Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That’s usually what I’d have from either brewery, or dunkels. Been a while though for either. I’m going to see if I can find some microbrewed German beers next time, there is a specialty beer store nearby that has one of the best import selections in Edmonton

Buy the German beer advent calendar when it comes out in November (KegNCork has them but they sell out fast). All German microbreweries- no bad selections!

Fahr is excellent! Their Hefe is really good. Our Beer Page – Fahr Beer

All their beers are great! Their Kolsch is excellent.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Don’t say that on the mains lol

According to some on that thread apparently we’re not cup contenders :laugh:
It's pretty funny but it's the usual suspects who say that. My favorite is when they say the Oilers will never win with this defence, despite them losing by one goal in game 7 of the SCF and having a historically good PK.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Certain posters on here (shouldn’t be hard to guess which ones) were saying that the reaction to Brown’s first goal was embarrassing and the fans shouldn’t have been celebrating him with the year he was having.

Yeah, there are idiots everywhere. How anybody could have an issue with somebody finally getting a huge monkey off their back and getting some success in their career again, is beyond me. You can be upset about the overpay of the bonus that applies this upcoming year, and still be happy for the human getting his career back on track even a little bit. But yeah, some people.....

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Holland did exactly what he set out to do. His 5 year plan was to build a team that is a legit threat for the Stanley Cup. 1 win away from the cup, I'd consider that a success. Taking over from Chia's disaster and than having to deal with COVID, it wasn't an easy task, can also throw in Klefbom's Injuries and Larsson's heart break. If either of those guys were still around, Nurse wouldn't be making 9+ million. He did what he needed to do, now it's time to take the next step and Jackson's first swing is a homerun. Not saying he was perfect, far from, but he did his job.

I have claimed multiple times that the Oilers would have won a cup, and maybe more, if we had normal "cap progression" throughout the back half of the McDrai contracts. When we signed those 8 year deals, it was widely accepted that we wouldn't be really competitive until the back halves of the contracts. Everybody assumed we'd see the normal 3-4% increases per year, like we always had, and by year 5 we'd be able to have a more deep, competitive roster. Then COVID happens and we have a flat cap for 3 straight years. It royally, ROYALLY, screwed the Oilers cap situation, and forced the team into being basically just McDrai for longer than it should have been.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Holy shit are Flames goofs ever obsessed with our team. The have more posts about free agency in that stupid E=NG thread than they do about their own fukn team.

WHAT A BUNCH OF SAD SACK LOSERS!!!

What spin are they possibly putting on our July 1 to tell themselves it's ok?

"Pfffft they didn't even get term on those contracts, nobody wants to be in Edmonton LOL!!!"

I'll place my bet on "lol this is Draisaitl's last season lol."

I have claimed multiple times that the Oilers would have won a cup, and maybe more, if we had normal "cap progression" throughout the back half of the McDrai contracts. When we signed those 8 year deals, it was widely accepted that we wouldn't be really competitive until the back halves of the contracts. Everybody assumed we'd see the normal 3-4% increases per year, like we always had, and by year 5 we'd be able to have a more deep, competitive roster. Then COVID happens and we have a flat cap for 3 straight years. It royally, ROYALLY, screwed the Oilers cap situation, and forced the team into being basically just McDrai for longer than it should have been.

This is a buried headline.

If the worst happens and we make it through the McDavid/Drai era with no cup, the flat cap will be far and away the #1 reason IMO.

Reactions: onetweasy

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Holland was average here. His bads cancelled out his goods. Terrible negotiator and wants to be play it fair while most of the GMs are ruthless and will do anything to make their teams better.

If the Oilers had JJ instead of Chia and Holland, we'd probably be a dynasty

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
disagree

signing Zach Hyman was a grand slam...trading for Ekholm was at least a 3-run homer haha

My home run analogy was winning a cup. Not related to some of the great moves he made.

Holland was the best GM we had since Lowe……but the bar was pretty f***ing low.

Holland was decent. He wasn’t amazing IMO.

How did we all feel about Holland in November 2023? Before JJ came in and replaced Woody with Knob?

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Ken had five years and was paid 25 million.

Jackson's performance yesterday is what we all wanted from Holland every damn year.

I don't feel bad for Ken whatsoever.
If you listen to the new signers interviews most saud it was the culture here, the winning. All set up by Holland.
But I dont feel bad for Ken, it is a business for players, owners and management

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

"Pfffft they didn't even get term on those contracts, nobody wants to be in Edmonton LOL!!!"

If the worst happens and we make it through the McDavid/Drai era with no cup, the flat cap will be far and away the #1 reason IMO.
I'd argue losing two cornerstone defensemen, Klefbom and Larsson, who were aligned with the prime year development of this team's core forwards. Add that Klefbom hole created room for Nurse's growth which led to his challenging contract cap wise for this team. A healthy Klef and this team's trajectory is different in a lot of ways. Conversely, the covid cap was like a universal constant that effected all franchises.

Holland had to fix threadbare depth in all position areas. He finally got to the defense with Ekholm game changer deal but burned through quality assets getting there with a 2nd pick each for Kulak and Keith; 1st, top prospect for Ek.

Reactions: Oilhawks and K1984

Boner Pills

Jan 25, 2013
Edmonton

I just can't understand people wasting their life obsessing over another team and being a chronic complaining whiny bitch. Definitely some mental disorders going on around there.

Reactions: Oilhawks

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Holland fires Woody regardless. That was inevitable.
Does he though? Holland is pretty patient.

Does Holland go and hire an AHL coach at that point in time or does he go with the standard “veteran” coach to right the ship?

I am not even sure why I got sucked into this debate as I do not hate Holland at all.

My opinion is Holland was decent but he wasn’t operating like some of the best GM’s in the game and I am glad he wasn’t re-signed.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Fair point. It always seemed like Holland wasn't enamoured with Woody.

That said, does he bring in Knoblauch or a retread like Gallant?

Irrelevant imo. My point is ppl are pissin on Holland when being a GM is a body of work
I hate when ppl cherry pick narratives.

Give me a cup winning team and i can cherrypick some bad decisions too

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Holland doesn’t get enough credit imo. The organization was a soup sandwich before he came. McDavid was on a line with AHLers, prospects were handled like grenades, no playoffs… just an absolute shit show from top to bottom. He was far from perfect but at least the organization got some stability under him.

Needed to move on though. We’re trying to win a cup and he just wasn’t nearly aggressive enough. The “squeeze” comment really comes to mind. In a tight cap world you have to be willing to squeeze whenever you can. I don’t think Holland would have done nearly what JJ did this long weekend.
He wasn’t an absolute tire fire like Pistol Pete was and you are right, he laid a bit of a more solid foundation down. He brought in Ekholm and dumped Lucic on Calgary, which turned into a Neal buyout. Hyman wanted to be only here so it’s hard to give him full credit for luring him to Edmonton but that contract is a beauty, only to be offset by the $4 million per season over pay to #25.

The days of being a GM where you can sit back and see what you’ve got on ice vs what you built on paper are long gone and he was unwilling to move past that. Fall behind early, it’s usually curtains in a 32-team, cap controlled world. The 16 game heater under Knoblauch saved them…if it was a 10 game win streak, they’d have been in a battle with St Louis for WC2. Holland’s “wait and see” MO doesn’t fit firing a coach in November, despite it being needed. Jackson needs to bring in someone who isn’t afraid to bend other GMs over a barrel to get what he wants. I think his aggressive July 1st was basically the characteristics and blueprint of what kind of GM he is after.

Reactions: onetweasy

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Does he though? Holland is pretty patient.

Does Holland go and hire an AHL coach at that point in time or does he go with the standard “veteran” coach to right the ship?

I am not even sure why I got sucked into this debate as I do not hate Holland at all.

My opinion is Holland was decent but he wasn’t operating like some of the best GM’s in the game and I am glad he wasn’t re-signed.

Where's the proof Holland didn't want Knobby? Where's the proof Holland was stripped of this decision?

People are actin like Katz had security remove Holland from the building during this process

• Haha
Reactions: ThePhoenixx

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Holy shit are Flames goofs ever obsessed with our team. The have more posts about free agency in that stupid E=NG thread than they do about their own fukn team.

WHAT A BUNCH OF SAD SACK LOSERS!!!

Dont know what's worse:
The annoying little brother [Flames/CP] or the toxic obnoxious cousin [Nucks and Nucks media]

Reactions: Oilhawks and rec28

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad