Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hopefully he can have a good offseason and preseason. Would like to see him succeed here. Think the team needs some young bodies. Ideally it would be nice to see him swap in with Perry and play more when there is an injury.
I think if he comes into Camp with a bit of chip on his shoulder and brings a very aggressive and physical game he should show well, the Oilers have space for that kind of guy.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
So do we want Draisaitl to take a pay cut because others are doing it for this team to win.... or... do we pay Draisaitl more because he is a big reason why others are taking a pay cut to come play here?

Monday morning pondering

The thing is players take pay cut against their agents advice only if they sincerely feel so due to their personal objectives. That is the only way.

The other way is Flames way try to force them and then it ends like Gaudreau, Tkatchuk, Lindholm etc. They just walk away.

But if star players do not take less, nobody will. It starts from them, like I said earlier Hyman started the wave.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
The thing is players take pay cut against their agents advice only if they sincerely feel so due to their personal objectives. That is the only way.

The other way is Flames way try to force them and then it ends like Gaudreau, Tkatchuk, Lindholm etc. They just walk away.

But if star players do not take less, nobody will. It starts from them, like I said earlier Hyman started the wave.
I don't think Hyman took a cut. RNH did.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Lavoie is back. Tough for him to push for a spot, but he'll have to have a monster camp

Lavoie has to have the best camp of his career this coming season imo, and there really hasn't been a better opportunity for a player like him to make this team in a sheltered role while still playing with some actual talent. If he's ever going to be an NHLer, it starts with this offseason which I assume played a role in him taking the minimum contract, and removing any barriers between himself and a roster spot outside of his on ice performance.

I've been begging for a one shot RH scoring winger with some size to play with Drai or Mcdavid since they got drafted, so I probably have a bit of a bias towards Lavoie but I think if he can really focus on his skating this offseason, he might have the inside edge on Savoie due to Savoie being waiver exempt, and still on his ELC for 3 more seasons. Not to mention Lavoie is more familiar with the org/players, and has 3 full seasons of playing pro hockey in the AHL.

I imagine the opening forward roster looking something like:

Holloway Mcdavid Hyman
Arvidsson Drai Skinner
Nuge Henrique Lavoie/Savoie
Hamblin Janmark Brown
Perry/Ryan

*Kane on IR to start

These two should be salivating at that third line RW spot, as whoever takes it has the inside track to replace Skinner the season after imo which is another reason I think Lavoie should be extra motivated, as I doubt he's going to get much of an NHL look after this contract without either establishing himself as a full timer this year, or having an absolute monster AHL season.

Either way, I'm hoping the competition for the spot brings the best out in both of them, as value contracts are going to become increasingly important once we resign Drai.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
HFOil capologists after learning Kane won't go on LTIR..

math-calculator.gif

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Lavoie has to have the best camp of his career this coming season imo, and there really hasn't been a better opportunity for a player like him to make this team in a sheltered role while still playing with some actual talent. If he's ever going to be an NHLer, it starts with this offseason which I assume played a role in him taking the minimum contract, and removing any barriers between himself and a roster spot outside of his on ice performance.

I've been begging for a one shot RH scoring winger with some size to play with Drai or Mcdavid since they got drafted, so I probably have a bit of a bias towards Lavoie but I think if he can really focus on his skating this offseason, he might have the inside edge on Savoie due to Savoie being waiver exempt, and still on his ELC for 3 more seasons. Not to mention Lavoie is more familiar with the org/players, and has 3 full seasons of playing pro hockey in the AHL.

Holloway Mcdavid Hyman
Arvidsson Drai Skinner
Hamblin Janmark Brown
Perry/Ryan

*Kane on IR to start

These two should be salivating at that third line RW spot, as whoever takes it has the inside track to replace Skinner the season after imo which is another reason I think Lavoie should be extra motivated, as I doubt he's going to get much of an NHL look after this contract without either establishing himself as a full timer this year, or having an absolute monster AHL season.

Either way, I'm hoping the competition for the spot brings the best out in both of them, as value contracts are going to become increasingly important once we resign Drai.
Too bad Lajoie isn't a C otherwise we could ice a line of Lavoie-Lajoie-Savoie in the AHL

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Leon Draisaitl has been one of the most critically underpaid players in the history of the NHL. He's been a top-5 player for the last 6 years of his contract with a takehome UNDER 4M per season before agents. He keeps homes in Germany and Alberta. He's been 3-4M under his actual value and lost a cumulative ~20+ million in career earnings based on his value per point.

He needs to get paid. He has maybe an 8 year window at his highest earning potential moving forward. This is a 50% income tax market.

Get good with the idea that his number is going to be 14 or more, depending on term. Remember that he's literally one of the best individual playoff performers in history. Remember that the cap may be as high as 100M in two years.

Be cool.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Holloway Mcdavid Hyman
Arvidsson Drai Skinner
Hamblin Janmark Brown
Perry/Ryan

*Kane on IR to start

I mentioned on the last page I think Lavoie could pair well with Draisaitl but even in your configuration playing bottom 6 comp with guys like Henrique and RNH is a prime opportunity for a player like him.

What an absolutely embarrassment of riches we have up front. We have the horses to essentially make two 1st lines and a 3rd line with Henrique and RNH is a second line on the majority of teams in this league.

Then Janmark and Brown making up 2/3 of a 4th line is huge as well. With those two you absolutely can get away with Ryan/Hamblin splitting 4C duties. Both guys add a right shot C option who can win draws which we really should have in the lineup. With so much depth the minutes are going to be pretty spread out so they can always rotate 97/29 into the 4C spot for some shifts to get them more minutes but also to reward Brown and Janmark with some offensive minutes because that pair is going to be doing a lot of the heavy lifting defensively. Hamblin or Ryan should be very situation usage. Taking draws where right shot is preferred, pk clean up duty and such.

Reactions: 3IR

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Leon Draisaitl has been one of the most critically underpaid players in the history of the NHL. He's been a top-5 player for the last 6 years of his contract with a takehome UNDER 4M per season before agents. He keeps homes in Germany and Alberta. He's been 3-4M under his actual value and lost a cumulative ~20+ million in career earnings based on his value per point.

He needs to get paid. He has maybe an 8 year window at his highest earning potential moving forward. This is a 50% income tax market.

Get good with the idea that his number is going to be 14 or more, depending on term. Remember that he's literally one of the best individual playoff performers in history. Remember that the cap may be as high as 100M in two years.

Be cool.
Unfortunately for the rich its no were near 50 percemt tax rate. They have loop holes through the ying yangs. Let's not forget paid in US dollars while.having cad dollar expenses thats a 30 percent raise in it self

But i expect drai to becime the highest paid player with this nee contract. Im hopeing for 13.29 per 8 years lolol and mcdavid the following year comes in at 13.97one can dream lolol.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Be cool.

Mmm. Pastarnak made 6.6 thru his dominance. Barkov made 5.9

Leon at 8.5 is hardly one of the most underpaid

Reactions: Duke74 and nabob

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Mmm. Pastarnak made 6.6 thru his dominance. Barkov made 5.9

Leon at 8.5 is hardly one of the most underpaid

Pastrnak and Barkov are both ALSO among the most underpaid players in NHL history, all in the 20 million or more club on value-per-point lost.

Pastrnak now makes the equilvant of 12M per in Alberta tax dollars. Barkov now makes the equivalent of 11.5M per. And MacKinnon makes 13M per. Of those three, only Mackinnon has a real argument for being the better player.

And all of them signed before the cap increased with reasonable assurance that it will increase by the same amount or more in the next two summers. You also have to factor in that we are not Denver, we are not Boston and we not Sunrise, Florida. It's cold, it's travel, it's a fishbowl.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I mentioned on the last page I think Lavoie could pair well with Draisaitl but even in your configuration playing bottom 6 comp with guys like Henrique and RNH is a prime opportunity for a player like him.

What an absolutely embarrassment of riches we have up front. We have the horses to essentially make two 1st lines and a 3rd line with Henrique and RNH is a second line on the majority of teams in this league.

Then Janmark and Brown making up 2/3 of a 4th line is huge as well. With those two you absolutely can get away with Ryan/Hamblin splitting 4C duties. Both guys add a right shot C option who can win draws which we really should have in the lineup. With so much depth the minutes are going to be pretty spread out so they can always rotate 97/29 into the 4C spot for some shifts to get them more minutes but also to reward Brown and Janmark with some offensive minutes because that pair is going to be doing a lot of the heavy lifting defensively. Hamblin or Ryan should be very situation usage. Taking draws where right shot is preferred, pk clean up duty and such.

My only concern is in the forward configuration I mentioned is the pk pairs.

With McLeod and Foegele both gone, and Arvidsson not typically killing penalties, we’re short at least 1 regular PK forward.

Janmark - Brown
Nuge - Hamblin/Ryan
Henrique - ???

I don’t really want Drai killing penalties regularly, and I don’t believe anyone else up front is a regular PKer. Maybe Holloway takes a bigger role on the PK this year. His energy and speed could help offset a slower Henrique.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Good to see they signed Lavoie. But that guy has to really step up this year to get a spot on a crowded NHL roster, in full agreement with other posters here saying so. Great time for a prospect to step in now, but there's only room for 1 or maybe 2 if there are injuries (I'd expect Philp to show well even after missing an entire year, but likely won't start here). Maybe Hamblin but he's rather small, and not an ideal bottom six type.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Be cool.
Lots of players outplay their contacts. That doesn’t mean they should get more than their worth next contract.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Glad to have him back. Hopefully he share minutes with Perry as I can't see him playing 82 games
Unless he magically turned himself better defensively and at skating, hitting and using his body, there is no way he will be on the bottom six

Reactions: Darkwinter

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Its probably too early to post this I am interested to see what kind of training camp Knoblauch runs. Woodcroft’s training camp and preseason decisions were quite frankly garbage. I actually hope for players like Lavoie they are actually given more of an opportunity to prove themselves. Expecting prospects to look good in preseason when they are given nothing to work with in terms of linemates isn’t exactly empowering.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
My only concern is in the forward configuration I mentioned is the pk pairs.

With McLeod and Foegele both gone, and Arvidsson not typically killing penalties, we’re short at least 1 regular PK forward.

Janmark - Brown
Nuge - Hamblin/Ryan
Henrique - ???

I don’t really want Drai killing penalties regularly, and I don’t believe anyone else up front is a regular PKer. Maybe Holloway takes a bigger role on the PK this year. His energy and speed could help offset a slower Henrique.
I agree with you and felt that the PK is where we would feel the biggest loss with Foegele and McLeod gone.

If we are able to spread out 5v5 minutes I think Hyman could be a PK option as well but like with RNH top 6 deployment, PP and PK duty could reduce their effectiveness overall.

I’m sure a lot of people will hate this idea but I wouldn’t mind them trying some different looks and options on PP1. It seems like teams are starting to find ways to chip away at our PP’s effectiveness so mixing it up could counter that while also allowing us to get some fresh blood on the PP and give some other guys opportunities. Doing so could give us RNH and Hyman as a second or third PK forward pairing option.

Reactions: 3IR

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wouldn't mind Lavoie and Perry alternating in and out of the lineup. I suspect that with his contract that Lavoie gets claimed by a bottom dwelling team if he is sent down. He would give us much needed beef in the bottom 6 and a one shot threat there as well.

Reactions: Gordian Knot

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Lots of players outplay their contacts. That doesn’t mean they should get more than their worth next contract.

At 14M per, he'd be making about 15% of the Cap in 2025-2026.

Connor McDavid made 15% of the cap this year on a deal that underpays him by 3M or more based on value per point, based on a deal he signed in 2016. Draisaitl is #5 in all-time playoff PPG.

You want to pretend we're not a disadvantaged market because a few midrange players took discounts short-term for a chance at the Cup? Great. But a guy who has a chance to be one of the best European players ever in the NHL isn't going to look off his last decade of earning potential for Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Your perspective, if shared by the Oilers, could cost them the next 10 years. For what? A chance at a million dollars in cap savings?

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Smart move for Lavoie. Might play if we are in a cap crunch.

I think he is first call up for injury relief for bottom 6. Be pretty surprised if he doesn't play at least 20 games this year with us. He is waivers eligible though right? So also wouldn't shock me to see him getting claimed by another team if we do send him down.

Reactions: McDoused
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad