Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's not a stretch at all that we'd shut down Kane. It happens in the league. The downside is that I believe it means we wouldn't be able to accrue cap space.

But just look at Hall in Chicago. He apent the whole year on LTIR.

The worst case scenario is that we'd have to move assets to make space when Kane returned. If so, we could spend those assets when the problem showed itself. It might not be an issue, if we have another player go down on LTIR

This is where I think Holland's philosophy and the other GM's philosophy is different. I think there were times we could have used LTIR but Holland did not use it for whatever reason. Other GMS are very quick to use LTIR

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I know STL has been looking to change their blueline.

I wonder if you could move Kane out, full ticket.

If you could convince Justin Faulk to waive his NTC and move Ceci and stuff for him?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I know STL has been looking to change their blueline.

I wonder if you could move Kane out, full ticket.

If you could convince Justin Faulk to waive his NTC and move Ceci and stuff for him?

Faulk's one of those American players that I've seen that never want to play in Canadian markets like a player in Gudas for example. Maybe mindsets can change after seeing comments from players like both Skinner and Henrique, but I'm skeptical on Faulk.

I'd love to have Larsson back in Edmonton, but don't think he'll ever come back after his dad past away here. Pretty slim pickings. Not sure who we can honestly acquire to remove Ceci, but I have optimism that JJ (and the future GM) can find that right piece. The Oilers are now only 1 true top 4 RHD from being a full complete team.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I agree with you that trying to keep Kane off ltir so they can accrue is the best case and also that they can play the first part of the year with a combination of Broberg, Kulak, Stetcher, Brown in that 4 spot.

But even if they sign Holloway and Broberg for 1M each and they keep a combination of the cheapest options possible I’m not sure they’d have enough space, it would be tight and they’d probably be running with one extra player until Kane was healthy.

I guess it depends on Kane’s injury, how they time any surgery he might need and what kind of recovery time said injury has. But either way I think it would be smart to move Ceci this summer if you’ve got options to, even Kane if there is an opportunity is worth exploring and it sounds like they might have looked into both those options.
The qualifying offer for Broberg & Holloway is $874,125 each. So likely both get squeezed this season for the big picture. The total overage after moving out Ceci money looks to be $898,417 so that would mean at least one fringe guy to Bakersfield likely the strange Josh Brown contract to be cap compliant leaving them $101,583 below Cap. (My bad math skills should be noted).

Now it's realistic to assume Kane starting the season on Injured Reserve and with that I believe the team can replace him in the line-up. That gives some cover for the defense depth.

Will be interesting to watch Jackson and team maneuver. But every penny will count in this critical season and I'd be surprised LTIR is an option unless Kane is significantly compromised for basically the season. He's shown to want to play so this will need to be a Doctor's no-brainer.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Warren Foegele might have the least accurate shot I’ve ever witnessed.

If he had hands he would be a 30 goal player that is coveted, but unfortunately for him and his pocket book he doesn’t. Good in almost every other respect than hands.
I think it's processor more than hands. Gets in trouble with time to think and seems to make better decisions with reaction situations. Elite wheels that outrun his ability to think the game.

Reactions: K1984

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hadn’t heard this one till now. But apparently Serravelli interviewed Drai and asked about impact of ownership, Drai said: “I play for the best owner in professional sports”

Also, wasn’t there a picture of Katz and Drai hugging recently?

Katz has put in the work to make our market more attractive than it’s ever been. And now is also building significant relationships with our Star Players which can only be a good thing. Yeh we got a good owner here. And Drai is staying for sure. I want 12.5M AAV, a symbolic gesture towards his pal McD and a perfect win win number.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Hadn’t heard this one till now. But apparently Serravelli interviewed Drai and asked about impact of ownership, Drai said: “I play for the best owner in professional sports”

Katz has put in the work to make our market more attractive than it’s ever been. And now is also building significant relationships with our Star Players which can only be a good thing. Yeh we got a good owner here. And Drai is staying for sure. I want 12.5M AAV, a symbolic gesture towards his pal McD

I was listening to some pod today with Doug Maclean. He said Ken Holland is leaving Edmonton because of ownership. Made it sound like ownership meddling/ owner did him dirty somehow.

Thought it was interesting because I’ve never heard that before.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I was listening to some pod today with Doug Maclean. He said Ken Holland is leaving Edmonton because of ownership. Made it sound like ownership meddling/ did him dirty.

Interesting. I wouldn’t mind listening to that, which pod was it?

I actually kinda can see it. The firing of Wright, the hiring of Jackson and the subsequent hiring of Pracey. That had to come from Katz who was not happy about our drafting record. At the beginning of last year, Katz had to have decided that Kenny wasn’t doing a good enough job. So maybe that’s why Kenny feels he was screwed, but it was really just Katz making an objective assessment of his job performance.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I was listening to some pod today with Doug Maclean. He said Ken Holland is leaving Edmonton because of ownership. Made it sound like ownership meddling/ owner did him dirty somehow.

Haven’t heard the pod, but could it simply be because Jeff Jackson was hired above him? That’s kind of “ownership meddling”, no?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Very interesting.

I doubt Holland was a fan of JJ coming in to basically do his job. Ownership probably said he’s driving the ship now.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I think the Avs are still clearly as good as we are, and maybe better. Vegas is still really good, but I think got worse. Canucks still a great team with great tending, which can be the deciding factor in any series. Stars are still a great young team as well, with lots of depth scoring and good tending.

Truthfully, of those 4, only Vegas got worse in any real way IMO.

Disagree - Avs losing Nichushkin and not replacing him is a huge blow. They look like a completely different team without him and Mackinnon will have to replicate his career year which won’t be easy.

Avs are probably still best of the bunch amongst Vegas and Canucks.

Canucks overachieved hard and lost big pieces in Zadorov and Lindholm. I don’t think they’ll be a great team, I honestly think they’ll regress next year. Everything that could go right for them went right this year.

Dallas hard to read since the young guys could take step forward but definitely got worse on paper as well. Lost Tanev, Suter, Pavelski and Hakanpaa and replacements were

I sound like the biggest hater right now :laugh: but I don’t think any of these teams got better

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Disagree - Avs losing Nichushkin and not replacing him is a huge blow. They look like a completely different team without him and Mackinnon will have to replicate his career year which won’t be easy.

Avs are probably still best of the bunch amongst Vegas and Canucks.

Canucks overachieved hard and lost big pieces in Zadorov and Lindholm. I don’t think they’ll be a great team, I honestly think they’ll regress next year. Everything that could go right for them went right this year.

Dallas hard to read since the young guys could take step forward but definitely got worse on paper as well. Lost Tanev, Suter, Pavelski and Hakanpaa and replacements were

I sound like the biggest hater right now :laugh: but I don’t think any of these teams got better
I agree with you. The team that made the most improvements was Nashville. I could see them finishing higher than both the Canucks and the Stars next year if everything goes right for them. But we're still a better team than them.

Reactions: Oilhawks

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

That was definitely out there during the Dark Period of last season. Not sure what relation that has to him leaving (his contract was up), but there was talk about him all of a sudden being restricted in his work.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think it was the Bob McCown podcast today
Listened to the relevant part. Really interesting. Under pressure from ownership? Just guessing, but it sounds like Coffey and Katz probably were watching him like a hawk. Maybe even questioning certain moves.

I don’t mind it. But I can picture that annoying Kenny.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

Hollywood55

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com

Katz has put in the work to make our market more attractive than it’s ever been. And now is also building significant relationships with our Star Players which can only be a good thing. Yeh we got a good owner here. And Drai is staying for sure. I want 12.5M AAV, a symbolic gesture towards his pal McD and a perfect win win number.
Draisaitl will sign the 8 year max contract. He's a very loyal guy by his nature.

Hollywood55

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com

Seems like that's a rumor in every canadian market to be honest. Hear that in Vancouver all the time. "Owner pressured GM to sign this player" etc. In reality, Campbell would have received that contract elsewhere on free agency. And tbh if Katz had to "pressure" Holland to sign a goalie when goalie was our most obvious weakness then maybe Ken shouldn't have been gm lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad