Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I hope we are in on Kylington. He's due for a breakout
He's LD though. We need a RD. That even has me wondering if Klingberg could capture his Dallas Stars form. He may be a good fit with Nurse, as he did best with Kulak and Broberg, who are smooth skaters with some puck moving.

But ultimately I don't think we are going to target any kind of project. Stecher is basically that. If we are targeting a D, and I think we are, it's got to be a clear upgrade on Ceci, and so likely by trade.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It was impossible to sign Henrique too. ;)
Little bit of a difference though, signing a UFA who wants to win and is at a relatively cheap price and short term, and just had a decent playoff, vs a guy making huge gobs of money long term and just crapped his pants in the most recent playoff run.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Little bit of a difference though, signing a UFA who wants to win and is at a relatively cheap price and short term, and just had a decent playoff, vs a guy making huge gobs of money long term and just crapped his pants in the most recent playoff run.
Dare to dream, Stoneman, dare to dream.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He's LD though. We need a RD. That even has me wondering if Klingberg could capture his Dallas Stars form. He may be a good fit with Nurse, as he did best with Kulak and Broberg, who are smooth skaters with some puck moving.

But ultimately I don't think we are going to target any kind of project. Stecher is basically that. If we are targeting a D, and I think we are, it's got to be a clear upgrade on Ceci, and so likely by trade.

Ceci is also more or less fine - as a bottom pair D man.

The issue at the end of the day is that Nurse needs an A grade babysitter to cover his warts. Theoretically he should be able to hold down a pair with an inexperienced partner like Broberg creating a more than capable Kulak - Ceci third pair, but he just can't.

To add to this conundrum further - Nurse seems to need a very specific type of D partner with him for him to not completely suck. It's possible we acquire someone at the deadline should work on paper, but doesn't which creates another round of musical chairs on the second pair.

The best solution? Darnell gets his shit together, takes ownership of how far his game has fallen, and takes it upon himself personally to not be the problem again next year. Unfortunately he either doesn't seem to have the capability to do this, or even recognize how bad he is to start with.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
As much as we would all love that it’s not happening he left because he couldn’t live where his dad died

You never know. They say "time heals all wounds". By the end of this season it'll be 7 years since his dad passed away. Coming back to a team he is familiar with to push for a Stanley Cup might not seem so bad by then.

Reactions: McDoused

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

The issue at the end of the day is that Nurse needs an A grade babysitter to cover his warts. Theoretically he should be able to hold down a pair with an inexperienced partner like Broberg creating a more than capable Kulak - Ceci third pair, but he just can't.

To add to this conundrum further - Nurse seems to need a very specific type of D partner with him for him to not completely suck. It's possible we acquire someone at the deadline should work on paper, but doesn't which creates another round of musical chairs on the second pair.

The best solution? Darnell gets his shit together, takes ownership of how far his game has fallen, and takes it upon himself personally to not be the problem again next year. Unfortunately he either doesn't seem to have the capability to do this, or even recognize how bad he is to start with.
I'd like to think that Nurse has enough pride in himself to have a productive offseason and rebound next year. He'll never be a 9 mil Dman but he can at least play like a 7-8 mil one.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So Kings fans aren’t happy with most of their offseason but they seem OK with Foegele because he’s physical.

1719962183989.gif

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I'd like to think that Nurse has enough pride in himself to have a productive offseason and rebound next year. He'll never be a 9 mil Dman but he can at least play like a 7-8 mil one.
I keep thinking that every year and every year he does the same damn thing. But, they keep trying him with the same damn partner.

This year, they need to change things up and stress a simple game from him. He has the physical tools, just outhinks himself way too much. I really hope that Coffey stays on as coach and works very closely with him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Imo the only solution is to get him a good partner. Even when we first got Ekholm, I originally thought maybe the idea was to get him to play with Nurse, as Ekholm plays both sides.

This isn't an unsual situation either. When a team has some bad goalie numbers, they don't assume it's all good if they buy a marquee goalie with a big price tag. They very often upgrade the defense as well as a way to set up the goalie to succeed. Even when McDavid starts slumping, our GMs have went out and got him good wingers, or the coach will do what the fans hate and play him with Draisaitl. We should never assume that a player's salary or talent are enough. They need talent around them.

Nurse is immovable, and he hasn't been working. Management is setting him up to be a fan whipping boy by giving him bottom pairing guys to play with, and then having the fans pile up on him when it doesn't work because he makes all that cash. This is the one last piece that makes our team the best in the league

Reactions: grego and asa

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The cap overage also lines up closely with Kane on LTIR.

That’s the move. I’d be surprised if they trade Ceci without a replacement in mind.

… I will say that I think they might try Stecher as that replacement.
No accruing of cap space if they only put Kane on LTIR.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Here’s what I think/hope Drai should sign for.

12.5M

Same number as McDavid. Would be a symbolic gesture and an acknowledgement to how much McD has helped him in his career. 100K lower than MacKinnon, which also makes sense on some level.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Nothing is stopping them from putting Kane on LTIR and then trading Ceci + at the deadline for an upgrade. This way you keep your defense as strong as possible for the entire season.
Who are they trading Ceci to at the deadline? Another contender? It might cost them to deal Ceci to a non-contender. They want to be fully in control of any movement they might have to make on a Cap threshold tightrope team. Accruing cap through this season is likely the best option with greatest flexibility. This assumes Kane isn't medically needing LTIR for the season.

Give your high pedigree cheap asset some real runway to gage his ability to grab the position (as he did at highest level of playoff competition) and have enough cover - as they do - to adapt and adjust as required. Being ready competitively including fully weaponized cap dollars is firmly with the second season in mind. This is a locked in veteran team that's had years of yo yo adversity. Well positioned to ride out regular season with some inexperience in one support position. Broberg is not a 20 year old green banana anymore.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Who are they trading Ceci to at the deadline? Another contender? It might cost them to deal Ceci to a non-contender. They want to be fully in control of any movement they might have to make on a Cap threshold tightrope team. Accruing cap through this season is likely the best option with greatest flexibility. This assumes Kane isn't medically needing LTIR for the season.

Give your high pedigree cheap asset some real runway to gage his ability to grab the position (as he did at highest level of playoff competition) and have enough cover - as they do - to adapt and adjust as required. Being ready competitively including fully weaponized cap dollars is firmly with the second season in mind. This is a locked in veteran team that's had years of yo yo adversity. Well positioned to ride out regular season with some inexperience in one support position. Broberg is not a 20 year old green banana anymore.
It won’t cost anything to dump Ceci. He’s cheap in this D market and it’s not like he has term left.

If Holland could swap Barrie to make the cap work for Ekholm I’m sure JJ could swap Ceci to make the cap work for that upgrade.

JJ is smart. He’s not going to push a young defender to play his offside all year when he’s just getting acclimated to the league.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011

100% agree with all of this- working around Darnell's play and contract has become a headache.

Ceci is actually a really big part of our PK. We already lost Vinny, if we dump Ceci we absolutely need someone who can be a regular on the PK. That means our candidate needs to be: (i) a solid all around defenceman capable of playing top 4 minutes; (ii) an effective puck mover, able to cover for Nurse's deficiencies; (iii) capable of playing on our top PK unit.

That's a hell of a player I'm describing. Looking around at players who come close to that description and might be available, the best I can come up with would be Andersson, Weegar, and maybe Pionk if Winnipeg falls back this year?

I think we have to hope that Nurse gets himself together and/or Broberg hits the ground running as a top 4 defenceman like Bouchard and Klefbom did. If not, we're going to have a serious problem to solve.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I keep seeing this but why wouldn't he waive at the TDL? It would only be for a few months and he could win a cup?
He literally was walking with his Dad on Whyte and watched him die on the street. Time heals all wounds people say but I could never step foot on that street again if was me. I think mental health is much more important than a cup to him or he wouldn’t have signed where he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad