and a 3rd line with Henrique and RNH is a second line on the majority of teams in this league.

Then Janmark and Brown making up 2/3 of a 4th line is huge as well. With those two you absolutely can get away with Ryan/Hamblin splitting 4C duties. Both guys add a right shot C option who can win draws which we really should have in the lineup. With so much depth the minutes are going to be pretty spread out so they can always rotate 97/29 into the 4C spot for some shifts to get them more minutes but also to reward Brown and Janmark with some offensive minutes because that pair is going to be doing a lot of the heavy lifting defensively. Hamblin or Ryan should be very situation usage. Taking draws where right shot is preferred, pk clean up duty and such.
With Lavoie, he seems to me be an producer with good plusses, and some actual weaknessess, wich will be displayed more if he isnt the weakest link on a line. And could grow with some elite talent. With injuryprone players like Arvidsson, Kane and J Skinner, he got an actual shot here as a NHLer.

I want to see
NugeMcDavid Hyman
Skinner Leon Arvidsson
Holloway/Kane Henrique Lavoie
Janmark Hamblin Brown
With Perry ready to jump in

Foewards look awesome, its the 12 6 millions on Nurse and ceci that feels bad

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Perry signing was the only questionable signing now that the dust has settled. RL should play over him. Neither kills penalties. Ideal would be to send DR down, Perry be in the pressbox. Now we are likely cucked of seeing either RL or Savoie up with the big bois

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Pastrnak and Barkov are both ALSO among the most underpaid players in NHL history, all in the 20 million or more club on value-per-point lost.

Pastrnak now makes the equilvant of 12M per in Alberta tax dollars. Barkov now makes the equivalent of 11.5M per. And MacKinnon makes 13M per. Of those three, only Mackinnon has a real argument for being the better player.

And all of them signed before the cap increased with reasonable assurance that it will increase by the same amount or more in the next two summers. You also have to factor in that we are not Denver, we are not Boston and we not Sunrise, Florida. It's cold, it's travel, it's a fishbowl.
Just like McLeod needed extra because he took a haircut. More revolting junk narrative.

Do what it takes to make Leon happy so he'll extend but don't come at everyone with this moralistic stance.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Parayko at 50% is the same cap as Ceci. It's a sign
Lol. I'd love to see it happen.

I just seriously doubt that Kane + Ceci does anything other than provide St. Louis with a boner kill.

I'd be livid if we traded Ekholm for Kane + Ceci, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Canovin

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
My only concern is in the forward configuration I mentioned is the pk pairs.

With McLeod and Foegele both gone, and Arvidsson not typically killing penalties, we’re short at least 1 regular PK forward.

Janmark - Brown
Nuge - Hamblin/Ryan
Henrique - ???

I don’t really want Drai killing penalties regularly, and I don’t believe anyone else up front is a regular PKer. Maybe Holloway takes a bigger role on the PK this year. His energy and speed could help offset a slower Henrique.
Janmark Brown
Nuge Ryan
And as reserves
Henrique Holloway

No worries

Reactions: 3IR

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Just like McLeod needed extra because he took a haircut. More revolting junk narrative.

Do what it takes to make Leon happy so he'll extend but don't come at everyone with this moralistic stance.
Leon is all time at his best, but somwtimes dissapears, but could be injury as well.
Ill give him 8 x 12,5 mil, so he gets his 100 millions.

Reactions: Oildrum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad