Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Is there any mechanism in the NHL where a player could void his own contract? Then resign? Or would that be way against the rules of the CBA and constitute cap circumvention?

In this scenario the player is willing to give up more earnings. You’d think if it was players decision it should be allowed.

I could see Nurse doing that if given the chance. No f***in way he thinks he’s worth 9.25M and no f***in way he wants to be the biggest reason why we won’t win a Cup in the McD era.

Reactions: Duke74

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We're stuck with his anchor of a contract no matter what lol. The only solution is to move out shit ass Ceci and find Nurse a partner that can defend and move the puck out.

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I swore I saw the advanced stats that showed Ceci dragged all of his partners and any forwards down whenever he was on the ice. Nurse's numbers actually improved without him amusingly enough considering Nurse was already dreadful still with and without Ceci. Plus Ceci would be much easier to trade than Nurse. It would be like CBJ with Don Waddell and Merzilikins where Don pretty much said "Nobody is trading for that contract." Same thing applies with Nurse IMO.

Ceci and Kulak were pretty decent in the playoffs.
Nurse was a liability with everyone except Broberg and even that started to wear off towards game 7. Small sample size though.
Wouldnt bother me to see Ceci go but I dont have high expectations for a $3.25M dman.
Nurse occupies almost 3 times the cap space and delivers the same or less than Ceci in terms of on ice play.

Nurse is just so hard to play with because you just never know what the hell he is going to do.
Some of his decisions are just inexplicable.
I keep thinking of the Stars game where Nurse jumps over the boards and immediatley skates towrds the Stars puck carrier in the Stars zone which creates an odd man rush for the Stars the other way..
That was such a WTF moment.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Because players who play his style of game rarely stay healthy towards their mid 30s?

Bookmark this. We’ll talk at the end of the year

I don’t need to wait until the end of the year to know that complaining about a player scoring against non-playoff opponents is stupid.

Reactions: McBooya42

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We're stuck with his anchor of a contract no matter what lol. The only solution is to move out shit ass Ceci and find Nurse a partner that can defend and move the puck out.

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I swore I saw the advanced stats that showed Ceci dragged all of his partners and any forwards down whenever he was on the ice. Nurse's numbers actually improved without him amusingly enough considering Nurse was already dreadful still with and without Ceci. Plus Ceci would be much easier to trade than Nurse. It would be like CBJ with Don Waddell and Merzilikins where Don pretty much said "Nobody is trading for that contract." Same thing applies with Nurse IMO.

I’m just trying to brainstorm his ass away. But I know it’s probably impossible :(. And we’ll be stuck looking at the same Ceci upgrade scenario this year.

After the playoffs though, I’m more inclined to think Nurse is the problem and not Ceci. Nurse there’s no saving. With Ceci I found a small sliver of hope.

Reactions: Jarvi and guymez

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I don’t need to wait until the end of the year to know that complaining about a player scoring against non-playoff opponents is stupid.
No, thinking a power forward in his 30s is going to be a valuable asset to the end of his contract is stupid. Believing a player will light it up in the playoffs when he couldn’t do it in the regular season is stupid. Again, moving goalposts. I’ll ask you plain and simple- do you honestly believe Kane is going to be a progressively better player until the end of his contract?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Ceci and Kulak were pretty decent in the playoffs.
Nurse was a liability with everyone except Broberg and even that started to wear off towards game 7. Small sample size though.
Wouldnt bother me to see Ceci go but I dont have high expectations for a $3.25M dman.
Nurse occupies almost 3 times the cap space and delivers the same or less than Ceci in terms of on ice play.

Nurse is just so hard to play with because you just never know what the hell he is going to do.
Some of his decisions are just inexplicable.
I keep thinking of the Stars game where Nurse jumps over the boards and immediatley skates towrds the Stars puck carrier in the Stars zone which creates an odd man rush for the Stars the other way..
That was such a WTF moment.
Yeah, I know how bad Nurse was haha. I just don't see any realistic trades involving him compared to Ceci. I'd fund a statue for JJ or the next GM if we were able to move out Nurse.
I’m just trying to brainstorm his ass away. But I know it’s probably impossible :(. And we’ll be stuck looking at the same Ceci upgrade scenario this year.

After the playoffs though, I’m more inclined to think Nurse is the problem and not Ceci. Nurse there’s no saving. With Ceci I found a small sliver of hope.
Thing is, the upgrade has to happen. Oilers cannot make the same mistake in another consecutive year having Ceci on the back end.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Biron getting ratio'd in the comments too, including by Canucks fans (more reasonable ones on there than HFmains I guess lol). Marty's just being a contrarian for clicks (it worked)
He might just be a moron. That pretends to watch the Oil and has no idea. I’ve listened to his takes plenty and he’s nearly always wrong about the Oil. I think he’s one of the dumbest analysts around.

Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
No, thinking a power forward in his 30s is going to be a valuable asset to the end of his contract is stupid. Believing a player will light it up in the playoffs when he couldn’t do it in the regular season is stupid. Again, moving goalposts. I’ll ask you plain and simple- do you honestly believe Kane is going to be a progressively better player until the end of his contract?

I couldn’t possibly care less about any of this.

You’re shouting at clouds, all I ever mentioned was the stupidity of complaining about scoring on non playoff teams.

Time for you to go to bed maybe.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I know how bad Nurse was haha. I just don't see any realistic trades involving him compared to Ceci. I'd fund a statue for JJ or the next GM if we were able to move out Nurse.

Thing is, the upgrade has to happen. Oilers cannot make the same mistake in another consecutive year having Ceci on the back end.

Yeh. We need to upgrade our D core somehow. Can’t risk it again. Upgrading Ceci is the more realistic path, but still hard to do, I’m just worried that it may not be enough to mitigate how bad Nurse is.

How’s the UFA rental crop of RDs looking this year?

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I think you nailed it. He couldnt possibly be that daft.
He might just be a moron. That pretends to watch the Oil and has no idea. I’ve listened to his takes plenty and he’s nearly always wrong about the Oil. I think he’s one of the dumbest analysts around.

On the other hand, Noodles does not hold a contrarian view and has pretty good analysis of the moves the Oilers made and growth of incumbent players. Unfortunately, also correct in wondering about McLeod. I'd really rather they don't move him just yet, but he needs to be better this year, particularly in the playoffs

edit: ha, @Skolman thinks alike

Reactions: guymez

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It was reported that Blues were in on Henrique at the last minute. They need need a middle 6 Center. They didn’t pick one up in Free Agency either.

How bout:

Nurse (2.75M retained) + McLeod + Ceci for Parayko + Leddy

10.25M in. 11.95M out.

We swap 9.25M Nurse for a 9.25M Parayko (cause we retain 2.75M). Leddy replaces Nurse. Parayko replaces Ceci. Blues get Mcleod for their troubles.

If Nurse won’t waive. And in a less blockbuster version and maybe more realistic. How bout:

Mcleod + Ceci + 2026 1st for Parayko (1.15M retained)

5.35M out. 5.35M in.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lol. Larssons like the only guy that’d be a good upgrade. And he probably doesn’t want to come back. Although… maybe he’d change his mind with a Cup being so close to a possibility.

On the other hand, Noodles does not hold a contrarian view and has pretty good analysis of the moves the Oilers made and growth of incumbent players. Unfortunately, also correct in wondering about McLeod. I'd really rather they don't move him just yet, but he needs to be better this year, particularly in the playoffs

edit: ha, @Skolman thinks alike

I like Noodles. He’s a reasonable analyst. But disappointed that he barely knows the Oil in general throughout the year. He’s spending way too much time with pajama boys and it’s making him dumb. That said, the video posted he’s got a good overall take. And accurate on Mcleod too, who i also don’t want to lose and would like to see if there’s more there this year.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Lol. Larssons like the only guy that’d be a good upgrade. And he probably doesn’t want to come back. Although… maybe he’d change his mind with a Cup being so close to a possibility.

I like Noodles. He’s a reasonable analyst. But disappointed that he barely knows the Oil in general throughout the year. He’s spending way too much time with pajama boys and it’s making him dumb. That said, the video posted he’s got a good overall take. And accurate on Mcleod too, who i also don’t want to lose and would like to see if there’s more there this year.

Yeah, Larsson would be an ideal target. RHD UFA in 2025 are 99% utter dog shit lol.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I think these are fine lines to start the year get confidence in J. Skinner and give Janmark the opportunity to see if he can keep the ball rolling, but ultimately while I'm sure J. Skinner can score at a high clip on that line, the simple fact is the McDavid line draws elite match-ups and I don't know how long a coach would tolerate a player with defensive issues when he has more well rounded players readily available. So few coaches want to get into a river boat gambler type game, they want structure and defense first so I'm guessing Skinner will slide to line 2 or 3 where he'll face easier competition (if on line 3 definitely up his minutes when we are chasing the lead).

Then Janmark I see him as a 4th liner at this stage of his career, it's great that he can elevate his play when needed, but a lot of people get high on 3rd/4th lines that are great in the playoffs and those players just won't and can't sustain that same level of competitiveness and drive in the regular season. Also most of the fanbase think of Holloway and McLeod as 3rd/4th line players, but both are capable of stealing a top 6 spot IMO, I'm not sure if either can hold it full time just yet, but definitely pick up the ball and go on a little tear when someone else is running cold.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Sadly I think most proper fixes to our d-core seem like they are more likely to be available at the deadline, just looking around the league at RHD that I think could be available now:

1) Trevor Van Riemsdyk- like us they need to cut cap and seems almost certain they'll cut either him or Ethan Bear, but I'm guessing he's more likely since he makes more and Bear was a more recent signing (though I also had no clue about his substance abuse issues and if that changed how the org felt about him). Regardless, I don't really see him as an upgrade on Ceci, kind of lateral or potentially worse.

2) Henri Jokiharju- I don't have enough views on the player to have a great grasp on him, but it appears the Byram trade made him a little more expendable, between Power, Dahlin, and Byram they are developing many young D at the same time, while Jokiharju is 25 I think it might still be a little too much at once, the org seems like it really wants to take a step forward and getting a little older to properly mentor their young d-core seems smart. While contenders generally don't look to this age range or experience level for D fixes, his analytics make me think he might take that next step and with our limited capspace we do have to be somewhat frugal in finding fixes.

3) Will Borgen- He got pushed down the pecking order with the Montour signing, a big mobile defensive defenseman, defends well, good stick, has a little bite to his game. Hasn't fully established himself as 2nd pairing quality so on paper it kind of seems lateral, but I think his higher level skating will prevent him from being victimized on the forecheck like Ceci and I find the speed at which he adapts to plays on the fly will elevate him a notch above, I think both Nurse and Ceci have deer in the headlights moments when unfortunate bounce or the unexpected occurs, but Borgen doesn't seem to miss a beat and actively compensates, which is something I think Nurse needs in a partner; maybe not as good of a puck mover as Nurse might need, but IMO this is a very reasonable gamble if we want to take an early shot at trying to patch a hole.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Is there any mechanism in the NHL where a player could void his own contract? Then resign? Or would that be way against the rules of the CBA and constitute cap circumvention?

In this scenario the player is willing to give up more earnings. You’d think if it was players decision it should be allowed.

I could see Nurse doing that if given the chance. No f***in way he thinks he’s worth 9.25M and no f***in way he wants to be the biggest reason why we won’t win a Cup in the McD era.
Players and teams can agree to mutual termination. But there is a no renegotiations clause in the CBA that is there to mostly prevent players from holding out for more money while under contract. Would they allow termination and resigning with the same team? I doubt it. I think the NHLPA would have an issue with this setting a precedent leading to clubs pressuring players to take pay cuts.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I dont know...Ceci was good with Kulak. Nurse was bad with everyone.
If he could at least play like a $4M dman I would be happy.
What does it say when the $9.25M dman needs the perfect partner before he is any good?

Larsson would make a world of difference on this team in lieu of Nurse.
Here are the stats involving those three over the last three years.

Regular Season:

Playoffs:

One thing that these don't tell you is circumstance when the combinations are on the ice. For much of the time Nurse was probably taking the more challenging match-ups. That said Kulak seems to come out well in this.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad