Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I still really like the idea of a Kane-McLeod-Holloway line come playoff time. McLeod's a perimeter player, but he's generally a good 2-way player and back checker, and a solid penalty killer. I think having two high intensity physical guys will make his perimeter play much less obvious. Lots of speed on that line as well.

To me the Oilers are built more like a two 1st line, two 3rd line kind of team where the top 2 lines play similar minutes and the bottom 2 lines play similar minutes rather than the traditional 4th line playing limited minutes. Should increase the amount of juice guys can bring each night with the 5 on 5 minutes spread more evenly, and the bottom 2 lines (+ Nuge and Hyman) covering PK minutes and a bit of PP time for a few of them.
I’d like to see

Skinner McDavid Hyman
McLeod Drai Arvidsson
Kane Nuge Holloway
Janmark Henrique Brown

Come playoff time. We have the wingers to stack the lines with the most insane 1-4 center lineup assembled in the cap era.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Again, there's no real reason to deride Kane's character.

It's just not that difficult to see the poor fit for him in the long-term here. And if he's not injured enough to be placed on LTI until March 1st at the very least, when his NMC turns into a partial NTC, the Oilers will probably have to move multiple pieces from their roster, stripping it of necessary depth.

I may be in the minority here, but Ryan McLeod is probably a more valuable roster player than Evander Kane at this point. Having to replace both he AND one of either Ceci or Kulak with league min players so we can run Kane in the bottom six is how we remove some of the depth JJ just added to this roster days ago.
Ultimately we can't do anything with Kane because of the NMC so we need to just take this thing a day at a time. I assume he is on LTIR at least to start (is that even confirmed?). I doubt there is a ticking clock on other options to balance the cap. I don't see why trading someone like Ceci or whoever would be so much harder later rather than sooner

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I’d like to see

Skinner McDavid Hyman
McLeod Drai Arvidsson
Kane Nuge Holloway
Janmark Henrique Brown

Come playoff time. We have the wingers to stack the lines with the most insane 1-4 center lineup assembled in the cap era.
While the 4 centre stack is enticing, I just think Nuge is a better winger than a centre these days. He's just so effective in that role as a support player, but regardless this is a lineup where you don't really have a true 4th line. You just have 4 lines you can roll all game long in all situations. It's something I've never seen before as an Edmonton Oiler fan. Even the 06' team which a lot of people thought was so so deep had a pretty mediocre 4th line that often cycled fringe players on it throughout the playoffs. The Oilers fringe player at this point is Corey Perry. I don't think there's a single forward in the top 12 who aren't capable of putting up 30 points in a season. That's pretty remarkable when you think about it.

Ultimately we can't do anything with Kane because of the NMC so we need to just take this thing a day at a time. I assume he is on LTIR at least to start (is that even confirmed?). I doubt there is a ticking clock on other options to balance the cap. I don't see why trading someone like Ceci or whoever would be so much harder later rather than sooner
It won't be harder at all. If Kane's on LTIR and expected to miss a large part of the season then there's no reason not to keep Ceci and move him for a 75% retained upgrade later in the year. If anything it might even drop the price because the team you're trading with can turn around and flip Ceci to another team with retention for additional draft picks.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Watching Staois get rocked in all his trades. And Grier to a certain degree. Makes me think that we should definitely be in the market for an EXPERIENCED GM.

Don't underestimate the Old boys club that is GMs in this League. Relationships matter.

On that note, I wish Kenny swallowed his pride/ego and just took a way more appropriate Non-GM role in this organization. No shame in it. He's past his prime and likes playing golf. Take a load off and let someone else do all the hustling.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Watching Staois get rocked in all his trades. And Grier to a certain degree. Makes me think that we should definitely be in the market for an EXPERIENCED GM.

Don't underestimate the Old boys club that is GMs in this League. Relationships matter.

On that note, I wish Kenny swallowed his pride/ego and just took a way more appropriate Non-GM role in this organization. No shame in it. He's past his prime and likes playing golf. Take a load off and let someone else do all the hustling.
To be fair Staios stole Ullmark.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
boqvist still unsigned?
Guys like him and Barrie are a tough sell. You need a team who needs that exact skill set that can surround them with enough talent to compliment them. It’s a weird scenario that doesn’t come around too often. The Oilers pre Bouchard were that team for years but it’s not common.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I’d like to see

Skinner McDavid Hyman
McLeod Drai Arvidsson
Kane Nuge Holloway
Janmark Henrique Brown

That's an expensive 4th line.

I want a the 2 swedes with Drai and triple H line for chuckles.

Skinner-McDavid-Nuge
Janmark-Drai-Arvidsson
Hyman-Henrique-Holloway
Kane-McLeod/Ryan-Brown
Perry

Your lineup looks pretty sick as well.. a lot of depth finally.

Reactions: McDoused

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Kane was out of shape to start the year what does that make everyone else? He was by far the best player on the team the first month.
Kane’s been in top shape his entire career but he decided to pick the season the Oilers came to camp early and push hard for a cup to stop training and get out of shape…..

To be fair Staios stole Ullmark.
Ullmark didn’t give Boston many options. Full NMC and doesn’t like the West’s travel schedule.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Ask Vancouver fans how much they hate Kane. In playoffs he is beast.
Kane is still a beast when he's healthy. I think he's the perfect line mate for Holloway as well to form a crash and bang line with speed and skill. He still skates well. He's still physical. And he still knows how to bury the puck.

Let him take all the time he needs to get healthy. They don't need him on opening night if he's not ready. Having Perry/Lavoie are your 13th forward to fill in in the meantime is a nice luxury to have.

AlbOilFAN

Jan 26, 2018
Kane is still a beast when he's healthy. I think he's the perfect line mate for Holloway as well to form a crash and bang line with speed and skill. He still skates well. He's still physical. And he still knows how to bury the puck.

Let him take all the time he needs to get healthy. They don't need him on opening night if he's not ready. Having Perry/Lavoie are your 13th forward to fill in in the meantime is a nice luxury to have.
Some people here seem to forget game 4 against Vancouver, when Canucks just tied the game.
It was him for checking Hronek twice and we won that game in the last 30 seconds i think.
That game could gone OT, you never know what could happen.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Some people here seem to forget game 4 against Vancouver, when Canucks just tied the game.
It was him for checking Hronek twice and we won that game in the last 30 seconds i think.
That game could gone OT, you never know what could happen.
He scored some big goals through the first 2 rounds before the injuries caught up with him. That 10 days off before the playoffs did him good but only so much you can do. Hope he makes a full recovery and comes back when he’s ready next year.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He scored some big goals through the first 2 rounds before the injuries caught up with him. That 10 days off before the playoffs did him good but only so much you can do. Hope he makes a full recovery and comes back when he’s ready next year.
This and he provided a nice physical edge in both of those series when LA and Vancouver were trying to run everyone through the boards. As counterintuitive as this might sound the Oilers actually would have absorbed a lot of that physical even better if they had decided to swap in Broberg earlier for Desharnais. Both Ceci and Desharnais struggled with puck retrievals in the playoffs and a lot of that led to unnecessary D zone time and guys taking a lot more hits than they needed to.

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Kane’s been in top shape his entire career but he decided to pick the season the Oilers came to camp early and push hard for a cup to stop training and get out of shape…..

Ullmark didn’t give Boston many options. Full NMC and doesn’t like the West’s travel schedule.

Kane is a rare player that actually has stories about being called out of shape lol

In any case, I'm gonna take time to try to find these quotes from Stauffer and Gregor last week where people said that those guys said he was out of shape in camp this year, using their recorded shows. I never heard it myself.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Kane is a rare player that actually has stories about being called out of shape lol

In any case, I'm gonna take time to try to find these quotes from Stauffer and Gregor last week where people said that those guys said he was out of shape in camp this year.
Oh yeah. big Dustin Byfuglien bringing that top shape leadership in Winnipeg. Man, just give it a rest maybe? You're looking a fool on the board here.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
This and he provided a nice physical edge in both of those series when LA and Vancouver were trying to run everyone through the boards. As counterintuitive as this might sound the Oilers actually would have absorbed a lot of that physical even better if they had decided to swap in Broberg earlier for Desharnais. Both Ceci and Desharnais struggled with puck retrievals in the playoffs and a lot of that led to unnecessary D zone time and guys taking a lot more hits than they needed to.
I feel like Vinny only started to struggle when he was moved up to play with Nurse. Ceci and Nurse were just such a disaster that they had to do something. Ceci was fine after being split from Nurse too. Everyone who played with Nurse struggled except randomly Broberg. At this point I’d try and roll that pairing in camp and see if they can get something going. Anything to get Nurse going at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad