Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

rpm197509

Nov 29, 2014
I'd like to think that Nurse has enough pride in himself to have a productive offseason and rebound next year. He'll never be a 9 mil Dman but he can at least play like a 7-8 mil one.
I get what your saying but I think he can play closer to a 6 million dollar D man. He can't even play aswell as Ekholm who makes around 6 mil.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
He literally was walking with his Dad on Whyte and watched him die on the street. Time heals all wounds people say but I could never step foot on that street again if was me. I think mental health is much more important than a cup to him or he wouldn’t have signed where he did.

Sounds like he died while Larsson was at practice.

"Just 50 years old, Robert Larsson was a fit, former NHL draft pick and Swedish professional hockey player who had arrived in Edmonton with his wife to watch their son Adam play hockey. They checked into their hotel after a transcontinental flight from Sweden, and while Adam was on the practice ice with the Edmonton Oilers, Robert went out to stretch his legs.

Minutes later, just a few blocks away inside Rogers Place arena, a coach skated over to Adam mid-practice, said very few words, and Adam was gone. His father had suffered a heart attack, and it was fatal."

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Read the first page.

Foegele is apparently gritty, physical, likes to hit, a disruptor, etc.

I had to bite my fingers to resist the urge to comment in their thread.
The highlight of Foegele's career with Edmonton is that if you squint while he's carrying the puck into the Ozone he looks like Mcdavid for a second. Then you unsquint your eyes and realize it's Foegele and nothing is going to happen.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Sounds like he died while Larsson was at practice.

"Just 50 years old, Robert Larsson was a fit, former NHL draft pick and Swedish professional hockey player who had arrived in Edmonton with his wife to watch their son Adam play hockey. They checked into their hotel after a transcontinental flight from Sweden, and while Adam was on the practice ice with the Edmonton Oilers, Robert went out to stretch his legs.

Minutes later, just a few blocks away inside Rogers Place arena, a coach skated over to Adam mid-practice, said very few words, and Adam was gone. His father had suffered a heart attack, and it was fatal."

Wow I stand corrected I was led to believe he was walking with him when it happened

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No to Barrie. Can't skate, can't defend, is more of a shooter and not a great distributor. He's not a championship calibre dman; especially with Pooshart. He's not actually a good puck moving dman at all and brings nothing.
I don't mind Barrie but imo if we are looking for a new partner for Nurse he has to be a good skater. Nurse looked his best during the playoffs when he was with either Broberg or Kulak.

It seems counter intuitive because Nurse is a great skater, so you'd think you could put a slower player with him, but it just doesn't work for whatever reason.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It won’t cost anything to dump Ceci. He’s cheap in this D market and it’s not like he has term left.

If Holland could swap Barrie to make the cap work for Ekholm I’m sure JJ could swap Ceci to make the cap work for that upgrade.

JJ is smart. He’s not going to push a young defender to play his offside all year when he’s just getting acclimated to the league.
I think they act proactively controlling their situation versus reactively with the volatility of the trade deadline. This off season gives the greatest flexibility to do so. As well to be cap compliant and begin accruing cap space from game 1 of season. Ensuring the greatest amount of accrued cap has to be foremost in their thinking. Math peeps can probably advise what $500,000 from game 1 accrues to until the NHL deadline.

Gregor posted a recent scouting opinion of multiple NHL scouts who believe Broberg is a top four d-man at this moment with further upside in 2-3 years to be a top pair guy. He's 23 years old and no reason a deep, elite team who pushed him into deep end final four playoff ice-time won't continue that faith through a long regular season. Even with any wobbles it still builds out vital growth of a support player they'll want to get back to a Cup Final.

He's at a great age and with full development of pro seasoning since he was a teenager to have the confidence in. He's got a 100 NHL games of progressive experience most recently pushing final four Cup playoff competition. There's safety nets with Stetcher and Kulak if something - I really doubt - sets this player back.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I think they act proactively controlling their situation versus reactively with the volatility of the trade deadline. This off season gives the greatest flexibility to do so. As well to be cap compliant and begin accruing cap space from game 1 of season. Ensuring the greatest amount of accrued cap has to be foremost in their thinking. Math peeps can probably advise what $500,000 from game 1 accrues to until the NHL deadline.

Gregor posted a recent scouting opinion of multiple NHL scouts who believe Broberg is a top four d-man at this moment with further upside in 2-3 years to be a top pair guy. He's 23 years old and no reason a deep, elite team who pushed him into deep end final four playoff ice-time won't continue that faith through a long regular season. Even with any wobbles it still builds out vital growth of a support player they'll want to get back to a Cup Final.

He's at a great age and with full development of pro seasoning since he was a teenager to have the confidence in. He's got a 100 NHL games of progressive experience most recently pushing final four Cup playoff competition. There's safety nets with Stetcher and Kulak if something - I really doubt - sets this player back.

Yeah, I think he's going to be good and can fill that role. He's proven himself IMO.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
The highlight of Foegele's career with Edmonton is that if you squint while he's carrying the puck into the Ozone he looks like Mcdavid for a second. Then you unsquint your eyes and realize it's Foegele and nothing is going to happen.
for me it was when he fell awkwardly and i just saw the 7 on the back and cringed then saw it was foegle and let out a giant relief sigh, not that i want anyone to get hurt but if i had to pick between the 2 its not hard imo

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I still think they keep Ceci. He’s not that expensive and maybe you get lucky and a team offers you a decent asset for him at the deadline.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I still think they keep Ceci. He’s not that expensive and maybe you get lucky and a team offers you a decent asset for him at the deadline.
We'll see. Plays important PK minutes and tough to lose two right side PK D with he and Desharnais. I'm not a damn Ceci guy. The cap overage though is suspiciously close to Ceci's cap/salary line so I do see a way forward with Broberg but also importantly carving out critical cap accrual for this team's vital trade deadline.

I see less so this team (and quite possibly/likely Kane himself) going the LTIR route and cutting itself off from accruing cap space. That's a low value move before they even play a game and run through the regular season grind.

Reactions: Oilers88

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Who are they trading Ceci to at the deadline? Another contender? It might cost them to deal Ceci to a non-contender. They want to be fully in control of any movement they might have to make on a Cap threshold tightrope team. Accruing cap through this season is likely the best option with greatest flexibility. This assumes Kane isn't medically needing LTIR for the season.

Give your high pedigree cheap asset some real runway to gage his ability to grab the position (as he did at highest level of playoff competition) and have enough cover - as they do - to adapt and adjust as required. Being ready competitively including fully weaponized cap dollars is firmly with the second season in mind. This is a locked in veteran team that's had years of yo yo adversity. Well positioned to ride out regular season with some inexperience in one support position. Broberg is not a 20 year old green banana anymore.
I agree with you that trying to keep Kane off ltir so they can accrue is the best case and also that they can play the first part of the year with a combination of Broberg, Kulak, Stetcher, Brown in that 4 spot.

But even if they sign Holloway and Broberg for 1M each and they keep a combination of the cheapest options possible I’m not sure they’d have enough space, it would be tight and they’d probably be running with one extra player until Kane was healthy.

I guess it depends on Kane’s injury, how they time any surgery he might need and what kind of recovery time said injury has. But either way I think it would be smart to move Ceci this summer if you’ve got options to, even Kane if there is an opportunity is worth exploring and it sounds like they might have looked into both those options.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Also I was one of those who was disappointed that Staios left to Ottawa.

If that Chychrun trade was anything to go by though … probably a good thing he isn’t GM here.

I think that organization is just traumatized

That Chychrun trade was atrocious and I don’t even like Chychrun. A lot of sens fans are just like “oh well, least our right side is balanced, we had to do it”. Uh … no you didn’t lol

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I predict Ceci for a 3rd and we sign Suter for league min + performance bonuses. One last kick at the can. Would likely not play much, like Perry, but important depth for playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad