Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Woke up this morning and had an epiphany.

Oilers fans had gotten so used to bad or mediocre GMing that we actually forgot what good GMing looks (and feels) like until JJ reminded us in one day.
I'll reserve my thoughts until the season plays out. If Arvidsson plays 80% of the games - win. If Skinner isn't a defensive liability and scores like he can - win. If our goals against improves - win. If we don't need to toss in a sweetener to trade someone for cap purposes- win.
We are older, pipeline isn't the best. This is truly, Cup or Bust year

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Where's the proof Holland didn't want Knobby? Where's the proof Holland was stripped of this decision?

People are actin like Katz had security remove Holland from the building during this process
That’s been the rumour all year and Doug Maclean seemingly confirmed it on a podcast.

Hollands power in the final year appears to have been neutered.

Also, it was Jackson who said he hired Knob based on input from ex player clients of his that said he was the best coach they ever had.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
That’s been the rumour all year and Doug Maclean seemingly confirmed it on a podcast.

Also, it was Jackson who said he hired Knob based on input from ex player clients of his that said he was the best coach they ever had.

So when that Brown contract was a disaster that was Jackson?

I guess we should have fired JJ back in Jan for that horrible contract that was gonna cost us in this years cap too

Member when ppl wanted Holland fired for that?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Dont know what's worse:
The annoying little brother [Flames/CP] or the toxic obnoxious cousin [Nucks and Nucks media]

It's the Nucks.

I don't know if I have ever hated a sports entity (by that I mean teams, fans, media, the whole picture) as much as I hated the 2011 era Nucks. Them spinning into irrelevance for so long and a lot of their fans hopping off the wagon caused me to forget just how terrible their fans are as basic human beings.

I hate the Flames and hate their fans, but that is more being fuelled by the natural rivalry, not a lack of basic decency. Nuck fans and media are the worst of the worst in any North American pro sport.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

I’m trying to find the article where a former GM of the Otters was called by Jackson to see if Knoblauch was capable of handling and ready to assume the HC duties in Edmonton, and I can’t find it now. I posted it months ago but I’m leaving tomorrow on holidays and don’t have time to find it.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
It's the Nucks.

I don't know if I have ever hated a sports entity (by that I mean teams, fans, media, the whole picture) as much as I hated the 2011 era Nucks. Them spinning into irrelevance for so long and a lot of their fans hopping off the wagon caused me to forget just how terrible their fans are as basic human beings.

I hate the Flames and hate their fans, but that is more being fuelled by the natural rivalry, not a lack of basic decency. Nuck fans and media are the worst of the worst in any North American pro sport.
Have to agree with this 100%. How quickly that fan base forgot the preferential treatment the team received during the sedin years. All we heard all playoffs was how the oilers were the darling of the league and it was fixed so McDavid would win the cup. As if the NHL would ever do anything to help the Oilers. The only reason we were not punted in an earlier round was the PK was almost flawless. We had less PP in every single series the difference was our PP scored big goals at big times.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's the Nucks.

This, this is absolutely correct.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Holland was average here. His bads cancelled out his goods. Terrible negotiator and wants to be play it fair while most of the GMs are ruthless and will do anything to make their teams better.

If the Oilers had JJ instead of Chia and Holland, we'd probably be a dynasty]/b]
If either of those GMs were negotiating from the position JJ had coming off a Cup Final run, odds are either of them would have seen better opportunities.

Too many factors go into what options a team has available to them in terms of attracting FAs. But I don't think it can be argued that players were willing to take a paycut in terms of AAV and term to try and make a run in 2025.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
So when that Brown contract was a disaster that was Jackson?

I guess we should have fired JJ back in Jan for that horrible contract that was gonna cost us in this years cap too

Member when ppl wanted Holland fired for that?

I am not sure when Hollands power was removed……

Perhaps in November when the team was in a tail spin and Katz was looking at Jack Campbell in the minors and Connor Brown doing nothing on the ice and decided Holland had done enough…..

Also, Jackson was hired in August 2023 and Brown signed in July…..so it’s pretty clear Holland signed that deal.

Holland not re-signing has done more for his image on this site than any transaction, it’s funny how worked up some are getting when you even mention he was average in his time here.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I'll reserve my thoughts until the season plays out. If Arvidsson plays 80% of the games - win. If Skinner isn't a defensive liability and scores like he can - win. If our goals against improves - win. If we don't need to toss in a sweetener to trade someone for cap purposes- win.
We are older, pipeline isn't the best. This is truly, Cup or Bust year
No it isn’t. No one is signed to long term, detrimental deals. McDavid and Draisaitl have a 6-7 year window here.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Ken had five years and was paid 25 million.

Jackson's performance yesterday is what we all wanted from Holland every damn year.

I don't feel bad for Ken whatsoever.
I can see why you feel that way, but JJ benefited from the SCF game 7. If they went out in the second round we likely don't have the offseason we have had so far. JJ or not.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I can see why you feel that way, but JJ benefited from the SCF game 7. If they went out in the second round e likely don't have the offseason we have had so far. JJ or not.
I agree he did. There’s zero doubt that cup run had a massive impact on UFAs signing here. However I do think JJ played some hard ball with the salaries. Would Holland have done the same?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Woke up this morning and had an epiphany.

Oilers fans had gotten so used to bad or mediocre GMing that we actually forgot what good GMing looks (and feels) like until JJ reminded us in one day.

To be fair Jackson - regardless of who you ask in the league - that was elite gming from him on July 1.

Like even Oilers haters recognize that Jackson did some work that no one thought was really feasible. Jackson did some shit that if one of us posted as suggestions on the mains prior they'd have laughed at us and called us homers.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I agree he did. There’s zero doubt that cup run had a massive impact on UFAs signing here. However I do think JJ played some hard ball with the salaries. Would Holland have done the same?

Yup, ultimately it’s both the success of the run (which Holland played big a part in with player acquisitions etc over the years, but JJ with Knob hire etc), and JJ willing to go over the cap.

I’ve never really felt the need to pile on Holland like some, but assuming he had “complete autonomy” July 1, I think he lets Henrique know they’d love to have him back but they simply don’t have the cap to sign him and he signs elsewhere. I highly doubt he dares to go the Kane LTIR route / Ceci trade (whatever it ends up being). Probably doesn’t re-sign Stecher either. My impression is that Holland was simple uncomfortable doing gymnastics with the cap, probably something a lot of pre cap GMs felt here and there at least

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
I was listening to some pod today with Doug Maclean. He said Ken Holland is leaving Edmonton because of ownership. Made it sound like ownership meddling/ owner did him dirty somehow.

Thought it was interesting because I’ve never heard that before.
that was your first mistake....:sarcasm:

Although MacLean is a complete and total knucklehead, i would think there probably is a bit of validity to it.

It's entirely possible when Katz brought in Jackson, and essentially gave him carte blanche to do as he see's fit, Holland probably saw that as a lack of confidence in him by Katz, which could be a bit of a slap in the face to Holland. Nobody wants to work for a boss that doesn't have confidence in them.

Reactions: Sanchez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad