Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
And this post is based on what?

Evander Kane is the man who got his clothes thrown into the shower in his last days in Winnipeg by his Jets teammates. He went to Buffalo, put up good numbers and got dealt for NOTHING just to get him away from those players off-ice. He was as publicly trashed by teammates in San Jose as any NHL player EVER is. It's not just about his problem gambling or messy divorce. Anna Kane is not his only accuser and the rest of his behavior completely falls in line with that of an abusive douchebag, whether or not she is also a loon.

Elliotte Friedmann says the Oilers relationship with him is currently "nasty". He's getting into fights with players on camera, during the game, who are blatantly accusing him of being lazy. Which, you know, he obviously is anytime he doesn't get to play with top-six players. He's the dude who complains about his icetime to the media during a 16 game win streak while he is completely worthless shift by shift. Oilers can't win a game and he's scoring though? Big smiles.

There's a justified quote that sums up Evander Kane. You meet an asshole that day? You met an asshole. You meet assholes all the time? You are the asshole.

He's so obviously a problem of a human being and the Oilers are going to be the fourth organization to flush him. Be it trade or LTIR. The latter suits him fine, I'm sure, since he doesn't want to show up for work most of the time.

I could never find the exact Gregor quotes on Kane being out of shape to start the year. If that's true though, he basically costed the team the cup by not being committed. Even worse if he avoided having to do mid-season surgery/rehab because it would have been more difficult than just pain management and sitting out.

If any of that is true, there has to be a lot of resentment from the org and teammates. And yeah, would be the third team burned by giving him a multi-year deal. Some guys are only cut out for 1 year deals. He was great for us for 1 year, a contract/redemption season. Unfortunately, still 2 seasons until his next contract year now.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Which option do you think is better? Putting Kane on LTIR or trading him so that we can accrue cap space? Assuming the Oilers have that choice
In the abstract this is very hard to say. If you have him on LTIR for the whole year but get him back for the playoffs that could be big. If the LTIR end mid season you could find yourself in a bit of a pickle.

Kane is a bit of an enigma. When he is good he is very good. But he could also be an ineffective $5.5M third line winger if his health does not get better. In the latter case, a trade is probably better.

Given the future cap needs Kane probably does not play out his deal. Even if he is on the team this year I think there is an excellent chance he is gone by July 1, 2025.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I mean, i think its kind of incontrovertible that Kane has problems. But it can also be true that he has improved, at least some, and is doing better than when he was young. I think the team and fans oughta be fair to him, whatever that means. Much remains to be seen.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I could never find the exact Gregor quotes on Kane being out of shape to start the year. If that's true though, he basically costed the team the cup by not being committed. Even worse if he avoided having to do mid-season surgery/rehab because it would have been more difficult than just pain management and sitting out.

If any of that is true, there has to be a lot of resentment from the org and teammates. And yeah, would be the third team burned by giving him a multi-year deal. Some guys are only cut out for 1 year deals. He was great for us for 1 year, a contract/redemption season. Unfortunately, still 2 seasons until his next contract year now.
Kane not getting surgery is the same as McDavid not going on LTIR with his abdominal tear early in the season. I'd say that was on Holland

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Now he cost the team the cup by supposedly not showing up in shape....at the beginning of the season? Are you delusional?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

For me, that changes my view of Kane by a lot. I would like a confirmation that the quote even exists. Someone tell me where Gregs said it and I'll track it down.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
And this post is based on what?

Evander Kane is the man who got his clothes thrown into the shower in his last days in Winnipeg by his Jets teammates. He went to Buffalo, put up good numbers and got dealt for NOTHING just to get him away from those players off-ice. He was as publicly trashed by teammates in San Jose as any NHL player EVER is. It's not just about his problem gambling or messy divorce. Anna Kane is not his only accuser and the rest of his behavior completely falls in line with that of an abusive douchebag, whether or not she is also a loon.

Elliotte Friedmann says the Oilers relationship with him is currently "nasty". He's getting into fights with players on camera, during the game, who are blatantly accusing him of being lazy. Which, you know, he obviously is anytime he doesn't get to play with top-six players. He's the dude who complains about his icetime to the media during a 16 game win streak while he is completely worthless shift by shift. Oilers can't win a game and he's scoring though? Big smiles.

There's a justified quote that sums up Evander Kane. You meet an asshole that day? You met an asshole. You meet assholes all the time? You are the asshole.

He's so obviously a problem of a human being and the Oilers are going to be the fourth organization to flush him. Be it trade or LTIR. The latter suits him fine, I'm sure, since he doesn't want to show up for work most of the time.
As someone who has lived in Manitoba my whole life, it's been well documented the last 2-3 years that Kane wasn't the issue in that locker-room.

There were massive culture issues, with terrible leadership in the room.

Kane was a young pup in Winnipeg, who definitely would have made some mistakes. The "Track-suit" incident is way overblown though.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Buffalo has 18M in Cap Space still lol. They didn't even need to buy out Skinner.

Was some rumblings they wanted vet D last year. They should just take on the Nurse contract and save face for the Skinner buy out. They seemed to have underestimated how unwilling players are willing to sign there. They need to trade to fill out the roster. We can help.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
The number of good line combinations we can put together right now is absolutely f***ed.

I think the one i like best right now is

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Holloway-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
RNH-Henrique-Perry
Janmark-McLeod-Brown
Not too shabby, I personally prefer this though if they end up moving RNH off the top line.

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Ryan(not ideal)-Perry/Lavoie

Trade McLeod. I believe this is inevitable. I wouldn't be surprised to see McLeod + Ceci + a pick shipped out for a upgrade on the backend.

I believe Brown puts up 30+ points next season, and forces himself into a top 9 role

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Not too shabby, I personally prefer this though if they end up moving RNH off the top line.

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Ryan(not ideal)-Perry/Lavoie

Trade McLeod. I believe this is inevitable. I wouldn't be surprised to see McLeod + Ceci + a pick shipped out for a upgrade on the backend.

I believe Brown puts up 30+ points next season.
Oilers will average 4 goals per game or slightly higher

Reactions: McBooya42

commie

Jul 30, 2005
Now he cost the team the cup by supposedly not showing up in shape....at the beginning of the season? Are you delusional?

How soon people forget that Kane was one of their better players at the start of the season, while the rest of the top 6 was struggling. Kane for all his warts still had 24 goals and was 4th on the team.
If healthy he still brings an element of his game that is lacking on this team. But that is the big IF.
Best case is to put him on LTIR to get fully healthy and come back for the playoffs, almost like a TDL addition. If he can go on ltir for the season.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Not being in shape would significantly increase his chances of getting an injury like a sports hernia. He became useless to the team when he was most needed.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Kane not getting surgery is the same as McDavid not going on LTIR with his abdominal tear early in the season. I'd say that was on Holland
It didn't help that the team was at the bottom of the league and had to claw their way back into the playoff picture. Mcdavid and Kane getting surgery would be the team waving the white flag for the season. By the time we were comfortably in a playoff spot it was to late for either of them to get surgery without missing the playoffs.

I think it might be a little early to be claiming that Kane is falling off. Guy had 24 goals and 44 points almost entirely at even strength while playing through a debilitating injury for half the season.
He was around 40th in even strength goal scoring. That puts him in 1st line production for goal scoring. If he played on PP1 then he'd be flirting with 40 goals last season while injured.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Not being in shape would significantly increase his chances of getting an injury like a sports hernia. He became useless to the team when he was most needed.
I’m not sure I buy the whole not showing up in shape thing. I remember early in the year Kane was one of the very few players that were producing before Woody got tossed. I would say it’s more of the media hating on the guy because of past transgressions. Just my opinion of course

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Wasn't McDavid's injury late in the year? He put up a once in 3 decades playoff performance, so don't think it was near as bad as Kane's injury that we know happened very early in the year.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
How soon people forget that Kane was one of their better players at the start of the season, while the rest of the top 6 was struggling. Kane for all his warts still had 24 goals and was 4th on the team.
If healthy he still brings an element of his game that is lacking on this team. But that is the big IF.
Best case is to put him on LTIR to get fully healthy and come back for the playoffs, almost like a TDL addition. If he can go on ltir for the season.
Seems like we both remember this

Wasn't McDavid's injury late in the year? He put up a once in 3 decades playoff performance, so don't think it was near as bad as Kane's injury that we know happened very early in the year.
From all accounts Connor was battling that injury all year

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I’m not sure I buy the whole not showing up in shape thing. I remember early in the year Kane was one of the very few players that were producing before Woody got tossed. I would say it’s more of the media hating on the guy because of past transgressions. Just my opinion of course

He's a super talented player, for sure. Maybe he actually is the caricature that people tried to make Kessel out to be. Although Kessel actually did give 100% of himself to hockey.

From all accounts Connor was battling that injury all year

Seems he did a great job of managing it. Even 100% healthy he may never reproduce those playoffs. Rishaug said he may not even need surgery.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Ehhh… even when under a multimillion dollar contract to a pro sports team, players are still individuals with certain unassailable rights, including power over their own healthcare decisions. Holland had no power to order or force any player to undergo surgery without their consent.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Ehhh… even when under a multimillion dollar contract to a pro sports team, players are still individuals with certain unassailable rights, including power over their own healthcare decisions. Holland had no power to order or force any player to undergo surgery without their consent.

For sure it's up to Kane.

Also the right of the team and teammates to hold a grudge.

For people comparing, you can't compare McDavid and Kane at all.

McDavid would have made the right decision to help the team and be ready for playoffs. He handled whatever injury he had masterfully. Best playoff performance in decades, first losing team Conn Smythe for a skater in almost 50 years. 4 forwards with 9+ points vs Florida's 7 forwards with 14+ points. McDavid carrying most of those 4 forwards on his back all playoffs, especially after Drai got busted by an elbow to the back. And in the end McDavid doesn't even need surgery from the sound of it.

Kane, injury that you can get surgery and recover from in 2-3 months max known in Oct/Nov. But would have been a hard rehab with the team breathing down his neck. Chooses pain management, and results in him not even being able to play. Media comments he came into camp out of shape, others that the org is unhappy with him and tried to move him but he refused to waive his NMC. Rumors all year of crap in the room.

Things at least maybe are making more sense.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
What if the players wanted the surgery at the time? Didn't Kane want a surgery for the sport hernia? Heck even 2 seasons ago, Yamo could have went on LTIR for concussions

Have been history of teams pushing guys to play injured. I don't think the Oilers would be mad at Kane if the org did that. Should be Kane asking for a trade and calling the org out if we pressured him to play until he couldn't anymore.

If he did come in out of shape and the org and his teammates knew it, and he ended up with a sports hernia right around the start of the year. That's kind of embarrassing. Who knows, could lead to a stubborn need to prove he can play through it. At least can look like a hero for jacking up on meds.

Get Rishaug on the case to fully crack this story :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad