Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
The fans wanted Brown to score SOOOO badly, lol. It was an honest reaction when he scored, everybody was legit happy for him.

He would be one injury away from being a callup though. The Oilers are the oldest team in the league, so there is a very high probability that he gets a callup this year.

What does a call-up realistically look like for him though. 8 minutes on the 4th line with Derek Ryan and Matthias Janmark?

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Re: Kane- I think a lot of people here are clinging on to the player he was in the last half of the 2022 season+ playoffs. That player simply doesn't exist anymore. Power forwards generally hit a wall in their early 30s due to playstyle and injuries, and Kane is no different. Multiple injuries have accelerated that decline unfortunately.

Problem is, Kane still thinks he's that player. Which isn't a surprise, athletes are competitive to the point of being delusional, and they're usually the last to admit to themselves what everybody can see, especially for someone who's been a top 6 winger his whole life.

I remember an interview from Andrew Cogliano way back after we traded him to Anaheim, he was frustrated with his time in Edmonton because he thought he was a top 6 centre and didn't get enough opportunity as one. It took him getting traded and playing their to realize that to make it in the NHL, it was as a checking player. He carved out one of the best 3rd line careers in recent memory, and is still playing, but it took him a while to get there.

What I'm saying is, I don't expect Kane to realize that he's declined, but that is what coaches and management is for- to make the tough decisions.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
If Kane ends up getting hip surgery... he could be out for the year.
if there was ever a year to get all his treatments and surgeries done, it would be this one. 2nd last year on his contract and playing on a cap-strapped contender. I want to see what he has left being 100% healthy. He could be a good boost in the playoffs if Perry burns out by then

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Re: Kane- I think a lot of people here are clinging on to the player he was in the last half of the 2022 season+ playoffs. That player simply doesn't exist anymore. Power forwards generally hit a wall in their early 30s due to playstyle and injuries, and Kane is no different. Multiple injuries have accelerated that decline unfortunately.

Problem is, Kane still thinks he's that player. Which isn't a surprise, athletes are competitive to the point of being delusional, and they're usually the last to admit to themselves what everybody can see, especially for someone who's been a top 6 winger his whole life.

I remember an interview from Andrew Cogliano way back after we traded him to Anaheim, he was frustrated with his time in Edmonton because he thought he was a top 6 centre and didn't get enough opportunity as one. It took him getting traded and playing their to realize that to make it in the NHL, it was as a checking player. He carved out one of the best 3rd line careers in recent memory, and is still playing, but it took him a while to get there.

What I'm saying is, I don't expect Kane to realize that he's declined, but that is what coaches and management is for- to make the tough decisions.
He's the same age as Kadri. For 5 years people keep saying Kadri is on the decline and until now Kadri is still dancing around just fine

Reactions: McHelpus

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
watched some finals locker room footage last night on youtube and was surprised to think most the clips of the coach talking pregame showed Kane pouting in the background lol

Must have been from the drop show or something, but HF loves body language.

It feels like this team has transcended personal success, and maybe Kane doesn't get that. Some leaders have chewed him out on the ice, and it could be worse in the room.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
He's the same age as Kadri. For 6 years people keep saying Kadri is on the decline and until now Kadri is still dancing around just fine
Kadri is a skill player and not a PF who's been oft-injured the last 2 years. From that draft, most forwards have either retired or declined. Tavares, Duchene, and Brayden Schenn were the other 3 forwards drafted in the top 5 in 09. Aside from Duchene, Kadri and Kreider, all other forwards from that draft have declined in recent years.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If Kane is on IR the team will not accrue cap space so they would only have the $2.5M or so to spend. But at the deadline getting teams to eat cap is not that hard.
The extra AAV at the TDL was nice to have last year. But if we don’t get cap arruel we will just have to operate like years past. Not too bad.

So 2.5+3.25(Ceci)=5.75 could get us quite the defenceman if JJ can find a way.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Kane+Ceci for Kadri 25% retained. Calgary get 2 shorter contracts and Kane can be put on LTIR. The Oilers free up 3M.

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Kadri-Drai-Arvidsson
RNH-Henrique-Perry
Janmark-McLeod-Brown

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Kulak
Broberg-J. Brown
I was thinking about Kadri too, he would be a nice add, might even play him at 3C and move Henrique to LW3

Reactions: Canovin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The extra AAV at the TDL was nice to have last year. But if we don’t get cap arruel we will just have to operate like years past. Not too bad.

About 3.75M. The 2M we need for Broberg and Holloway

I was thinking about Kadri too, he would be a nice add, might even play him at 3C and move Henrique to LW3
So many options with Kadri and he's exactly what we need. A pest.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Kadri is a skill player and not a PF who's been oft-injured the last 2 years. From that draft, most forwards have either retired or declined. Tavares, Duchene, and Brayden Schenn were the other 3 forwards drafted in the top 5 in 09. Aside from Duchene, Kadri and Kreider, all other forwards from that draft have declined in recent years.

What kind of injury history do we have with Evander Kane?

Besides getting his wrist sliced open..

Honestly curious. I don't know anything from Winnipeg/Buffalo/San Jose

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
No, I've been pretty consistent in my criticism of him as a human being from day 1.

As a teammate? The story will come out, I'm sure, and it'll be something to the effect of "get this guy the f*** out of here - signed Leon Draisaitl".
I get it. I know someone who played on the Jets when he was there. I don’t think anyone thinks he’s a saint however you can’t hold unfounded S.A claims against him and try to use those to paint him as some monster. If the courts had any thing that suggested he was abusing woman he wouldn’t have full custody of his kids. My old boss was falsely accused of SA by a scorned lover and got burned in the news. Only for the person to admit they made it up but not before it ruined my bosses image and career.

Point is sure he has had gambling issues, team mate issues, attitude issues. However in Edmonton he’s been involved in charity, a family man and by the sounds of it at least a decent teammate. He’s clearly made an effort.

Will I be surprised If it comes out he’s being a problem? No. Will I be surprised if there is nothing to these rumours? Also no.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

The problem with defensemen at the deadline this year is that there are slim pickings as far as UFA defensemen on teams that will likely miss the post-season. So you are possibly looking at a guy with term and that makes retention more challenging unless it is a bigger deal. And if the target is a RHD its even bleaker because the UFA class following the 2025-2026 year is also very weak.

To get an impact RHD I think they will need to be creative, not just because of the cap but also with the assets they move out.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We all knew Kane had his warts when we got him. None of that really is an issue as long as he brings his brand of hockey on the ice. If he’s not 100%, he can’t bring it though and he simply needs to sit and rehab.

He’s still a unicorn in this League and can bring value in the playoffs. We solve our cap issues instantly with him on LTIR and can still bank on him bringing his game for the playoffs. That’s gotta be the ideal solution at this point. Doubt teams are lining up to trade for an injured player with his potentially bad PR too.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hav
The problem with defensemen at the deadline this year is that there are slim pickings as far as UFA defensemen on teams that will likely miss the post-season. So you are possibly looking at a guy with term and that makes retention more challenging unless it is a bigger deal. And if the target is a RHD its even bleaker because the UFA class following the 2025-2026 year is also very weak.

To get an impact RHD I think they will need to be creative, not just because of the cap but also with the assets they move out.

Haven’t looked at the list of UFA RD yet, but I could see it. It’s usually slim pickings for RD and there will be question marks with anyone in that 3M range.

You’re right. If we want a surer bet upgrade and something more significant we will need to find more cap. Considering what we saw out of Nurse in the playoffs, I wouldn’t be opposed to going for a larger fish. Guessing the Parayko talks will once again be a hot topic around here this year.

More mercs for Detroit, their forward prospect must not be hitting in a big way.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hav

Haven’t looked at the list of UFA RD yet, but I could see it. It’s usually slim pickings for RD and there will be question marks with anyone in that 3M range.

You’re right. If we want a surer bet upgrade and something more significant we will need to find more cap. Considering what we saw out of Nurse in the playoffs, I wouldn’t be opposed to going for a larger fish. Guessing the Parayko talks will once again be a hot topic around here this year.

More mercs for Detroit, their forward prospect must not be hitting in a big way.
I doubt Nurse waives to St. Louis. But I can see Oilers trading Kulak and Ceci with a sizeable sweetener for Parayko if St. Louis hits down bottom.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
If Kane is on IR the team will not accrue cap space so they would only have the $2.5M or so to spend. But at the deadline getting teams to eat cap is not that hard.
Which option do you think is better? Putting Kane on LTIR or trading him so that we can accrue cap space? Assuming the Oilers have that choice

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
And this post is based on what?

Evander Kane is the man who got his clothes thrown into the shower in his last days in Winnipeg by his Jets teammates. He went to Buffalo, put up good numbers and got dealt for NOTHING just to get him away from those players off-ice. He was as publicly trashed by teammates in San Jose as any NHL player EVER is. It's not just about his problem gambling or messy divorce. Anna Kane is not his only accuser and the rest of his behavior completely falls in line with that of an abusive douchebag, whether or not she is also a loon.

Elliotte Friedmann says the Oilers relationship with him is currently "nasty". He's getting into fights with players on camera, during the game, who are blatantly accusing him of being lazy. Which, you know, he obviously is anytime he doesn't get to play with top-six players. He's the dude who complains about his icetime to the media during a 16 game win streak while he is completely worthless shift by shift. Oilers can't win a game and he's scoring though? Big smiles.

There's a justified quote that sums up Evander Kane. You meet an asshole that day? You met an asshole. You meet assholes all the time? You are the asshole.

He's so obviously a problem of a human being and the Oilers are going to be the fourth organization to flush him. Be it trade or LTIR. The latter suits him fine, I'm sure, since he doesn't want to show up for work most of the time.
Jfc. Tell us how you really feel, but without the novella please. TLDR SK13 thinks Kane bad...🤪

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
The number of people who do "good work in the community" only to be otherwise monstrous in their personal lives is not small. Bill Gates has given billions to worthy causes, but still palled around with Epstein after Epstein was criminally exposed as a sex trafficker. Charlie Sheen was one of the most charitable actors in hollywood at the same time he was throwing lamps at his wife, throwing slurs out as his boss & mainlining cocaine.

The long, long history of bad behavior & his current status with the team follow an obvious pattern. Comes on good behavior because he has to be, ingratiates himself, gets a contract, mask comes off, he gets booted.
Give it a rest dude. Kane has been doing outstanding in the community, and has turned his life around. Take your speculation and personal bias, and wipe your ass. Don't forget to flush.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad